Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 1 October 2018. These are important for the upcoming Indian Bank PO, NIACL Assistant and IBPS PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 1 October 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to Banking and Finance
RBI to inject Rs 36000 cr into system through purchase of govt bonds
- The Reserve Bank announced on October 1, 2018 that it will inject Rs 36000 crore into the system through purchase of government bonds in October to meet the festival season demand for funds.
- In a release the RBI said the decision to conduct purchase of Government securities under OMOs was based on an assessment of the durable liquidity needs.
- The auctions to purchase government bonds as part of the Open Market Operations will be conducted in the second, third and fourth week of October.
Assam to launch wage compensation scheme for pregnant women in tea gardens
- Assam Government has become the first Indian state to offer a Wage Compensation Scheme for pregnant women working in the tea gardens of the state. The scheme will be launched by Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal on October 1, 2018 in Guwahati.
- The information was shared by the state’s Health and Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma last week. The path-breaking decision was taken by the state after contemplating the issues faced by women during pregnancy.
- The scheme is aimed at providing better health and nutrition supplements to the pregnant women.
- It stresses on providing proper healthcare facilities to the pregnant women working in the tea gardens of the state.
- Under the scheme, an amount of Rs 12,000 will be given to the pregnant women so that they can take care of themselves and the unborn baby without compromising the livelihood of their family.
- The compensation of wages to pregnant women will be given in 4 instalments – Rs 2,000 in the first trimester, Rs 4,000 in the second trimester, Rs 3,000 for institutional delivery and Rs 3,000 for registration of the child’s birth.
- The women would also be given a maternity leave. They will not be engaged in work from the third trimester of pregnancy to three months after delivery.
Gram Sabhas to inform farmers about crop insurance scheme
- Gram Sabhas across the country have been asked to inform farmers about the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) at the beginning of the Rabi Season on Monday.
- According to Ministry of Agriculture, the Gram Sabhas will also inform the farmers on how they can insure their crops under the Scheme. Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare has requested the Ministry of Panchayati Raj and the State Governments to include this as an agenda in the upcoming Gram Sabhas, especially for the one scheduled on October 2, in connection with Gandhi Jayanti.
- This is as part of the awareness initiatives taken up at various levels by the government and insurance companies to create awareness about the scheme and mobilise farmers to insure their crops.
NCLT permits Centre to supersede IL&FS Board
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on Monday granted permission to the government for superseding debt-ridden Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited’s (IL&FS) Board.
- Furthermore, the NCLT appointed a six-member panel, to be headed by Kotak Mahindra Bank Managing Director, Uday Kotak, to take over the management with immediate effect.
- The panel is expected to meet in the coming week to elect a chairman of the board.
- State Bank of India (SBI) and Life Insurance Company (LIC) are both stakeholders at the firm. While LIC owns 25.34 per cent stake, SBI holds 6.42 per cent stake.
Current Affairs related to India and states
Uttarakhand HC directs state to provide reservation to transgenders in educational institutions
- The Uttarakhand High Court on September 28, 2018 directed the state government to provide reservation to transgenders in educational institutions and public appointments.
- The direction is a part of a slew of directions issued by the court for the welfare of transgender persons in the state. The court stated that the transgenders lead a miserable life and are often treated unfairly. Observing that they have the right to a life of dignity, the court gave the state government six months time to implement its decision.
- The order came on a petition filed by two members of the transgender community seeking protection to their lives and liberty. While directing protection for them, the court took judicial notice of the difficulties generally faced by the transgender population in the country.
India, Uzbekistan signed 17 MoUs in various fields including security & defence
- India and Uzbekistan have decided to further deepen ties in various fields including security and defence. This was decided during the high-level bilateral talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on October 1, 2018 in New Delhi.
- The leaders stated during a joint press conference that both the countries are committed to regional peace and India will extend all assistance to Uzbekistan to maintain peace in the region.
- India and Uzbekistan signed 17 MoUs in various fields including agriculture, Tourism, combating illicit trafficking, health and medical science and pharmaceuticals.
- Besides, the leaders of the two nations held constructive discussion on cooperation in trade and investment, development cooperation, education, renewable energy, connectivity and tourism.
Current Affairs related to World
PM Modi, French President to receive Champions of the Earth Award on Oct 3
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron would receive the United Nation’s highest environment honour Champions of The Earth Award on October 3 here for their exemplary leadership and advocate action on sustainable development and climate change, officials said.
- “Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron will jointly receive Champions of The Earth Award on October 3 at function which will take place at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra,” Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said at a press conference.
- External Affairs Secretary (Economic Relations) T S Tirumurti said,”The United Nations announced on September 26 during the high level segment of the UN General Assembly that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron have been conferred Champions of The Earth Award in the policy leadership category.”
US and Canada sign trade deal replacing NAFTA
- Canada on September 30, 2018 agreed to sign a trade deal with the United States and Mexico, revamping the North American Free Trade Agreement after almost a year of negotiations. The new deal has been named the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
- The trilateral pact is expected to be signed by the three North American countries before the end of November, after which it would be submitted to Congress. The deal was agreed upon by Canada just hours before the US imposed September 30 midnight deadline.
- The new trade deal would make significant changes to the rulebook that has governed North America, trade since 1994.
- It will for the first time set rules for financial-services and digital businesses that have emerged since the bloc was created.
Current Affairs related to Appointments
IMF appoints Harvard professor Gita Gopinath as chief economist
- India-born economist Gita Gopinath on Monday appointed as chief economist of International Monetary Fund, the IMF said in a statement.
- Gopinath will succeed Maurice (Maury) Obstfeld, who would retire at the end of 2018, the IMF said.
- She currently serves as the John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics at Harvard University.
Current Affairs related to Sports
8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship held in Thiruvananthapuram
- The 8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship was organised by Asian Yoga Federation in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala from September 27, 2018. The event was formally inaugurated by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The four-day event saw participation from nearly 450 participants from 12 countries across Asia.
- The Indian team included 111 yoga exponents, including five Keralites.
- The competitions was be held under various age groups in six categories including Asian yogasana sports competition, artistic yoga, artistic pair yoga, rhythmic yoga, free flow dance competition, and professional yogasana sports competition.
Current Affairs related to Awards (Nobel Prize 2018)
James P. Allison, Tasuku Honjo jointly win 2018 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet on October 1, 2018 awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine jointly to James P. Allison and Tasuku Honjo “for their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation”.
- Cancer kills millions of people every year and is one of humanity’s greatest health challenges. The laureates James P. Allison and Tasuku Honjo successfully established an entirely new principle for cancer therapy by stimulating the ability of immune system to attack tumour cells.
Days observed on 1 October 2018
World Habitat Day 2018 observed globally
- The World Habitat Day was observed across the world on October 1, 2018, that is the first Monday of October 2018, to reflect the present state of the world’s towns and cities, and emphasise the basic right of all to receive adequate shelter.
- The main event was held in Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2018 Theme: Municipal Solid Waste Management
International Day of Older Persons observed
- The International Day of Older Persons was observed across the world on October 1, 2018. The day is observed on every year to reaffirm the commitment to promoting the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by older persons.
- The day’s theme this year is, ‘Celebrating Older Human Rights champions’. The key objective of the UN day is to recognise the contributions of older persons and to examine issues that affect their lives.
- According to the United Nations, almost 700 million people are now over the age of 60, and by 2050, 2 billion people, over 20 per cent of the world’s population, will be 60 or older.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 1 October 2018