Hello and welcome exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for Mains exams with new pattern cloze test and sentence fillers problems.
In the passage below some words are underlined with numbers. You have to find if there is any error and replace it with most appropriate word from the options given for each gap. If there is no improvement needed, option “E” is applicable.
The Government seems to be in right earnest to ensure more transparency (1) in governance. The Prime Minister’s announcement that his Government is absolutely (2) drafting legislation to establish the citizen’s right to information is indeed welcome. Though the talk on the right to information is not new, we may appeal (3) the bill to be brought early this time. The previous Government had set up a high-level committee to prepare a draft bill. But nothing has been heard about the matter since, though (4) the committee did quite some work. The issue, however, has come to such a pass that a solution cannot be longed(5) further. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, a foreign judge once said, while upholding(6) the unwarranted secrecy in an administrative system. When those in authority know that people have the right to ask questions and the government is under the property(7) to provide them with answers, breach(8) of authority, or of public finances, for personal or party ends is less likely to happen.
- (a) strictness (b) rudeness (c) leniency (d) economy (e) No improvement needed
- (a) personally (b) busy (c) not (d) reluctantly (e) No improvement needed
- (a) expect (b) wait (c) try (d) frustrate (e) No improvement needed
- (a) even (b) as (c) because (d) until (e) No improvement needed
- (a) found (b) expected (c) delayed (d) looked (e) No improvement needed
- (a) nurturing (b) criticising (c) demanding (d) appreciating (e) No improvement needed
- (a) pretention (b) affect (c) substance (d) obligation (e) No improvement needed
- (a) misuse (b) governance (c) dishonour (d) curbing (e) No improvement needed