Hello and welcome to exampundit. Today we are sharing the important Top 10 Current Affairs from December 2018 First 10 days. These are the non-financial Current Affairs from December 1 to December 10, 2018.
Top 10 Current Affairs of December 2018 – 10 Days – Non-financial
(1) South African President Cyril Ramaphosa to be the Chief Guest at Republic Day Celebrations 2019
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will be Chief Guest at India’s 70th Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2019.
- Ramaphosa was invited to be chief guest by Prime Minister Narendra Modi when two leaders met on sidelines of G20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- The announcement comes month after US President Donald Trump declined India’s invitation to be chief guest. The reason citied was “scheduling constraints” of President.
(2) India to host G-20 Summit in 2022
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that India will host the G20 Summit in 2022, when the country celebrates its 75 years of Independence.
- In a tweet, Mr Modi said, in 2022 India completes 75 years since Independence and he looks forward to welcoming the world to the G-20 Summit in that special year.
- Mr Modi invited leaders from across the world to come to India, the world’s fastest growing large economy, and know its rich history and diversity and experience the warm Indian hospitality.
- Prime Minister said, he had requested Italy if it can host the summit in 2021 and allow India to host the G-20 annual summit in 2022.
(3) Qatar to withdraw from OPEC in January 2019
- Qatar decided to withdraw its membership from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) from January 2019.
- The announcement was made by Qatar’s Energy Minister, Saad al-Kaabi at a press conference in Doha.
(4) Gautam Gambhir Retires From All Forms of Cricket
- Indian batsman Gautam Gambhir has announced his retirement from cricket on Tuesday (December 4). The Ranji Trophy game between Delhi and Andhra starting Thursday at the Feroz Shah Kotla will be his last game.
- Gambhir, 37, has played 58 Tests, 147 ODIs and 37 T20Is for India scoring more than 10000 runs combined. He made his debut in 2003 and last played for India in a Test against England in Rajkot in 2016. He retires with nine Test centuries and 11 ODI centuries to his name.
(5) Deepika Padukone First Woman to Reach Top 5 in Forbes India List of Richest Indians
- Deepika Padukone has become the first woman ever to feature in the top 5 of this list. With Rs 112.8 crore earning—courtesy Padmaavat and her many brand endorsements—she features at the fourth position.
- As per the publication, there are 18 women on this year’s list while there were 21 the previous year. Apart from her, Alia Bhatt, Anushka Sharma, Katrina Kaif, PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal are also included in the top 100 list.
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan tops the list with a total earning of Rs 253.25 crore between October 1, 2017, and September 30, 2018. He has been declared the country’s highest paid celeb for the third consecutive year.
- Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli was placed on the second spot with total earnings of Rs 228.09 crore. Actor Akshay Kumar completed the top three with Rs 185 crore tally in the period under consideration for the list.
(6) Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana: Delhi Government launches Free Pilgrimage Scheme for senior citizens
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on December 5, 2018 launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana’ which offers free travel packages for senior citizens from Delhi to five religious circuits. 1,100 senior citizens from every constituency of Delhi will be able to avail this facility at one go.
- Under this free pilgrimage scheme, a Delhi resident above 60 years will be eligible to take free pilgrimage along with his or her spous
- The scheme was approved by the Delhi Government on July 9, 2018. Earlier, the Delhi Cabinet had on January 8, 2018 approved the Revenue Department’s proposal to begin with the Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana.
(7) Gangotri, Yamunotri in Uttarakhand; Amarkantak in MP; and Parasnath in Jharkhand included under PRASAD Scheme
- Union Government included Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttrarakhand, Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and Parasnath in Jharkhand under Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASAD) to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country.
- With the new additions, the number of sites under PRASAD has now reached to 41 in 25 states.
- It was launched in 2014-15 by Union Ministry of Tourism.
- It aims at integrated development of pilgrimage destinations in planned, prioritised and sustainable manner to provide complete religious tourism experience.
(8) Tamil Nadu launches toll-free helpline ‘181’ for domestic violence victims
- The Tamil Nadu government on December 9, 2018 launched a 24-hour toll-free helpline ‘181’ for women facing domestic violence and sexual harassment. The initiative was launched by the state’s Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
- The move will enable women facing domestic violence and sexual harassment at home or workplaces to contact the toll-free helpline to get emergency assistance such as police help, legal aid or medical services including an ambulance.
- The helpline initiative has been developed at a cost of Rs 62.70 lakh.
(9) FAO Council approves India’s proposal to observe International Year of Millets in 2023
- Food and Agriculture organisation, FAO Council has approved India’s proposal to observe an International Year of Millets in 2023.
- In a statement, Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh today said, the 160th session of the FAO Council, currently underway in Rome approved the proposal.
- Millets consists of Jowar, Bajra, Ragi and minor millets together termed as nutri-cereals. In addition, the FAO Council has also approved India’s membership to the Executive Board of the United Nations World Food Program for 2020 and 2021.
(10) First International Conference on ‘Sustainable Water Management’ held in Mohali
- The first International Conference on ‘Sustainable Water Management’ began on December 10, 2018 at Indian School of Business (ISB) in Mohali, Punjab.
- The conference is being organised by Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) under the aegis of the National Hydrology Project of the Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation. It will be held for two days till December 11.
- The theme of the international conference is ‘Sustainable Water Management’.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?