Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 1-3 December 2018. These are important for the upcoming Canara Bank PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 1-3 December 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Banking and Finance
ADB, India sign 85 mn dollar loan to support Odisha skill development project
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India on Monday signed a 85 million dollar loan to improve the skill development eco-system in Odisha and establish an advanced skill training centre, the World Skill Centre (WSC), in the state capital Bhubaneswar.
- The signatories to the Odisha Skill Development Project were Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary (Fund Bank and ADB), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, who signed on behalf of the Government of India, and Kenichi Yokoyama, Country Director of ADB’s India Resident Mission, who signed for ADB.
ICICI Securities launches eATM service for retail investors
- Brokerage firm ICICI Securities Ltd has announced launch of eATM orders, which instantly credits into a retail investor’s bank account funds accrued from stock sales. Under the current settlement system, an investor gets money into their accounts after two days (T+2) after a transaction.
- The ICICIdirect account almost becomes like an ATM where clients can sell and within 30 minutes walk into any ATM and withdraw the cash. The money would be credited within 30 minutes with a limit of ₹50,000 per client per day.
- This new feature is offered to all ICICIdirect customers at no additional cost and will be available to stocks sold on the BSE.
Tech Mahindra launches first AI based talent exchange market place, ‘Talex’
- IT major, Tech Mahindra Ltd, on Monday launched the first Artificial Intelligence (AI) based, talent exchange market place, Talex, to address issues related to upskilling, reskilling and talent management within the organisation.
- The solution has been developed by an in-house team of young disruptors, company release said.
- Powered by Acumos, the open source platform co-developed by Tech Mahindra, AT&T and Linux Foundation, Talex uses AI technology to match candidate profiles with suitable job openings in the organization.
SBI Mutual Fund launches its first AI powered voice assistant
- SBI Mutual Fund, one of India’s leading mutual fund houses in the country, announced the launch of its first AI-powered voice assistant with Google on Saturday.
- The voice assistant can be currently accessed through any smart phone having Google Assistant or where the Google Assistant app has been downloaded, or any of the Google Home devices.
- The bot is designed to assist investors with information across different areas which includes getting basic product related information, locate the nearest branch, check their KYC status, use SIP calculator, receive a call back from customer care and retrieve account statements using a basic, user friendly voice interface.
India and States
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa to be the Chief Guest at Republic Day Celebrations 2019
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will be Chief Guest at India’s 70th Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2019.
- Ramaphosa was invited to be chief guest by Prime Minister Narendra Modi when two leaders met on sidelines of G20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- The announcement comes month after US President Donald Trump declined India’s invitation to be chief guest. The reason citied was “scheduling constraints” of President.
- The Republic Day is celebrated to honour the Constitution of India that came into effect on January 26, 1950 replacing Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
India and Sweden sign MoUs in Renewable Energy sector
- India and Sweden on Monday signed two memorandums of understanding (MoUs) in the Renewable Energy sector to enhance the technology and bring in energy efficiency in India.
- The first MoU was signed between Swedish solar pump manufactured Spowdi and Bangalore based EMVEE for setting up local manufacturing/assembly in Bangalore.
- The second MoU was signed between Swedish Earth Fault Protection System provider Swedish Neutral and India’s leading distribution company Tata Power DDL for setting up a pilot for earth fault protection in Delhi.
- The MoUs were signed on the sidelines of the inauguration of the first of its kind ‘Sustainability by Sweden – Showroom India’ by Swedish Energy, Agency Business Sweden, and The Embassy of Sweden under the Sweden India Nobel Memorial Programme.
India’s First Engine-Less Train Touches 180 Kmph Mark During Trial Run
- India’s first locomotive-less aka engineless train breached the 180 kmph mark during the test run on Sunday, a senior official said. It has been named ‘Train18’.
- This Rs 100-crore indigenously designed train will become the country’s fastest train.
- If all things go well, Train 18 will replace the current Shatabdi Express – a day train. Train 18 is capable of touching 200 kmph provided the rest of Indian Railways’ system such as tracks and signals permit, officials said.
UP-Nepal to sign MoU declaring Ayodhya-Janakpur twin cities
- The Uttar Pradesh and Nepal governments will soon sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to declare Ayodhya and Janakpur as twin cities, an official said on Monday.
- An understanding to this effect was arrived at a meeting between a Nepalese delegation and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath late on Sunday.
- Adityanath also agreed to visit the Himalayan nation on December 12 to participate in the festivities of Lord Ram and Sita that are held every year.
Microsoft India to host first Education Days in India on Dec 4-5
- Continuing in its efforts to enhance the educational landscape through technology, Microsoft India is organising the first Microsoft Education Days 2018 in Gurugram on December 4 and
- The two-day event will bring together students, over 220 educators and Microsoft Partners under one roof to showcase their work and deliberate on innovation in Education in India.
- The event will facilitate exchange of ideas to revamp the educational landscape through technology.
FSSAI launches Heart Attack Rewind Campaign for elimination of industrially produced trans-fat
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched media campaign “Heart Attack Rewind”, calling for elimination of industrially produced trans-fat in the food supply.
- It will support FSSAI’s global target of eliminating trans-fat in India by 2022, a year ahead of global target by World Health Organization (WHO).
- It is in line with FSSAI objective to get Freedom from ‘Trans Fat: [email protected]′.
- The Heart Attack Rewind Campaign is the first mass media campaign that will educate consumers about the harmful effects and its link to cardiovascular diseases.
- It warns citizens about the health hazards of consuming trans-fat and offers strategies to avoid them through healthier alternatives.
Government launches Digital Sky Platform for drone registration
- The Union Government’s Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR) to enable safe flying of Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS) popularly referred to as drones came into effect on December 1, 2018. The Government had announced the release of the regulations in August 2018.
- With the announcement, while nano drones can start flying in the country with immediate effect, for drones of micro size and above categories, the operators would be required to register on the Digital Sky portal.
- Speaking on the occasion, Minister for Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu said that drones are an industry of the future and it is a matter of great pride for the country that it is now at the cutting edge of the rulemaking in this industry.
- The Minister further said that India will be taking lead in this sector and will be working with countries around the world to develop common, scalable standards. He said that the industry has a large potential for Make in India and also to export drones and services from India.
Nagaland becomes first north-eastern state to launch single emergency number ‘112’
- The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on December 1, 2018 launched the single emergency number ‘112’ under the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) for the state of Nagaland.
- The launch coincided with the state’s formation day and the inaugural day of the 2018 edition of the Hornbill Festival.
- With the launch of the emergency response support system, the residents of the state would not require to remember multiple helpline numbers.
- The residents could dial ‘112’ or use panic button on their phones or ‘112 India’ mobile App to connect to a single number based emergency service, which will connect to police, fire, health and other helplines through an emergency response centre in the State.
A N Jha appointed as the new Finance Secretary of India
- A N Jha, Secretary, Expenditure, has been appointed as new Finance Secretary, a government order said Monday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has cleared Jha’s appointment to the post after incumbent Hasmukh Adhia, a 1981-batch Gujarat cadre officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), retired on November 30.
AS Rajeev appointed as MD and CEO of Bank of Maharashtra
- State-owned Bank of Maharashtra Sunday announced that AS Rajeev has joined the lender as its Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer.
- Rajeev is having about three decades of professional experience in three Banks – Syndicate Bank, Vijaya Bank and Indian Bank.
YES Bank appoints former Irdai chief Vijayan independent director
- Private lender YES Bank appointed T.S Vijayan former Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India as additional independent director, with immediate effect. Vijayan has previously served as chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India.
- The appointment of Vijayan as an independent director on the bank’s board for a period of five years is subject to shareholders’ approval at the next general meeting, the bank said in a filing to the exchanges.
- The bank’s MD & CEO Rana Kapoor’s three-year reappointment was cut short by an order issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). He will be in office till January 31.
Awards & Honors
Delhi minister Imran Hussain gets PETA ‘Hero to Animals’ award for banning Chinese manjha
- Delhi Minister of Food Supplies, Environment and Forest and Elections Imran Hussain was awarded by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)-India for banning the Chinese manjha, or the glass-coated kite strings, across Delhi — on December 1.
- The award, named ‘Hero to Animals,’ was also given to three other individuals and companies that have pushed animal rights forward.
- Hussain, in July this year, had called for a complete ban on the sale, production, storage, supply, import and use of the Chinese manjha (kite flying thread), made of nylon, plastic or any other synthetic material, saying that the sharp-edged threads not only hurt birds and wildlife but also children.
India to host G-20 Summit in 2022
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that India will host the G20 Summit in 2022, when the country celebrates its 75 years of Independence.
- In a tweet, Mr Modi said, in 2022 India completes 75 years since Independence and he looks forward to welcoming the world to the G-20 Summit in that special year.
- Mr Modi invited leaders from across the world to come to India, the world’s fastest growing large economy, and know its rich history and diversity and experience the warm Indian hospitality.
- Prime Minister said, he had requested Italy if it can host the summit in 2021 and allow India to host the G-20 annual summit in 2022.
- Mr Modi said Italy and other countries accepted his request. Prime Minister thanked Italy and other countries for accepting his request.
World Bank unveils USD 200 billion in climate action investment for 2021-25
- The World Bank unveiled USD 200 billion in climate action investment for 2021 to 2025, thus, doubling its current five-year funding.
- The move coincides with a UN climate summit COP24 in Katowice, Poland.
- The move represents a significantly ramped up ambition to tackle climate change and sends an important signal to the wider global community to do the same.
- The breakdown of 200 billion dollars would comprise approximately 100 billion in direct finance from the World Bank.
- Around one-third of the remaining funding will come from two World Bank Group agencies with the rest private capital mobilised by the World Bank Group.
Qatar to withdraw from OPEC in January 2019
- Qatar decided to withdraw its membership from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) from January 2019.
- The announcement was made by Qatar’s Energy Minister, Saad al-Kaabi at a press conference in Doha.
- OPEC was informed about the decision ahead of the announcement
COP24: UN Conference on Climate Change begins in Poland
- The 24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP24) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) began on December 3, 2018 at Katowice, Poland.
- The Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama declared the UN COP24 climate summit open and handed over the presidency of the talks to Michal Kurtyka, Poland’s Deputy Environment Minister in the presence of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
- Delegates from nearly 200 nations began talks to tackle deep political. The COP24 will be hosting over 28000 people. They will include CEOs, mayors, governors and other leaders from civil society at large.
Asia Pacific Summit 2018 begins in Kathmandu
- The Asia Pacific Summit 2018 began on December 1, 2018 in Kathmandu, Nepal. The Summit will continue till December 3, 2018.
- The Theme of two-day Summit is “Addressing the Critical Challenges of Our Time: Interdependence, Mutual Prosperity, and Universal Values”.
- The Summit, organised by the South Korea-based Universal Peace Federation and supported by the Nepal Government, will be attended by the leaders from the Asia-Pacific region including India, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Pakistan and Philippines.
International Day of Persons with Disabilities observed globally
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities was observed globally on December 3, 2018 with the theme “Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.
- The international day aims to promote the rights of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development. It also aims to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of life, be it political, social, economic or cultural.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery observed globally
- International Day for the Abolition of Slavery was observed globally on December 2, 2018.
- The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery, 2 December, marks the date of the adoption, by the General Assembly, of the United Nations Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and of the Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others.
World AIDS Day observed globally
- World AIDS Day was observed across the world on 1 December, 2018.
- The theme of 2018 World AIDS Day was Know your HIV status.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?