Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 13-14 October 2018. These are important for the upcoming Indian Bank PO, NIACL Assistant and IBPS PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 13-14 October 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to Finance and Economy
India-Azerbaijan sign protocol on trade, economic cooperation
- India and Azerbaijan signed a protocol on trade and economic, science and technology cooperation on October 12, 2018, during the 5th meeting of India-Azerbaijan Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade and Economic, Science and Technology Cooperation (IA-IGC) that was held from October 11-12, 2018 in New Delhi.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Union Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu and Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Government of Republic of Azerbaijan, Mukhtar Babayev.
- During the meeting, both India and Azerbaijan exchanged views on current economic situation and reviewed the current status of bilateral trade, investment and their cooperation in the fields of trade, economy, science and technology.
Current Affairs related to India and states
IRCTC launches ‘AskDisha’ chatbot to solve all rail-related queries
- The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) on October 13 launched ‘AskDisha’ (Digital Interaction to Seek Help Anytime) — a chatbot powered by artificial intelligence (AI) for improving customer services of railway passengers, a statement from railways said.
- A chatbot is a special computer programme designed to simulate conversation with users, especially over the internet.
- The essential features of AskDisha include ability to quickly answer to customer queries, ability to multitask, ability to provide round-the-clock customer support, zero waiting time for the query to get answered and overall an ability to provide customer with a stress-free experience and overall customer satisfaction, it said.
Indian Navy inducts first deep submergence rescue vessel to rescue distressed submarines
- The Indian Navy on October 13, 2018 inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) at its base in Mumbai, enhancing its operational capabilities. The second DSRV would be added to its base in Vishakhapatnam by 2019.
- With the move, India joined a select list of international navies with the ability to search, locate and provide assistance to downed or disaster-struck submarines at high sea.
- The DSRV can reportedly be deployed at short notice for providing assistance to submarines in distress.
- The rescue vessel, complete with an associated kit in fly away configuration, can be crucial in quickly locating submarines through the vast expanse of sea and can be mobilised by air and water for rapid rescue.
India elected to UN Human Rights Council with highest votes
- India was on October 12, 2018 elected to the United Nations’ Human Rights Council ‘ for a period of three years beginning January 1, 2019.
- India secured 188 votes in the Asia-Pacific category, the highest number of votes among all candidates. Following the election, India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin said that India’s win with the highest number of votes reflects the country’s standing in the international community.
- The 193-member UN General Assembly held elections for new members to the UN Human Rights Council.
- The countries needed a minimum of 97 votes to get elected to the Council.
Current Affairs related to Awards
Sikkim wins FAO’s Future Policy Award 2018 for being world’s first 100 percent organic state
- North-eastern state Sikkim on October 12, 2018 won the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation’s (FAO) Future Policy Award 2018 for being the world’s first 100 percent organic state.
- Sikkim defeated 51 nominated policies from 25 countries, winning the Gold Prize of the Future Policy Award 2018, also known as “Oscar for Best Policies”.
- As per the press release, “Sikkim is the first organic state in the world. All of its farmland is certified organic… Embedded in its design are socioeconomic aspects such as consumption and market expansion, cultural aspects as well as health, education, rural development and sustainable tourism.”
- Moreover, Future Policy Award’s Silver Prize 2018 was awarded to the policies from Brazil, Denmark and Quito (Ecuador).
Current Affairs related to Days
International Day for Disaster Reduction 2018 observed globally
- The International Day for Disaster Reduction was observed across the world on October 13, 2018 to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction.
- The theme of the 2018 International Day for Disaster Reduction was ‘Reducing Disaster Economic Losses’.