Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here is a set of English Quiz on Cloze Test for upcoming bank and insurance examinations.
Directions (Qs. 1-10): In the following passage there are underlined words, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are given below the passage and against each, four words/phrases are suggested, one of which may replace the underlined words. If no error, then choose E.
The barter system for getting goods and services initiated (1) back many centuries. In most cultures the barter system was used before money was invented (2) . People who had specific items or services would return (3) these with others for the things they needed. Good negotiation was the intention (4) to making good trades. While the barter system produced (5) based on basic needs, today the barter system continues to thrive. The barter system transcends the monetary system. The barter system is making a fading (6) today. What makes the barter system even better today than ever before is that it can now be done globally. In the past, bartering was simply done with those that were located nearby Today, the barter system can be used in a much more better (7) way than ever before yet it carries with it the same basic motivation – the need for something that you don’t have and the excess of something that someone else wants. The barter system is enjoying renewed (8) interest today. Bartering allows you to get the things you need without having to cost (9) additional money. Instead, you can use the things you no longer need or want to get the things you do need. There are swap markets and online auctions that constraint (10) you to sell or trade your items or to purchase items that you want. Negotiation takes place just like it did hundreds of years ago.
- (a) discovered (b) dates (c) began (d) started (e) No improvement required
- (a) bought (b) imagined (c) began (d) emerged (e) No improvement required
- (a) buy (b) sell (c) exchange (d) give (e) No improvement required
- (a) important (b) essential (c) result (d) key (e) No improvement required
- (a) originated (b) stood (c) generated (d) created (e) No improvement required
- (a) issue (b) comeback (c) withdrawal (d) recall (e) No improvement required
- (a) primitive (b) appreciated (c) promoted (d) sophisticated (e) No improvement required
- (a) diminishing (b) revival (c) perishing (d) declining (e) No improvement required
- (a) expend (b) exchanging (c) expand (d) consume (e) No improvement required
- (a) insist (b) force (c) allow (d) lure (e) No improvement required