Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 23 April 2019. These are important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2019, NHB Assistant Manager, CWC 2019 and SBI PO 2019 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 23 April 2019
Banking and Finance
SBI launches India’s first ‘Green Car Loan’ to promote use of EVs
- State Bank of India (SBI)– on the occasion of World Earth Day, launched India’s first ‘Green Car Loan’ (Electric Vehicle), to encourage customers to buy Electric Vehicles.
- To achieve the purpose, the bank will offer loan at 20 bps lesser than the interest rate on the existing car loan schemes.
- SBI Green Car Loan (Electric Vehicle) scheme that comes with the longest repayment period of up to eight years, is a strategic inclusion to the bank’s auto loan segment, offered with zero processing fee for the first six months of the launch.
Nasim Zaidi quits Jet Airways board
- Jet Airways’ non-executive and non-independent director Nasim Zaidi has quit the board.
- Zaidi, the former Chief Election Commissioner and ex-civil aviation secretary, joined the Jet Airways board in August 2018.
- Grounded carrier Jet Airways on April 22, 2019 informed that Zaidi resigned from the post citing personal reasons and constraints of time.
- The airline, which ceased all its operations temporarily last week, is under the management control of SBI-led consortium of lenders following a debt-recast plan approved by its board last month.
SpiceJet and Emirates sign MoU for codeshare partnership
- After announcing induction of 27 planes in the past two weeks, budget carrier SpiceJet and Gulf based Emirates have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enter into a reciprocal codeshare agreement.
- The partnership will help both airlines to expand their reach.
- While for SpiceJet passengers it would open new destinations such as America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East, for Emirates, thecode share will enable its passengers to enjoy seamless connectivity on flights to India.
SBI General launches cyber defence insurance for businesses
- SBI General Insurance on Monday said it has launched a product to protect businesses from financial and reputational losses due to cyber attacks.
- In the initial phase, the focus will be on SMEs and mid-market businesses, but later the product can cater to larger business conglomerates as well, the insurer said in a statement.
- This offers protection against the growing threat of cyber breaches and is designed to protect against major insurable cyber exposures like hacking attacks, identity theft, disclosure of sensitive information and business interruption.
- “Over the years, digital advancement has exponentially increased cyber risk exposures for almost all types and sizes of businesses. Cyber attackers work on the theory that majority of the businesses do not spend adequately on shoring up their cyber security,” it said.
India and states
Indian Navy launches Guided missile destroyer ‘Imphal’
- The Indian Navy on April 20, 2019 launched guided missile destroyer ‘Imphal’ at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders in Mumbai.
- Imphal is the third ship to be launched under Project 15B. The ship successfully slipped into the waters at 12:20 pm.
SC directs Madras HC to decide plea of TikTok app on Apr 24
- The Supreme Court has directed the Madras High Court to decide on April 24 a plea of TikTok app seeking to vacate of its ban order.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said, if the Madras High Court fails to decide on the plea then it’s ban order will stand vacated.
- The apex court had earlier refused to stay the High Court order that directed the Centre to ban the Tiktok app over concerns about access to pornographic content through it.
Manish Maheshwari takes over as Twitter India MD
- Twitter has appointed former Network18 Digital chief executive Manish Maheshwari as the managing director of its India operations.
- Maheshwari, who will take over the new role from April 29, will replace Balaji Krish who was appointed as the interim country head after Taranjeet Singh quit the microblogging site in September last year, the company announced in a statement on Monday.
- Krish, meanwhile, will return to Twitter global headquarters in San Francisco to resume his role as Global Head of Revenue Strategy and Operations at Twitter.
Abu Dhabi International Book Fair: India to be featured as the official Guest of Honour
- In UAE, thousands of literature enthusiasts and industry professionals around the world are expected to attend, the upcoming Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, ADIBF 2019.
- The 29th edition of the book fair will take place from April 24- 30, 2019 at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.
- India will be featured as the official Guest of Honour, with much of the fair’s programming dedicated to reflecting and showcasing the diversity and richness of the country’s culture.
- It includes books on Freedom Struggle and 100 volume series of the Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi published by the Publications Division.
Saudi, UAE pledge 3 bn financial aid for Sudan
- Saudi Arabia and the UAE on April 22,2 019 announced financial support of three billion dollars for the people of Sudan following the overthrow of longtime leader Omar al-Bashir.
- The assistance bundle entails 500 million USD deposit into Sudan’s central bank to strengthen the country’s liquidity and monetary reserves.
- The remaining amount will be dedicated to support the people of Sudan, across food, medicines and fuel derivatives.
UAE issues travel advisory for Sri Lanka
- The UAE has issued a warning, cautioning its citizens from travelling to Sri Lanka following current events taking place in the country.
- In a statement on April 22, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation also urged Emiratis currently in Sri Lanka to exercise caution, to return to the UAE.
Sri Lanka to declare emergency from midnight after blasts
- Sri Lankan Government will enforce a nationwide state of emergency from the midnight on April 22, 2019 following the suicide bomb blasts at churches and luxury hotels on the occasion of Easter, which killed over 290 people and wounded more than 500.
- The decision was made during a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) chaired by President Maithripala Sirisena.
- The move is aimed at enhancing the counter-terrorism powers of the security forces. The government clarified that the measure would be confined to dealing with terrorism and would not impinge on the freedom of expression.
Ukraine Presidential election: Comedian Volodymyr Zelensky records landslide victory
- Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky on April 21, 2019 won a landslide victory in the country’s presidential election 2019. With nearly all ballots counted in the run-off vote, Zelensky had taken more than 73 percent of the votes with incumbent Petro Poroshenko trailing far behind on 24 percent.
- Current Ukrainian President Poroshenko, who admitted defeat after the first exit polls were published, said that he will not be leaving politics. He told voters that 41-year-old Zelensky was too inexperienced to stand up to Russia effectively.
- Volodymyr Zelensky is best known for starring in the long-running satirical television drama series ‘Servant of the People’, in which his character accidentally becomes Ukrainian president.
US to end sanctions waivers for all importers of Iranian oil, India to be hit
- The United States is expected to announce on April 22, 2019 that all importers of Iranian oil will have to end their imports shortly or be subject to US sanctions.
- As per reports, the administration will terminate the sanction waivers that it had granted to some importers of Iranian oil late last year.
- US President Donald Trump made it clear to his national security team over the last few weeks that he wants the waivers to end and national security adviser John Bolton has been working the issue within the administration.
UAE Cabinet adopts National Artificial Intelligence Strategy 2031
- The UAE Cabinet has adopted the National Artificial Intelligence Strategy 2031. The move was undertaken during a cabinet meeting at the Presidential Palace in Abu Dhabi on April 21, 2019, which was chaired by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Ruler of Dubai.
- The decision is aimed at positioning the UAE as a global leader in artificial intelligence by 2031 and to develop an integrated system that employs artificial intelligence in vital areas in the country.
Asian Athletics Championship 2019: India’s Annu Rani, Avinash Sable bag silver
- The 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship began in Doha, Qatar on April 21, 2019. The four-day event will see participation from 63 nations across the world.
- India bagged five medals on Day 1 of the Championship, which included two silvers. With the five medals, India was ranked 5th in the medals tally. Bahrain leads the table with 7 medals, followed by China that has 5 medals, Iran with 2 medals and Philippines with 1 medal.
- Annu Rani opened India’s account at the Championship with a silver medal in women’s javelin throw.
- Avinash Sable clocked 8 minute 30.19 seconds to win silver in men’s 3000m steeplechase, his first international medal in maiden international competition.
Global Earth Day-2019 observed with theme ‘Protect Our Species’
- Global Earth Day-2019 observed on 22 April, 2019 to support and protect environment of the earth.
- This year’s theme is – Protect Our Species. This theme emphasis to protect planet and preserve its environment.
Cancer Preparedness Index 2019 released by EIU
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the worldwide Index of Cancer Preparedness (ICP). Study based on facts collected from 28 countries revealed the wide range of data about cancer preparation of countries.
- According to the EIU, objective of ICP is to allow benchmarking of national efforts and identify best practice in addressing the cancer challenge.
- In overall ranking India comes at 19th with a score of 64.9.
- In Cancer policy and planning, India ranks 17th, however, it scored 80.8 numbers for this rank.
- According to the ICP ranking India gets first place for research and third for tobacco control in the country.
- Australia topped the index.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 23 April 2019