Hello and welcome to exampundit. Since Current Affairs has always been an integral and important part of competitive exams, we have decided to list down Top Weekly Current Affairs, both financial and non-financial every week. Today we are sharing Top Non-Financial Current Affairs June 2018 Week 1 which is June 1 to June 7.
Top Non-Financial Current Affairs June 2018 Week 1
Maneka Gandhi lays the foundation of India’s first Advanced DNA Forensic Lab in Chandigarh
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi on Friday laid the foundation stone of an advanced DNA forensic laboratory here as part efforts to reduce the backlog of cases needing advanced forensic analysis.
- Built at a cost of Rs 99.76 crore from the Nirbhaya Fund, the state-of-the-art ‘Sakhi Suraksha’ lab, will come up at the Central Forensic Science Laboratory campus to assist in investigation and prosecution of crimes including those committed against women and children, an official release said.
Teejan Bai to receive Fukuoka Prize 2018
- Pandavani folk singer Teejan Bai has been chosen as a recipient of this year’s Fukuoka Prize.
- She has been announced the winner of the Arts and Culture Prize.
- The Fukuoka Prize, which has been awarded yearly since 1990 in Fukuoka, Japan, is conferred on outstanding individuals or groups that preserve and create the unique and diverse cultures of Asia.
CWG gold medallist weightlifter Sanjita Chanu fails dope test
- Two-time Commonwealth Games champion weightlifter Sanjita Chanu, who had won a gold in the women’s 53kg category in the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, was tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid, testosterone.
- As a consequence, the Athlete would be provisionally suspended in the view of a potential anti-doping rule violation.
NTPC adopts Charminar under Swachh Iconic Places Project
- NTPC Ltd has adopted the iconic Charminar in Hyderabad under the Swachh Iconic Places Projects of India. This is part of a special drive under the Centre’s Swachh Bharat Mission. NTPC Ltd and the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation have signed a memorandum of understanding for implementation of development and beautification works under the Charminar Pedestrianization Project in Hyderabad.
India Successfully Test-Fires Nuclear Capable Agni-5 Ballistic Missile
- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable Long Range Ballistic Missile Agni-5 from Dr Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast.
- The surface-to-surface missile has a strike range of 5,000 km, which was launched with the help of a mobile launcher from launch pad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Dr Abdul Kalam Island in the Bay of Bengal at 9.48 am, defence sources said.
Priyanka Das appointed ambassador of ‘promote science’ initiative in France
- Assam’s Priyanka Das, working on satellite navigation for French major Safran, has been appointed ambassador for an initiative in France to encourage girls to follow scientific careers and take it to higher education levels.
- “For Girls and Science” initiative was launched in 2014 to promote more scientific vocations among young people, especially girls, and inspire them to become scientists of tomorrow and supported by the Ministry of National Education of France and the L’Oreal Foundation.
India’s Sanjana Ramesh wins the MVP award at Basketball Without Borders Asia
- India’s Sanjana Ramesh was awarded the ‘Most Valuable Player’ (MVP) even as compatriot Vaishnavi Yadav won the ‘Girls Grit Award’ on the fourth and final day of Basketball Without Borders Asia, which featured 66 campers from 16 countries from the Asia-Pacific region.
- The camp got underway with the girls championship game between the New York Liberty and the Minnesota Lynx. Coached on the sidelines by Ruth Riley and Sakshi Sheoran, the Lynx defeated the Liberty 20-13.
Government launches ‘Suvidha’- affordable, biodegradable sanitary napkin
- The Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers, Mansukh L Mandaviya, launched the ‘Janaushadhi Suvidha’, the oxo-biodegradable sanitary napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) in Delhi on June 4, 2018.
- The affordable sanitary napkin will now be made available at over 3600 Janaushadhi Kendras functional in 33 states and union territories across the country.
- The average price of sanitary napkins available in the market currently is around Rs 8 per pad, whereas the Suvidha napkins will be available at Rs 2.50 per pad.
- The initiative will make the basic hygiene requirement aid affordable for the underprivileged women.
Centre proposes to ban obscene depiction of women on internet
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development on June 4, 2018 proposed amendments to the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act (IRWA), 1986 with an aim to ban obscene and indecent depiction of women on internet.
- The amendments have been proposed keeping in view the recent technological developments in the field of electronic communication and are similar to the provisions under section 67 of the Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000.
India’s forest cover stood at 21.34 percent in 2015
- India’s forest cover stood at 21.34 percent in 2015, an increase of 1.29 percent from 2009, as per the Status of Environment Report India 2015 that was released by Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan.
- Mizoram has the highest forest cover among the states and Union territories in the country with 89 percent.
- Assam’s forest cover at 35 percent was the lowest.
Cabinet approves Continuation Programme for GSLV Mk-III
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved funding for the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark-III continuation programme (Phase-I) consisting of ten GSLV Mk-III flights, at a total estimated cost of Rs 4338.20 crores.
- The GSLV Mk-III continuation programme – Phase 1 is the first phase of operational flights that will enable the launch of 4 tonne class of communication satellites to meet the country’s satellite communication requirements.
India moves one notch up to 136th place in Global Peace Index
- India has moved one notch higher to 136th position in the 2018 Global Peace Index prepared by the international think-tank Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), which was topped by Iceland.
- The report that covers 99.7 per cent of the world’s population and uses 23 qualitative and quantitative indicators grouped into three key domains — ongoing conflict, safety and security, and militarisation, noted that “the world is less peaceful today than at any time in the last decade”.
India records 22 per cent reduction in Maternal Mortality Ratio
- India recorded 22 per cent reduction in Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) since 2013, as per the Sample Registration System (SRS) bulletin that was released by the Office of the Registrar General of India on June 6, 2018.
- According to the bulletin, the Maternal Mortality Ratio in India declined from 167 in 2011-2013 to 130 in 2014-2016. The MMR is defined as the proportion of maternal deaths per 1, 00,000 live births.
- The decline in the ratio was most significant in Empowered Action Group (EAG) states from 246 to 188.
West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi to hold additional charge of Tripura
- West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was on June 7, 2018 given the additional charge of Tripura, according to a statement issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Tripathi would be discharging the functions of the Governor of Tripura, in addition to his own duties, during the absence of Tathagata Roy, the Governor of Tripura.
- The statement did not cite the reasons for the leave of the Tripura Governor.
Anupam Kher to be given Lifetime Achievement honour at upcoming IIFA
- Veteran film actor Anupam Kher will be given the prestigious Lifetime Achievement honour at the upcoming International Indian Film Academy awards ceremony in Bangkok.
- He will be presented with the honour on June 24 at the 19th edition of IIFA.
- The 63-year-old actor has worked in over 500 films spanning across languages along with projects both in India and abroad for over three decades.
Join us on Facebook.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?