Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 30 April 2019. These are important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2019, NHB Assistant Manager, CWC 2019 and SBI PO 2019 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 30 April 2019
Finance and Banking
SBI savings a/c holders with Rs 1 lakh plus balance to get lower interest
- Savings bank account holders in SBI having more than Rs 1 lakh balance will earn a quarter percentage point less interest from Wednesday with the country’s largest lender linking the interest rate to the RBI’s repo or short-term lending rate.
- However, SBI savings bank account holders with less than Rs 1 lakh balance will continue to get 3.5 per cent interest on deposits.
- According to the information provided on the website of State Bank of India (SBI), the interest rate on savings bank accounts with balances above Rs 1 lakh will be 2.75 per cent below the RBI’s repo rate, which currently stands at 6 per cent.
- Hence, the SBI will give 3.25 per cent interest on savings bank deposits with a balance exceeding Rs 1 lakh. At present, the interest rate is 3.5 per cent. The interest is paid quarterly.
Government notifies taking over of National Housing Bank from RBI
- The government has issued a notification taking over the National Housing Bank (NHB) after buying entire stake for ₹1,450 crore from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The RBI has exited the NHB, thus making it a fully government-owned entity. The central bank was holding 100% stake in the NHB, the housing finance regulator.
- The move is part of ending the cross-holding in regulatory institutions and follows the recommendation of Narasimham-II committee report of October 2001 and the RBI’s own discussion paper on the same, titled ‘Harmonising the Role and Operations of Development Financial Institutions and Banks’.
- The Narasimham panel had said the RBI could not own those entities which are regulated by it.
- The RBI has also divested its shareholding in Nabard. The central bank held 72.5 per cent equity in Nabard worth ₹1,450 crore, of which 71.5 per cent amounting to ₹1,430 crore were divested way back in October 2010 and the residual shareholding was divested on February 26, 2019.
NCLT approved merger of IndusInd Bank and BFIL
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved the merger of IndusInd Bank with Bharat Financial Inclusion (BFIL).
- The merger will be completed within 2-4 weeks.
- Post-merger, the BFIL will become a subsidiary of the IndusInd Bank.
- Bharat Financial Inclusion Limited is a Non-Banking Finance Company, licensed by the Reserve Bank of India.
India-US enter agreement to check tax evasion by MNCs
- India has notified the inter-governmental agreement with the US for exchange of country-by-country (CbC) reports on multinational companies regarding income allocation and taxes paid in order to help check cross-border tax evasion.
- The agreement, which was signed by Central Board of Direct Taxes Chairman P C Mody and US ambassador to India Kenneth Juster in March, was notified by the revenue department on April 25.
- This agreement for the exchange of CbC reports, along with the Bilateral Competent Authority Arrangement, will enable both the countries to automatically exchange CbC reports filed by the ultimate parent entities of multinational enterprises (MNEs) in the respective jurisdictions, pertaining to the years commencing on or after January 1, 2016.
India and states
PepsiCo sues Indian farmers over the FC5 potato row
- PepsiCo Inc has sued four Indian farmers on April 29, 2019 for cultivating a potato variety that the snack food and drinks maker claims infringes its patent.
- PepsiCo has sued the farmers for cultivating the FC5 potato variety, grown exclusively for its popular Lay’s potato chips. The FC5 variety has a lower moisture content required to make snacks such as potato chips.
- Farmers believe that section 39 of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights (PPV&FR) Act, 2001 allows farmers to grow and sell any variety of crop or even seed as long as they don’t sell branded seed of registered varieties.
Cyclone Fani expected to intensify into very severe cyclonic storm
- Cyclone Fani is expected to intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm and will continue to move North West and change its path to North East.
- According to the MeT department, Cyclone Fani’s landfall over Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh is ruled out.
- However, the possibility of landfall in Odisha is under continuous watch.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi directed officials to take preventive measures to deal with Cyclone Fani.
- The National Disaster Response Force and Indian Coast Guard have been put on high and placed at the disposal of State Government Authorities.
Cyclone Fani: Home Ministry orders for advance release of financial assistance of Rs 1086 crore for four states
- The Home Ministry has ordered for advance release of financial assistance of 1086 crore rupees for four states to assist them in undertaking preventive and relief measures in response to cyclonic storm FANI.
- Based on the decision of National Crisis Management Committee, NCMC, the amount will be released to their State Disaster Response Fund, SDRF.
- Around 200 crore rupees for Andhra Pradesh, over 340 crore for Odisha, 309 crore for Tamil Nadu and 235 crore rupees for West Bengal have been sanctioned.
Nirmala Sitharaman attends SCO Defence Ministers’ conclave at Bishkek
- The Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ conclave was held at Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan on April 29, 2019.
- During the conclave, ways to further boost defence and security cooperation among the member countries in the wake of evolving security challenges in the region were discussed.
- India was represented by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who held bilateral meetings with her Chinese and Russian counterparts and Chief of General Staff of Kyrgyz Armed Forces. Key bilateral defence issues, including defence co-operation, were discussed.
First Air India flight requiring no “additional fuel” takes off
- In a first, an Air India flight landed at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad from New Delhi on April 29, 2019 without provision for additional fuel which was hitherto necessary to carry in case of flight diversion.
- It was the first flight in the country that flew without carrying any additional fuel. The same procedure is expected to be implemented over a period of time for all the 15 Air India flights that travel to Hyderabad.
- According to a release issued by the national carrier, regulations require that every aircraft has to carry enough fuel to fly to the destination and also to an alternative airport in case of flight diversion. This was resulting in a lot of dead weight to be carried if there is no diversion.
Environment Ministry constitutes committee to implement National Clean Air Programme
- The Union Environment Ministry has constituted a new committee to implement the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), which aims to cut pollution in the 102 worst affected cities by 20-30 percent by 2024.
- The committee will be chaired by the Secretary in the Union Environment Ministry. Its members will include the Joint Secretary (Thermal), Ministry of Power, TERI Director General and Professor Sachidananda Tripathi from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- The committee would be headquartered in New Delhi and its key role will include ensuring inter-ministerial organisation and cooperation, sharing information and resolving issues that could arise between ministries. The committee would also give overall guidance and directions to effectively implement the programmes.
Bajrang Punia becomes first Indian wrestler to fight at New York’s Madison Square Garden
- Bajrang Punia became first Indian wrestler to be invited by American wrestling body for a special fight at iconic Madison Square Garden in New York, United States.
- Punia will take on two-time US national champion Yianni Diakomahlis in “Grapple at the Garden” Beat the Streets fight night event, a major showcase platform for international wrestling since 2010.
- India’s number one wrestler, Punia is among other top wrestlers selected by American wrestling body for tournament scheduled to be held on May 6, 2019.
Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia recommended for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) on April 29, 2019 recommended the names of Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019.
- Currently, the number one wrestler, Bajrang Punia recently marked his authority over Asia after winning the Asian Wrestling Championships 2019 in Xi’an, China.
Raheem Sterling named 2019 FWA footballer of the year
- Raheem Sterling has been named the 2019 footballer of the year by the Football Writers’ Association (FWA).
- The Manchester City and England forward topped the poll of the 400-strong FWA membership as a clear winner, with 62 percent of the votes. It was more than 100 votes ahead of Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk.
International Dance Day observed
- International Dance Day is observed on 29 April, 2019.
- The message author of International Dance Day was Karima Mansour from Egypt.
International Jazz Day observed
- International Jazz Day is observed on 30 April, 2019.
- The 2019 edition of International Jazz Day, will be launched in Australia and will be celebrated in more than 190 countries around the world.
3,000-kg garbage collected from Mt. Everest
- A total of 3,000 kg of solid waste has been collected from Mt. Everest since the launch of an ambitious clean-up campaign in Nepal on April 14, 2019.
- The campaign is aimed at bringing back tonnes of trash from the world’s highest peak Mt. Everest.
- The ‘Everest Cleaning Campaign’, led by Solukhumbu district’s Khumbu Pasanglhamu Rural Municipality, aims to collect nearly 10000 kgs of garbage from Mt. Everest.
- Of the 3,000 kg garbage collected, 2000 kg was sent to Okhaldhunga while the remaining 1000 kg were brought to Kathmandu using Nepali Army helicopters for disposal.
Sri Lankan President announces ban on face veil after Easter attacks
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on April 28, 2019 announced a ban on covering of the face with burqa, veil or in any manner that prevents identification of the person.
- The order comes a week after coordinated blasts hit three churches and three luxury hotels in the nation, killing over 250 people and injuring more than 500 others.
Indonesia plans to relocate its capital from Jakarta
- Indonesia on April 29, 2019 announced its plans to move its capital away from Jakarta.
- President Joko Widodo’s government plans to establish a new Capital out of the crowded Java Island to ensure more equitable development of the country amid environmental concerns and overcrowding issues.
- The new location is yet unknown. President Widodo-led government looks forward to form the Capital similar to Washington D.C. and letting Jakarta sustain as the business, trade and financial hub, similar to New York in the United States.
World’s first floating nuclear power plant to begin operations
- Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s only floating nuclear power unit is ready to start commercial operations in Russia. The plant was launched by Russia on May 19, 2018 at the St Petersburg shipyard.
- The power plant is ready to start generating power after a series of comprehensive and successful tests on its twin KLT-40 reactor system.
- The power plant is expected to receive its operating license by July, subject to the test results.
Oldest human footprint found in Chile
- Scientists in Chile has recently found oldest single footprint at the paleo-archaeological site Pilauco (Osorno, Chile). It is a single footprint, discovered in Chile, dates back 15,600 years.
- Researchers claimed that fossil can reveal new findings about human colonisation of Patagonia. New discoveries were published in the latest edition of the peer-reviewed scientific journal PLOS One.
End of Japanese ‘Heisei’ era: Akihito begins abdication rituals; Naruhito to ascend
- Japanese Emperor of ‘Heisei’ era, Akihito began his abdication rituals on April 30, 2019 at a Shinto shrine, marking the end of his reign with hope for a new era. Akihito announced his retirement before other members of the royal family and top government officials.
- Japan on April 1, 2019 declared ‘Reiwa’ as the name of its new imperial era that will begin on May 1, 2019 once the new Crown Prince Naruhito, son of Akihito, ascends the Chrysanthemum Throne.
- In a separate ceremony, Naruhito will inherit the Imperial symbols of office – sword and jewel, as well as Imperial seals as proof of his succession as the nation’s 126th emperor.
Dilip Kumar appointed as Officer on Special Duty in office of Lokpal
- Senior IAS officer Dilip Kumar was on Monday appointed as the Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the office of Lokpal.
- It is the first official appointment of a bureaucrat in Lokpal.
- Kumar, a 1995-batch IAS officer of Punjab cadre, is at present joint secretary, National Human Rights Commission.
- He has been appointed for a period of six months on additional charge basis or till a new incumbent joins the post, an order issued by the Personnel Ministry said.
Benjamin Netanyahu sworn-in as Israel’s PM
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was among the 120 newly-elected members who were sworn-into country’s new Parliament on Tuesday, three weeks after his victory in national election.
- Ahead of the swearing-in ceremony in Jerusalem, Israeli President Reuven Rivlin delivered a message of national unity to the 120 members of Parliament. He called upon the new members to fight for their common home where secular, religious, ultra-Orthodox, Jews and Arabs can find themselves equal.
Justice P.R. Ramachandra Menon Appointed As New Chief Justice Of Chhattisgarh HC
- The President of India has appointed Kerala High Court Judge Justice P.R. Ramachandra Menon as Chief Justice Of Chhattisgarh High Court.
- On April, 8 the Supreme Court Collegium has recompensed the Government to appoint him as Chief Justice.
Justice Ravindra Bhat Appointed As New Chief Justice Of Rajasthan HC
- President of India has appointed Delhi High Court Judge Justice Ravindra Bhat as Chief Justice Of Rajasthan High Court.
- On April 8, the Supreme Collegium has recommended to the Government to appoint him as Chief Justice Of Rajasthan High Court.
Global Food Policy Report-2019 released
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) has recently released Global Food Policy Report-2019.
- IFPRI’s flagship report reviews the major food policy issues, developments, and decisions of 2018, and considers challenges and opportunities for 2019.
- This year’s Global Food Policy Report highlights the urgency of rural revitalization to address a growing crisis in rural areas.
- Food Policy report says that rural people around the world continue to struggle with food insecurity, persistent poverty and inequality, and environmental degradation.
- Drawing on recent findings, IFPRI researchers and other distinguished food policy experts consider critical aspects of rural revitalization.
- Rural population account for 45.3% of the world’s total population and at least 70% of the world’s population remains extremely poor.
- The rural population suffers from rapid population growth rates, inadequate job and enterprise creation, poor infrastructure, scarce financial services.
- In addition, rural communities bear the brunt of climate change impacts.
- Nearly 50% of rural youth all over the world do not have any formal job they are either unemployed or under-employed.
Former India footballer Kannan passes away
- Former India footballer P. Kannan passed away at a city hospital following prolonged illness. He was 80 and is survived by his wife and two daughters.
- Kannan, who was a forward and made 14 appearances for India, suffered a stroke earlier in the month.
- Born in Vandavasi in Tamil Nadu, Kannan played in Bengaluru, Kolkata and Chennai.
- He represented Universal RC for four years in the Chennai Football Association (CFA) senior division league.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 30 April 2019
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!