Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 17-19 November 2018. These are important for the upcoming Canara Bank PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 17-19 November 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs relate to Finance
PM Modi inaugurates KMP Expressway, Ballabhgarh-Mujesar Metro rail link
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 19, 2018 inaugurated the Kundli-Manesar section of the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) western peripheral expressway.
- Along with this, he also inaugurated the 3.2 km-long Ballabhgarh-Mujesar Metro rail link, which would facilitate travel for people of Delhi and Faridabad, and laid the foundation stone of the Shri Vishwakarma Skill University, which will come up at Dudhola in Palwal district.
- Ballabhgarh becomes the fourth city in Haryana to get metro connectivity after Gurgaon, Faridabad and Bahadurgarh.
- Earlier this year, Manesar to Palwal stretch of the KMP, whose entire length is 135.65 km, was opened for public.
- KMP expressway will pass through five districts of Haryana: Gurugram, Sonipat, Mewat, Jhajjar and Palwal.
- A sum of Rs 6,400 crore has been spent on the expressway project and 3,846 acres of land was acquired at a cost of Rs 2,788 crore.
- The length of the stretch from Kundli to Manesar is over 83 km. This stretch would have 14 major or minor bridges, 56 underpass or agricultural vehicular underpasses, seven intersections and seven toll plazas.
Kerala govt inks MoU with Airbus Bizlab to set up Aerospace Innovation centre
- Kerala’s startup eco-system got a major fillip as the state government signed an MoU with Airbus BizLab, a global aerospace accelerator which is part of the Airbus group, to set up an Aerospace Innovation Centre.
- The MoU was exchanged between Siddharth Balachandran, Leader, Airbus Bizlab India and Dr. Saji Gopinath, CEO, Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM), in the presence of Chief Minister Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan in his chamber on Saturday.
- Under the MoU, an Aerospace Innovation Centre will be set up in Thiruvananthapuram, which will be the nodal body for planning and executing all the activities to help the startups.
PayPal to soon host third edition of Recharge
- Digital payments provider PayPal on November 18, 2018 announced the third edition of ‘Recharge’ aimed at serving women who plan to take up job opportunities after a career break.
- The third edition of ‘Recharge’ is a six week programme focused on empowering women technologists to get back to workforce after a hiatus.
- Recharge has equipped women technologists with the skills and confidence required to help jump-start their careers after a break.
- In the last two years, the Recharge programme has received over 1,500 applications. This year, the programme will be launched in Bengaluru and Chennai on December 17 and 19, respectively.
- The PayPal Recharge programme would give an opportunity to network with leaders from PayPal and the industry among others.
Baba Kalyani committee submits report on India’s SEZ policy
The Baba Kalyani led committee constituted by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry to study the existing SEZ policy of India submitted its report to Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu, in New Delhi on November 19, 2018.
The key objectives of the committee included:
- To evaluate the SEZ policy and make it WTO compatible
- To suggest measures for maximising utilisation of vacant land in SEZs
- To suggest changes in the SEZ policy based on international experience
- To merge the SEZ policy with other Government schemes such as coastal economic zones, Delhi-Mumbai industrial corridor, national industrial manufacturing zones and food and textiles parks.
The Committee’s chairman, Baba Kalyani, while submitting the report to the Commerce Minister said that if India is going to become a USD 5 trillion economy by 2025 then the current environment of manufacturing competitiveness and services has to undergo a basic paradigm shift.
Current Affairs relate to India and states
SpaceX to launch India’s first private satellite ExceedSAT 1 on November 20
- SpaceX is all set to launch 70 satellites from 16 countries into space on November 20 and it will also be the beginning of a new chapter for India and its space history as the satellites will include India’s first ever private satellite as well.
- Mumbai-based Exseed Space, a startup which started in 2017, has built ExceedSAT 1, which is all set to become India’s first home-grown satellite and will work on ham or the amateur radio development.
- Exseed Space is known for developing small satellite platforms which focus on assembly, testing integration as well as the operation of satellites.
Commerce Minister launches AirSewa 2.0 to make air travel hassle-free
- Union Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu and Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha on November 19, 2018 launched the upgraded version of AirSewa 2.0 web portal and mobile app in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Civil Aviation Minister said that a need was felt for development of an upgraded version of AirSewa to provide a superior user experience with enhanced functionalities.
- The major improvements in the upgraded version of the web portal include features such as secure sign-up and log-in with social media, chatbot for travellers support, improved grievance management including social media grievances.
- It will allow flyers to register their complaints through social media using the hashtag ‘AirSewa’.
- It will provide all the required information about flights operating from various airports across the country including real-time flight status and details of flight schedule.
- It will provide all services and facilities including assistance to the disabled or unaccompanied minor that are available at the airports in India.
India’s Statue of Unity visible from space: Commercial satellite network ‘Planet’
- Commercial satellite network ‘Planet’ on November 17, 2018 revealed that India’s Statue of Unity, the world’s tallest statue, is visible from the space. The network Planet photographed the statue from the space on November 15.
- The memorial was inaugurated on October 31, 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Kevadia in Gujarat’s Narmada district to honour India’s first Deputy Prime Minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his 143rd birth anniversary.
- At 182 metres, the bronze sculpture is nearly twice the height of US’ Statue of Liberty (93 metres).
MoS for Health flags off Organothon to support, pledge for organ donation
- An Organothon, to support and pledge for organ donation, was flagged off at Connaught place in New Delhi on November 18, 2018 by Minister of State for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey.
- Speaking on the occasion, Choubey said, organ donation gives a chance of life to others and is like living after death.
- He said, people can save life of seven people by donating their seven vital organs after death. The Minister also stressed on more awareness on organ donation.
Delhi Government forms committee to revise auto fares
- The Delhi Government has formed a committee to revise auto fares, in an attempt to woo autorickshaw drivers ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- The 11-member fare revision committee chaired by Special Commissioner (Transport) Anil Banka will submit its report to the government in 30 days. The auto fares were last revised by the Sheila Dikshit government in 2013.
- There are around one lakh registered autorickshaws operating in Delhi. The auto drivers had extended support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and campaigned for it in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and assembly elections in Delhi in 2015.
Cyber “war room” to be set up BIT in Sathyamangalam
- Lucideus Technologies, an IT Risk Assessment and Digital Security Services provider is setting up a “cyber war room” at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology in Erode district, for grooming students to combat increasing cyber crime.
- The “war room”, claimed to be the first such in India, would be launched by the next academic year.
- Modalities like investment and equipment and gadgets, are being worked out. According to City Police Commissioner Sumit Sharan, India had 465 million internet users in 2017 and cyber security needs adequate importance as the country is facing the third highest number of cyber attacks among countries.
Current Affairs relate to Appointments
UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as new revenue secretary
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on November 17, 2018 appointed Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the new revenue secretary.
- He will succeed current Finance and Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia, who is retiring on November 30.
- According to the notification by the Appointments Committee, Pandey will continue to hold the charge as the CEO of UIDAI and GSTN Chairman until further orders. Pandey is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Maharashtra cadre.
Current Affairs relate to Sports
Alexander Zverev upsets world number one Novak Djokovic to claim ATP World Tour Finals
- Alexander Zverev on November 18, 2018 upset world number one Novak Djokovic in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 to claim the season-ending ATP Finals and ended the year with the biggest victory of his career.
- With the win, the 21-year-old became the youngest champion of the season-ending event since Djokovic claimed the first of his five titles a decade ago and the first from Germany since 1995.
- Djokovic was attempting to tie Roger Federer’s record of six titles but followed the same path as the Swiss great, who lost to Zverev in the semi-finals at the O2 Arena.
Current Affairs relate to Obituaries
Padma Shri awardee saint Narayan Das Maharaj passes away
- Padma Shri awardee and revered saint Narayan Das Maharaj of Triveni dham near Jaipur passed away on November 17, 2018.
- The nonagenarian breathed his last at the ashram. His funeral took place on November 18.
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, Pradesh Congress Committee chief Sachin Pilot, former chief minister Ashok Gehlot condoled the death of the saint who was awarded the Padam Shri in January this year for social service.
Hero of 1971 Indo-Pak War, Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri passes away
- Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri (retd), who is known as the hero of the historic 1971 battle of Longewala, died on November 17, 2018 in a private hospital in Mohali in Punjab. He was 78.
- Brig Chandpuri was a Maha Vir Chakra awardee. He had fought in the battle of Longewala (1971), one of the first major engagements in the western sector during the Indo-Pak war of 1971.