Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 27 January 2019. These are important for the upcoming NIACL AO and SBI PO 2019 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 27 January 2019 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
India and states
India’s fastest indigenous train renamed as Vande Bharat Express
- India’s fastest indigenous train which will run from Delhi to Varanasi has been named as Vande Bharat Express. Briefing media in New Delhi today, Minister for Raliways Piyush Goyal said, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the semi high-speed train soon.
- He said, it was named Train 18 and now it has been given a new name after taking suggestions from the general public.
- The Minister said, It is a train built completely in India by Indian engineers in a span of 18 months and it is an example that it is possible to make world-class trains under Make in India.
- Mr Goyal said, The Minister said, the 16-coach train has been built by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai and cover the distance in 8 hours.
- He said, it is also energy efficient and the first locomotive-less train in the country. Mr Goyal said, the train will be fully air-conditioned and will stop at Kanpur and Allahabad.
Yuva Swabhiman Yojana: Employment scheme launched in Madhya Pradesh
- On the occasion of Republic Day, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath on Saturday announced the launch of the ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for youths from the economically weaker sections in urban areas.
- In his Republic Day address at the Police Parade Maidan here, Kamal Nath said the youths were the future of India and they had immense talent which needed to be honed.
- “Under this scheme, 100 days of employment will be provided to youths from economically weaker sections in urban areas. They will also be given skill training,” he said.
- Kamal Nath said while those in rural areas get employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA), the urban poor youth are left out. This scheme will effectively cover them.
Kerala government to launch NRI pension scheme
- The Kerala government will soon launch a ‘Pravasi Dividend Pension Scheme’ to provide regular pension to Non Resident Keralites on a one-time payment of Rs 5 lakh, Governor P. Sathasivam said on Friday.
- He announced the scheme during his address to the state Assembly.
- “My government is committed to the welfare of millions of Pravasi Malayalis. The one-time payment of Rs 5 lakh will be deposited with KIIFB (Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board) for financing infrastructure projects,” said Sathasivam.
- There are 2.1 million migrants from Kerala across the world whose estimated total annual remittances to the state have been found to be Rs 85,092 crore, a study said.
- Of these, close to 90 per cent are in the Middle East.
PM Modi lays foundation stone for AIIMS Madurai in Tamil Nadu
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for All India Institutes of Medical Sciences, AIIMS at Madurai in Tamil Nadu He also inaugurated the super speciality blocks of Madurai’s Rajaji Medical College and Thanjavur and Tirunelveli Medical Colleges through video conferencing. Mr Modi also dedicated a dozen Post Office Pass Port Seva Kendras to the nation.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Prime Minister said that AIIMS hospitals have a brand name in providing quality health care for people from Kanyakumari to Kashmir and from Gujarat to Guwahati.
- He said, the brand name of AIIMS has been taken to all corners of the nation and it has become the byword for India’s ‘Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat’ scheme. He said that NDA govt is giving great priority to the health sector so that everyone is healthy and the health care is affordable.
- He said, the launch of Ayushman Bharat is a big step and the scheme seeks to undertake path-breaking interventions to holistically address health issues. Mr Modi said the speed and scale at which Mission Indradhanush is working, is setting a new paradigm in preventive healthcare. He said, Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana and Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan is making safe pregnancy a mass movement.
Assam Rifles creates history by showcasing “Nari Shakti” at parade
- The all-women Assam Rifles contingent created history this year by participating for the first time in a Republic Day parade.
- Contingents of the Navy, India Army Service Corps and a unit of Corps of Signals were all led by women officers.
- Capt Shikha Surabhi from the Corps of Signals became the first woman to perform bike stunts, alongside her male teammates as part of daredevils.
- For the first time, a lady officer, Bhavana Kasturi. led a contingent of the India Army Service Corps and Capt Bhavna Syal, a third-generation officer in the armed forces, led the transportable satellite terminal’s contingent.
Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardha inaugurates 3 specialized centres at Madras IIT
- Union Science and Technology Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated three specialized centers at Madras IIT on Saturday.
- The new centers would pursue research on solar power generation and storage, waste water management and solar power based desalination.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan in his address said, scientific community should base their research more on societal applications. He said India has a leading role in harnessing solar power.
- He also highlighted the importance of scientific methodology to manage water resources.
Southern Railway bags number one position for cleanliness in country
- The Southern Railway has bagged the number one position for cleanliness in the country.
- The Divisional Railway Manager Shirish Kumar Sinha said, this achievement was under the category of other than Premium Category trains in the recent Trains Cleanliness Survey conducted by IRCTC on all India level.
- During the year 2018, Southern Railway’s gross earnings also stood at more than six thousand crores rupees which is almost 10 per cent higher than the last year earnings.
- To cater to the growing demands of passengers, Southern Railway has also introduced 54 trains over past four years.
Poonam Singh re-appointed WHO southeast Asia regional director
- Poonam Khetrapal Singh has been appointed the South-East Asia regional director of the World Health Organization (WHO) for a second five-year term.
- The WHO Executive Board on Saturday unanimously endorsed Khetrapal Singh, who was earlier unanimously nominated by 11 member-countries of the region for another five years.
- She was earlier unanimously nominated by 11 member-countries of the region for another five years.
- Outlining her vision for the second term that begins on February 1, Khetrapal Singh said sustaining the gains, accelerating progress to finish the unfinished agenda and innovating would be the approach to ensure health and well-being of the 1.8 billion people across the Region.
Novak Djokovic defeats Rafael Nadal to earn his seventh Australian title
- Novak Djokovic claimed a record seventh Australian Open crown on Sunday as he demolished Rafael Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 in his most dominant Grand Slam win in his long rivalry with the Spaniard.
- The peerless Serb broke Nadal five times at a stunned Rod Laver Arena while conceding only a single break point to clinch his 15th Grand Slam title and third in succession after winning Wimbledon and the US Open.
- The pair’s 53rd Tour clash and eighth in a major final was not the marathon battle it was expected to be, as top seed Djokovic bulldozed through the first two sets with machine-like precision and wrapped up the match in just over two hours.
Naomi Osaka wins Australian Open women’s singles
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka wins Australian Open 2019 Women’s Singles title after defeating Petra Kvitova.
- Petra Kvitova tried unsuccessfully to shake Naomi Osaka. Kvitova earned five break points in the first set, which she could not convert, and saved three championship points in the second, which she ultimately was unable to capitalize on.
- Osaka refused to fade away. Later, as the Rod Laver Arena crowd celebrated Osaka’s 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-4 victory, Kvitova looked around to congratulate her opponent — and couldn’t find her anywhere.
- Osaka came into this tournament last year ranked No. 72. When the new world rankings come out Monday, Osaka, the reigning US Open champion, will become the first singles player, male or female, from Japan to reach No. 1.
Saina Nehwal wins Indonesia Masters 2019
- Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal claimed her first BWF title in two years after three-time world champion Carolina Marin of Spain limped out of the Indonesia Masters final due to a leg injury, in Jakarata on Sunday.
- The London Olympics bronze medallist was trailing 4-10 in the opening game when Marin decided to withdraw from the contest.
- Saina had won a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, a bronze at the Asian Games, besides reaching finals at the Denmark, Indonesia Masters and Syed Modi International.
70th Republic Day Observed
- India celebrated its 70th Republic Day with a grand display of its military might and rich cultural diversity as the ceremonial parade rolled down the majestic Rajpath in the presence of South African President Cyril Ramaphosa as the chief guest.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid his tributes to the martyrs by laying a wreath at Amar Jawan Jyoti before the start of the parade in presence of Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and the three service chiefs.
- The overall theme for the Republic Day celebrations this year is the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and tableaux of many states, themed on the preeminent leader of the Independence movement who championed the idea of non-violence, were lined up during the parade.
- Officials said Ramaphosa is the second South African president, after Nelson Mandela, to attend the grand event as its chief guest.
International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust observed
- International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust is observed on 27 January, 2019.
- The theme of the Holocaust remembrance and education activities this year is “Holocaust Remembrance: Demand and Defend Your Human Rights”.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 27 January 2019