Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Daily Current Affairs of 21 January, 2018. These are important for Syndicate Bank PGDBF, ECGC PO, SBI PO & Clerk 2018.
Manipur CM launches health assurance scheme for poor & disabled people
- Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh today launched the Chief Minister-gi Hakshelgi Tengbang (CMHT), a pioneering health assurance scheme for the poor and disabled people.
- The chief minister launched the CMHT along with 10 advanced life support ambulances as a gift of Statehood Day to the people of Manipur at a function at Khuman Lampak Indoor Stadium here, said a government press release.
- Speaking at the occasion, Singh said CMHT was a dream-scheme of his government.
- The CMHT will provide cashless treatment to the poor at government hospitals, health centres and other empanelled selected private hospitals.
- The scheme will provide cover up to Rs 2 lakh per eligible family identified from the Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) in the treatment of seven critical identified critical ailments – cardiovascular diseases, kidney ailments, neurological conditions, liver ailments, cancer, neo-natal diseases and burns per year.
- The beneficiaries may get themselves enrolled for the scheme with the help of ASHA workers at the kiosks opened in nearby PHCs, CHCs and District Hospitals.
- The most special aspect of the scheme is its innovative features. Firstly, CMHT will have convergence with Government of India programme like PM’s Jana Aushadhi Programme and Free Diagnostic Programme. Secondly, the scheme will be a truly IT platform driven scheme.
First ever jallikattu in Coimbatore on January 28
- The first ever bull taming sport of Jallikattu in the district would be held on January 28.
- The groundbreaking ceremony for laying ‘vadivasal’, the gate through which bulls are sent to the arena, was performed today at Chettipalayam on the outskirts.
- Jallikattu is being jointly organised by the District Administration and Omkar Foundation.
- About 750 bulls were expected to participate and 550 bull-tamares have registered for the event. A temporary gallery to accommodate to about 5,000 persons was getting ready in a sprawling 25 acres, the organisers said.
Marashtra leads the way in toilet construction in Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban)
- Maharashtra has constructed the maximum number of individual household toilets under the Centre’s flagship Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) scheme, followed by Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh, according to official data.
- Till November last year, as many as 42.72 lakh household toilets have been constructed against the target of 66.42 lakh, recording an achievement of nearly 64 percent.
- The government lauched Swachh Bharat Mission in 2 October, 2014 with an aim of eliminating open defecation, manual scavenging and scientific management of municipal waste by 2 October, 2019.
- The Centre is focusing on construction of toilets to make the cities open defecation free by 2019.
- Till November last year, Maharashtra constructed 6.33 lakh individual household toilets, while Gujarat built 5.60 lakh and Madhya Pradesh 4.93 lakh.
- According to revised guidelines in Ocotber last year, the states have to contribute a minimum of Rs 2,667 towards individual toilets to match the central share of Rs 4,000 per beneficiary.
- For north eastern and Himalayan states, the central share is Rs 10,800 for construction of each household toilet and state’s share is Rs 1,200 per beneficiary.
- For UTs with an elected government, the Centre will contribute Rs 4000, while the UTs share will be Rs 1,333 per beneficiary. For UTs without an elected government, the Centre will contribute 100 per cent funding of Rs Rs 5,333 per household toilets.
Maharashtra to launch weather advisory system for farmers
- The Maharashtra government is all set to introduce a system to issue daily district-wise weather advisory to farmers across the state.
- “The system has a capacity to generate weather alerts for every ten minutes, if required. The state is taking a step forward to explore the possibility of issuing weather advisory for farmers to minimise their crop losses due to adverse weather conditions,” Agriculture Commissioner Sachindra Pratap Singh told PTI.
- “Going by our current preparations and capacity to handle the data, I think we can introduce a weather advisory system,” the commissioner said.
- The first automatic weather station (AWS) in Maharashtra became operational on May 1 last year. The weather station helps in measuring the wind direction, wind speed, air temperature, relative humidity and records amount of rainfall, the officer said.
- The Union and state governments get their weather alerts and inputs from the India Meteorological Department (IMD), which generally give a broad picture of regions covering several districts, he said.
Odisha government launches OeHMIS project
- The state government on Friday launched Odisha e-Hospital Management Information System (OeHMIS) to provide a computerized platform for online recording of clinical parameters of patients and reporting of performance criteria of hospitals.
- According to the system, patients can be registered online and can view and download their individual electronic health records at their doorstep through web portal or mobile application.
- The project was launched by the state government with the technical support of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Noida. This system will be piloted at Capital Hospital at Bhubaneswar and SCB Medical College Hospital at Cuttack. Later it will be extended to other health institutions.
- As estimated cost of 14.16 crore has been allocated under the state budget for implementation of project. The government has set a target to complete the project within two years.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik Receives ‘Ideal Chief Minister’ Award
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik received the ‘Ideal Chief Minister’ award at Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad here on Sunday.
- Patnaik was conferred with the award by former President of India Pratibha Patil in a special event which was organised by Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT) School of Government. The award carries Rs 1 lakh, citation, shawl and memento.
- MP and Former Union Minister Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi was among the many distinguished guests who attended the event.
- The Odisha CM who was given the award for his commitment and conviction to provide clean governance and delivering on his promises, dedicated the award to the people of the state.
63rd Filmfare Awards
Members of the Hindi film industry came together to celebrate the best of Bollywood in the year 2017 at 63 rd Jio Filmfare Awards 2018, held on January 20 at the NSCI Dome in Worli, Mumbai. The starry night was hosted by Bollywood’s Baadshah Shah Rukh Khan, and filmmaker Karan Johar.
List of awardees
- Best Film: ‘Hindi Medium’
- Critics’ Award for Best Film: ‘Newton’
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Female): Vidya Balan for ‘Tumhari Sulu’
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Male) : Irrfan Khan for ‘Hindi Medium’
- Critics’ Award for Best Actor (Male): Rajkummar Rao for ‘Trapped’
- Critics’ Award for Best Actor (Female): Zaira Wasim for ‘Secret Superstar’
- Best Director: Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari for ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi’
- Best Debut Director: Konkona Sensharma for ‘A Death in the Gunj’
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Male): Rajkummar Rao for ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi’
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Female): Meher Vij for ‘Secret Superstar’
- Best Short Film (Fiction) : ‘Juice’
- Best Short Film (Non Fiction): ‘Invisible Wings’
- Lifetime Achievement A ward: Mala Sinha and Bappi Lahiri
OP Rawat appointed next Chief Election Commissioner, Ashok Lavasa election commissioner
- Om Prakash Rawat has been appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner, and he will replace incumbent Achal Kumar Jyoti.
- Rawat will assume office on Tuesday, according to a notice issued by the Law Ministry on Saturday.
- Jyoti would demit office on Tuesday after attaining the age 65.
- Born on December 2, 1953, Rawat is a 1977 batch IAS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre.
- During his over the three-decade-long career, he has served at various levels, both at state and Centre. Besides serving in Defence and Heavy Industries ministries, Rawat had also been Principal Secretary to then Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babu Lal Gaur from 2004 and 2006.
- Also, Ashok Lavasa, a 1980-batch IAS officer of the Haryana cadre, has been appointed as the next Election Commissioner and will fill the sole vacancy in the three-member ECI created with Rawat’s appointment.
Books & Authors
Former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit pens autobiography “Citizen Delhi: My Times, My Life”
- Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is coming out with her autobiography, “Citizen Delhi: My Times, My Life”, publishers Bloomsbury India announced today.
- The memoir which will be unveiled on January 27 at the 11th edition of the Jaipur Literature Festival, will take readers through the “lifelong journey of the only female politician in India to be part of a select, overwhelmingly male, band”.
- The memoir documents how a girl who loved cycling along the tree-lined avenues of a brand new Lutyens’ Delhi, five decades later, went on to govern, and transform, Delhi as its chief minister not once, but thrice consecutively — from 1998 to 2013.
- Dikshit made her debut in electoral politics in 1984 as a member of the Indian National Congress, contesting and winning from the Kannauj parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
Hockey Haryana crowned champion in Women National C’ships
- The final match of the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior (Women) National Championship 2018 (A Division) took place here, with hosts Hockey Haryana emerging as the Champions after defeating Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy 6-1 on Sunday.
- In the Bronze Medal match, it was Hockey Gangpur-Odisha who edged past Sports Authority of India (SAI) 4-2 in a thrilling match.
- The final match saw Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy and Hockey Haryana lock horns to be crowned as the champions of this tournament. After a nervy start from both the teams, it was Hockey Haryana who showed composure to score the first goal of the match in the 19th minute through Deepika.
- Five minutes later, Hockey Haryana extended their lead when skipper Neelam scored from a penalty corner in the 24th minute. Simranjeet Kaur (30′) and Anu (34′) also scored goals. The hosts took a 4-0 lead within the half-time break.
- Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy had been in fine form throughout the tournament but could not produce any attacking flair in the final.