Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the Daily Current Affairs of 4 December, 2017. These are important for the upcoming IBPS Clerk & RBI Assistant Mains examination.
Financial Current Affairs
AP to set up India’s first solar-wind hybrid project with battery back-up
- Andhra Pradesh is planning to develop a 160 MW solar-wind hybrid project with battery back-up facility.
- Significantly, this is the first such project to be developed in the country.
- Recently, Tesla announced the commissioning of a 100 MW power pack system, the world’s largest, in Jamestown, Australia. G Adiseshu, Managing Director of AP Solar Power Corporation, told BusinessLine that “this will be first such large-scale hybrid project to be attempted in the country with a battery back-up facility.”
- While the solar and wind energy projects would be offered for development through the competitive biding process, the battery back-up will be funded by a soft loan from the World Bank, he said.
- The project, to be developed on a 750-800 acre site, is expected to be tendered out by the Solar Energy Corporation of India.
- Solar-wind energy hybrid projects are relatively new for India, and projects of this nature are expected to set the tone for future projects. The overall cost of a battery-backed renewable energy project would be known once such projects get implemented, he said.
Telangana to soon have world’s first IT campus for differently-abled
- The state government of Telangana on 2 December 2017 signed an agreement with Vindhya E-Infomedia Private Limited to set up the world’s first Information and Technology (IT) campus for differently-abled persons in Hyderabad.
- The agreement was signed on the eve of the World Disability Day (WDD). The proposed campus will focus on creating employment opportunities for persons with disabilities.
- The proposed campus will be set up in an area of 10 acres near the IT park developed by the state Government near the Hyderabad international airport.
- It will have all the amenities including Training, Residential facility and Delivery centres that will cater to both domestic and International clients.
- It mainly aims to provide apt training and employment to 2,000 people over the course of next five years.
This unique initiative by the state government has created history of sorts, as it would be the world’s first-ever exclusive IT campus for persons with disabilities, giving them a much-deserved opportunity of living life with dignity and self-respect.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani inaugurates first phase of Chabahar port
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on 3 December 2017 inaugurated the first phase of the Chabahar port on the Gulf of Oman. Pon Radhakrishnan, Minister of State for Shipping, represented India at the inauguration ceremony of the Phase 1 of the Shahid Beheshti Port at Chabahar.
- Chabahar port is the new strategic route that connects Iran, India and Afghanistan bypassing Pakistan. The port in the Sistan-Balochistan province on the southern coast of Iran is easily accessible from India’s western coast.
- The port is being considered as a gateway for trade by India, Iran and Afghanistan with central Asian countries besides ramping up trade among these three countries.
- The Chabahar port is seen as a response to Pakistan’s Gwadar Port, which is being developed with Chinese investment and is located at distance of around 80 kms from Chabahar.
India’s role in development of Chabahar port
- India has been closely working with Afghanistan and Iran to create alternative, reliable access routes for trade.
- India and Iran on 23 May 2016 signed 12 memorandum of understandings and agreements, among which the most important one was the trilateral transit agreement between India, Iran and Afghanistan on Establishment of International Transport and Transit Corridor.
- Under the agreement, India offered to develop the Port of Chabahar in Iran in order to allow Indian goods to be exported to Iran.
- As per the MoU, India will operate two berths in Chabahar Port Phase-I with capital investment of USD 85.21 million and annual revenue expenditure of USD 22.95 million on a 10-year lease.
- Earlier in October 2017, India had sent its first consignment of wheat to Afghanistan by sea through the Chabahar port, marking opening of the new transit route.
India & States Current Affairs
First global summit on AYUSH & Wellness inaugurated in Delhi
- The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector- AROGYA 2017 was inaugurated by Ayush Minister Shripad Yesso Naik in New Delhi on 4 December 2017. It will conclude on 7 December.
- The main theme of the event is ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’. It is being organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in collaboration with Union government’s Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council (Pharmexcil).
- To showcase the strengths and scientific validation of Indian System of Medicine in the global context.
- To promote and strengthen awareness and interest about AYUSH.
- To facilitate the International promotion, development and recognition of Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa-Rigpa and Homoeopathy.
- To foster interaction of stakeholders and market development of AYUSH at international level.
- To give a boost to AYUSH Products in International Market.
- To exhibit the research and latest developments in AYUSH SECTOR.
- To harness the potential of this fast growing and globally emerging sector.
Global Current Affairs
US, South Korea launch largest aerial drill amidst North Korean threat
- The United States of America and South Korea launched their largest-ever joint aerial drill called ‘Vigilant Ace’ on 4 December 2017. It would conclude on 8 December 2017.
- Around 12,000 US service members, including members of the Marines and Navy, would be joining the South Korean troops on the occasion.
- The annual drill would see participation from six F-22 Raptor stealth fighters and more than 230 aircrafts.
- F-35 fighters will also join the drill along with the largest number of 5th generation fighters.
- The participating aircrafts will be flown from eight US and South Korean military installations.
- The Joint drill has been designed to enhance readiness and operational capability of the two sides.
- It also aims to ensure peace and security on the Korean peninsula.
Days Observed on 4 December
46th Navy Day observed across India
- 46th Indian Navy Day was celebrated on 4 December 2017. The day is observed every year to celebrate the achievements and role of the naval force in the country.
- To commemorate the day, 20 innovations were shortlisted from for central evaluation. These innovations range from innovative repairs to complex system modules to development of new techniques to save money, time and manpower.
- Innovations by Indian Naval Ships ‘Kuthar’ and ‘Vikramaditya’ were selected as the winner and runner-up respectively in the ‘Operational Units’ category.
- While, innovations by the Weapons Electronic Systems Engineering Establishment and Naval Aircraft Yard, Kochi were selected as the winner and runner-up respectively in the ‘Shore Establishments’ category.
We received numerous emails that our Daily Current Affairs format(previous) was not appealing. Hence we are not continuing it.
Don’t forget to download the November 2017 Expected Questions PDF.
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!