Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 7 January 2019. These are important for the upcoming NIACL AO and IBPS Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 7 January 2019 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Banking and Finance
India’s GDP estimated to grow at 7.2 per cent in 2018-19
- India’s GDP (gross domestic product) is estimated to grow at 7.2 per cent in 2018-19 compared to 6.7 per cent attained during the previous fiscal, official data showed on Monday.
- “Real GDP or GDP at Constant Prices (2011-12) in the year 2018-19 is likely to attain a level of Rs 139.52 lakh crore, as against the ‘Provisional Estimate of GDP for the year 2017-18’ of Rs 130.11 lakh crore, released on 31st May 2018,” the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation said in “First Advance Estimates of National Income, 2018-19”.
- “The growth in GDP during 2018-19 is estimated at 7.2 per cent as compared to the growth rate of 6.7 per cent in 2017-18,” it added.
Bandhan Bank to buy mortgage provider Gruh Finance in share-swap deal
- Bandhan Bank Ltd will buy mortgage provider Gruh Finance Ltd in a share-swap deal to build up its housing loan portfolio, the companies said on Monday.
- Under the merger cooperation agreement, shareholders of Gruh Finance will get 568 shares of Bandhan Bank for every 1,000 shares held.
- The amalgamation will result in enhancement of shareholders’ value accruing from synergy of operations, new products development, integration of technology and information, both the companies said in regulatory filings to stock exchanges.
- It will help in pooling of resources, creating better synergies, optimal utilisation of resources and greater economies of scale, the filings said.
Kerala to set up country’s largest Integrated Startup Complex on 13.5 acres
- Kerala is setting up the country’s largest Integrated Startup Complex, which will house a Maker Village, Bionest, and BRINC, the country’s first international accelerator for Hardware startups, among other facilities.
- State officials have said that the initiative would put Kerala’s vibrant startup ecosystem at full throttle. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will inaugurate the innovation hub, Integrated Startup Complex, at Kalamassery in Kochi on January 13. The complex promises to provide top quality infrastructure for incubation and acceleration.
- Set up by Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM), the sprawling complex, spread over 180,000 sq ft in Technology Innovation Zone (TIZ), will house Maker Village, Bionest and BRINC, the country’s first international accelerator for Hardware startups, BRIC, an incubator dedicated for developing solutions for cancer diagnosis care; and a Centre of Excellence set up by industry majors like UNITY and CERA.
India and states
Cabinet approves 10% quota for economically backward upper castes
- Union Cabinet has approved 10 per cent reservation in direct recruitments and for admission in higher educational institutions for the economically backward section in the general category.
- Sources said, the reservation benefit is likely to be availed by those whose annual income is below Rs 8 lakh and have up to five acres of Agricultural land.
- The government is likely to bring a constitutional amendment bill in Parliament on Tuesday as the quota will be over and above the existing 50 per cent reservation.
- Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution will have to be amended for implementation of the decision.
NCR launches mobile app to help people navigate through Prayagraj during Kumbh Mela
- The North Central Railway, NCR has launched a mobile application to help people navigate through Prayagraj city during Kumbh Mela starting from January 15.
- The ‘Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App’ will also provide information regarding all the ‘Mela special’ trains that will run during the period.
- Additionally, the app will provide a link to the user to buy both unreserved and reserved train tickets.
- Through this app, the users will not only get to know their current location but will also be able to reach to all railway stations, the mela zone, major hotels, bus stations and other facilities within Prayagraj.
WCD minister Maneka Gandhi confers National Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers
- The Union Women and Child Development Minister, Maneka Gandhi conferred National Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers at a function in New Delhi on January 7, 2018 for exceptional achievements for the year 2017-18.
- The government had formulated the scheme in 2000-2001 to award Anganwadi Workers at the National and State Levels.
- The award is given annually to motivate the workers and recognise their exemplary services in the field of child development and related areas under the Integrated Child Development Services Scheme.
Lok Sabha passes bill to remove leprosy as ground for divorce
- The Lok Sabha on January 7, 2019 passed the Personal Laws (Amendment Bill), 2018, which seeks to remove leprosy as a ground for divorce.
- Leprosy is being removed as a ground for divorce as it is now a curable disease as against the earlier notion of it being incurable.
- The Bill seeks to amend five personal laws- the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act 1939, Divorce Act (for Christians) 1869, Special Marriage Act 1954 and the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956– to remove leprosy as a ground for divorce.
Government to soon make Aadhaar linking with driving licence mandatory
- The Union Government will soon make it mandatory for linking Aadhaar with driving licences, as per Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- The Minister for Law, Electronics and Information Technology said that the Government is soon going to bring a law that will make the linking process mandatory.
- The Minister was delivering his presidential address at the ongoing 106th Indian Science Congress in Jalandhar on January 6, 2019.
Awards and Honors
2019 Golden Globe Awards: Bohemian Rhapsody wins Best Picture Drama
- The 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards were announced on January 7, 2019 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the United States of America. These annual awards honour the best in Motion Pictures and Television for the year 2018.
- This year’s event was hosted by actors Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh, who took over from 2018 host, comedian Seth Meyers. Oh joined a small group of actors who won an award in the same ceremony they hosted.
|Best Motion Picture Drama||Bohemian Rhapsody|
|Best Motion Picture Musical/Comedy||Green Book|
|Best Director in Motion Picture-Drama||Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)|
|Best Actress in Motion Picture-Drama||Glen Close ( The Wife)|
|Best Actor in Motion Picture-Drama||Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)|
|Best Television Series, Drama||The Americans|
|Best Television Series – Musical/ Comedy||The Kominsky Method|
|Best Television Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television||Assassination of Gianni Versace: The American Crime Story|
|Best Actress in Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television||Patricia Arquette (Escape at Dannemora)|
|Best Actor in Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television||Darren Criss (Assassination of Gianni Versace: The American Crime Story)|
|Best Actress in Television Series – Drama||Sandra Oh (Killing Eve)|
|Best Actor in Television Series – Drama||Richard Madden (Bodyguard)|
Asha Parekh, Farooque Shaikh to be honoured by Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society
- Veterans Asha Parekh and Farooque Shaikh will be honoured by the Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society on January 8, 2018 to commemorate the 52nd death anniversary of the renowned filmmaker.
- The Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society was instituted 22 years ago in memory of the late filmmaker, Bimal Roy. Its aim is to reward unsung heroes of the film industry.
- On the occasion, awards will also be presented to directors Ananth Mahadevan and Amit Rai along with their actors Paresh Rawal and Jackie Shroff for making socially relevant films.
Journalist Dinu Randive conferred with lifetime achievement award
- Veteran journalist Dinu Randive has been conferred with the lifetime achievement award by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh, an association of journalists covering Maharashtra legislature and secretariat.
- Randive started his journalistic career in 1956. He also participated in the freedom struggle, the Sanyukta Maharashtra movement and the Goa liberation movement.
Egypt opens West Asia’s largest cathedral in its New Administrative Capital
- Egypt has opened West Asia’s largest cathedral in its New Administrative Capital, 45 kilometres east of Cairo. President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi inaugurated the newly-built Cathedral of Nativity and also a mosque on January 6, 2018, on the eve of Coptic Christmas.
- The Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar, the world’s primary seat of learning for Sunni Muslims, said that the two places of worship stand as a symbol in the face of attempts to undermine the country’s stability and sectarian seditions.
- The ceremony was attended by Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and a host of Arab dignitaries. It included recorded video messages of support from the region’s top Christian clerics as well as Pope Francis.
India win first series on Australian soil after SCG Test ends in a draw
- India officially win a Test series in Australia for the first time after turning the final match into a non-result.
- Virat Kohli’s decision to enforce a follow-on on Sunday left the Australians with the tasking of holding on to their ten wickets on the final day, but a persistent light drizzle prevented the two nations from ever taking to field.
- When the Test began on Thursday, India won the toss and opted to bat first – a decision which would ultimately lead to them taking a strong advantage early in the match.
- India played their maiden Test series against Australia in 1947 and were handed a 4-0 drubbing
- In total, India have toured Australia 12 times (including the 2018-19 tour)
- India were dominant in all three departments – batting, bowling and fielding
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 7 January 2019