Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 19 August 2018. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO, NIACL Assistant, RBI Grade B and IBPS RRB 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 19 August 2018
India and states
Sushma Swaraj inaugurates Panini Language lab in Mauritius
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj on Sunday inaugurated ‘Panini Language Laboratory’ at Mahatma Gandhi Institute (MGI) in Mauritius. The lab, gifted by the Indian government, will help MGI in teaching Indian languages in Mauritius.
- Swaraj said that similar laboratories equipped with all modern technologies and similar facilities need to be build up in India also to promote Hindi and regional languages. Education Minister of Mauritius Leela Devi Dookun and other dignitaries were also present on the occasion. Swaraj and Minister of State for External Affairs Gen V K Singh also paid floral tribute to Mahatma Gandhi statue at the institute.
- The EAM also called on Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Kumar Jagnauth. Both the leaders discussed further deepening of special ties between India and Mauritius. Prime Minister Jugnauth hosted a banquet lunch in the honour of External Affairs Minister, which was attended by the prominent dignitaries from both sides.
India, Thailand conclude ‘Maitree’ military exercise
- The Indian and Thai armed forces on Sunday concluded a two-week long platoon level military exercise called ‘Exercise Maitree 2018’ in Jammu & Kashmir’s Srinagar. The exercise was an annual event designed to strengthen the partnership between armies of the two countries.
- The exercise began on August 6 and comprised of cross-training period, which included familiarization between the two armies to evolve drills and procedures that help in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in varied terrains under the United Nations (UN) mandate.
- The first phase of the training also focused on familiarising both armies with each other’s modus operandi, basic maneuvers, and evolving joint drills in the first phase.
Telangana govt launches Disaster Response Force in Hyderabad
- Government of Telangana launched for the first time Disaster Response Force (DRF) vehicles in the Hyderabad city on Saturday.
- The vehicles will be parked at 24 locations with Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) DRF staff and they will reach the emergency spots in no time.
Asian Games 2018: Bajrang Punia wins wrestling final; India gets first gold
- Asian Games 2018 kicked off with a spectacular and gala opening ceremony. President of Indonesia entered the stadium on a motorbike performing some stunts.
- On the first day of the event, an array of medals will be on the line across games. India’s ace wrestler Sushil Kumar, Bajrang Punia and other athletes will do their best to win the place on the podium.
- The women’s hockey tea, the 10m rifle and pistol shooters, wrestlers like Sushil Kumar and Bajrang Punia and the men’s badminton team, led by HS Prannoy and Kidambi Srikanth will all be in action on August 19.
- Sports like Artistic Gymnastics, Cycling Mountain Bike, Equestrian, Fencing, Shooting, Swimming, Taekwondo, Wrestling, and Wushu have medals to grab on the first day. Indian Kabaddi Team will play two matches today while Women’s Hockey team will play the hosts — Indonesia — in the evening.
SS Mundra appointed Independent Director of Indiabulls Housing Finance
- Subhash Sheoratan Mundra has been appointed as Independent Director on the Board of Indiabulls Housing Finance for a period of three years, effective August 18 onwards. The former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and senior banker is not replacing an existing member on the Board, the company said.
- Mundra, a Post-Graduate from the University of Poona, used to be the Chairman of Bank of Baroda and an Executive Director at Union Bank of India. He left the RBI in July 2017.
- He has served on the Boards of several financial institutions and is presently on the Board of the Bombay Stock Exchange and DSP Blackrock Investment Managers.
World Humanitarian Day 2018 observed globally
- The World Humanitarian Day was observed across the world on August 19, 2018 to pay tribute to workers who risk their lives in humanitarian services and to gather support for people affected by crises around the world.
- 2018 World Humanitarian Day campaign: #NotATarget
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 19 August 2018
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!