Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 28 November 2018. These are important for the upcoming Canara Bank PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 28 November 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to Banking and Finance
RBI launches survey to gauge their scope with respect to turnover, profitability, workforce
- With an aim to create a profile of India’s startup sector, the Reserve Bank has launched a survey to gauge their scope with respect to turnover, profitability and workforce.
- A RBI press release issued from Mumbai on Tuesday informed that the survey would also throw light on the problems faced by the startup sector.
- RBI said the survey forms have been mailed to all startup entities registered with the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
- It adds that other start-ups whose location details could not be verified or those who have recently registered can also participate in the survey by downloading the form from RBI’s website. RBI has said that individual responses or identity of respondents will not be revealed.
Centre to divest 100% stake in Air India arm
- The government on Tuesday gave its nod for divesting its 100 per cent stake in Air India’s profitable ground handling arm — Air India Air Transport Services (AIATSL).
- Civil Aviation Secretary RN Choubey said an inter-ministerial panel headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has approved the bid document.
- The decision is a part of the government’s attempt to revive the loss-making carrier, which includes transferring the carrier’s working capital debt of around Rs 30,000 crore and non-core assets to a special purpose vehicle (SPV).
Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu launches logo and brochure of ‘Logix India 2019’
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu on November 27, 2018 launched the logo and brochure of ‘Logix India 2019’.
- Logix India will enable effective international trade logistics and help provide efficient and cost-effective flow of goods on which other commercial sectors.
- Logix India 2019 is scheduled to take place in New Delhi from January 31 to February 2, 2019.
- This mega logistics event will be organised by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) as a major initiative to improve logistics cost effectiveness and operational efficiencies for India.
- FIEO will focus on investment opportunities in infrastructure development, warehouse consolidation, technology integration, and skilling of manpower.
- Over 20 countries are sending delegations to explore logistics partnerships with India and FIEO is focusing on logistical solutions for difficult to reach markets.
- Over 100 international delegates are expected to attend Logix India 2019
HDFC Bank launches upgraded mobile banking app with biometric log-in features
- India’s biggest private sector lender (according to market value) HDFC Bank Tuesday launched its next-gen mobile banking application that provides enhanced security features like fingerprint and facial recognition based log-in.
- HDFC Bank customers can undertake more than 120 transactions over the mobile application, the bank said in a release.
- The new banking app was launched at the Bank’s annual Digital Innovation Summit 2018 (DIS) in New Delhi.
- The Digital Innovation Summit is a marquee event for the bank to showcase and launch innovative products and services that ride on technology.
Current Affairs related to India and states
Uttarakhand CM Rawat launches India’s first hi-tech State Data Centre
- Chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat on Monday launched the “country’s first hi-tech” State Data Centre (SDC) stating online data repository of all departments would help check leakages of funds besides speeding up delivery and generating employment for local youth.
- Amit Sinha, director ITDA, said the three-tier State Data Centre was developed by Information Technology Development Agency.
- He dubbed the SDC as the first such centre in the country with 100% software based on the Hyper Converged Infrastructure technology.
UGC to set up a consortium for approved journals
- University Grants Commission, UGC has decided to set up a Consortium of Academic and Research Ethics (CARE) which will prepare a fresh list of credible quality journals in the non-science disciplines.
- The commission said the percentage of research articles published in poor quality journals is reported to be high in India which has adversely affected its image. CARE will be headed by the UGC Vice Chairman.
- Members of CARE will prepare lists of quality journals in their respective disciplines within a defined timeframe. These lists will be critically analysed and curated for quality by a special cell at the entrusted institution using defined criteria. Reference List of Quality Journals’ will be maintained by the CARE and this will be used for all academic purposes.
- CARE’s focus will be on journals in disciplines such as social sciences, humanities, languages, arts, culture and the Indian knowledge system. The existing UGC-approved list of journals will remain valid till the CARE Reference List of Quality Journals is released.
PM to inaugurate International conference on maternal, newborn and child health
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate a two-day international conference on Maternal, newborn and child health in New Delhi on December 12, 2018.
- The heads of state from 16 countries and about 1200 participants from across the world are expected to attend the fourth Partners’ forum.
- The programme has been framed around the objectives of the global strategy of Survive, Thrive and Transform.
WCD Minister inaugurates sports meet for children living in child-care institutions
- The Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi on November 28, 2018 inaugurated a sports meet for children living in child-care institutions at JLN stadium in New Delhi.
- The event was organised as a part of the National Festival for Children of Child Care Institutions, Hausla 2018. It saw participation from the contingents of 18 states with over 600 children.
- World Champion MC Mary Kom also attended the programme and administered an oath of sportsmanship to the children.
BPRD to organise 2nd National Conference of Heads of Investigating Agencies
- The 2nd National Conference of Heads of Investigating Agencies will be organised by the Bureau of Police Research and Development in New Delhi on November 29, 2018.
- The two-day Conference will deliberate on various legal aspects, procedures and use of technology in investigation to improve its quality and secure effective prosecution.
- The theme of the conference is capacity building of police investigators in the era of new age crimes.
Southern Railway to introduce weekend premier train services between Coonoor and Mettupalayam in Udhagamandalam
- The Southern Railway has decided to introduce weekend premier train services between Coonoor and Mettupalayam in Udhagamandalam (Ooty), which is a part of the world-renowned Nilagiri Mountain Railway that has been awarded the Heritage Railway Status by United Nations.
- The premier trains will run from Mettupalayam, on the foothills of the Western Ghats on all Saturdays from December 8, 2018, while the return trip will run on all the Sundays.
- The premier train will leave Mettupalayam at 9.10 am and reach Coonoor at 12.30 pm on the same day. On the return leg, the train will leave Coonoor at 1.30 pm and reach Mettupalayam by 4.30 pm. The reservations for the train have been made open to the public.
Current Affairs related to Books
Former PM Manmohan Singh launches “Fables of Fractured Times”
- Former PM Manmohan Singh launched “Fables of Fractured Times” by former union minister Manish Tewari where former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Farooq Abdullah was also present.
- The Fables of Fractured Times is a compilation of articles written by Manish Tewari between 2017 and 2018 which have appeared in the columns of leading newspapers.
- The articles reflect his views on a wide array of issues, trends and events in the domestic and international arena in today’s fractured times.
Current Affairs related to Awards
Wipro Chairman Azim Premji conferred highest French civilian honour
- Indian business tycoon and philanthropist Azim Premji was bestowed with the highest French civilian distinction Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) in Bengaluru on November 28, 2018.
- Premji, who is the chairman of Wipro, received the honour from Alexandre Ziegler, the Ambassador of France to India.
- He received the award for his outstanding contribution to developing the information technology industry in India, his economic outreach in France and his laudable contribution to the society as a philanthropist through the Azim Premji Foundation and Azim Premji University.
Current Affairs related to Appointments
Ranbir Singh Appointed Delhi’s Chief Electoral Officer
- Bureaucrat Ranbir Singh has been appointed as the new Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Delhi, officials said today.
- Mr Singh, a 1991-batch IAS officer, succeeds Vijay Kumar Dev.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs had last Thursday issued the order appointing the 1987-batch IAS officer of the AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territory) cadre.
Arvind Saxena Appointed UPSC Chairman
- The President of India has appointed Arvind Saxena as Chairman, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- The tenure of Mr Saxena as Chairman, UPSC will commence from the date he enters upon the office of Chairman, UPSC.
- The term of his appointment will be till August 7, 2020 when he attains the age of 65 years or till further orders whichever is earlier.
- Mr Saxena joined UPSC as a Member on May 8, 2015, and has been performing duties of the post of Chairman, UPSC since June 20, 2018.
- Prior to joining UPSC as Member, Mr Saxena was working as Director of the Aviation Research Centre (ARC).
Current Affairs related to World
G20 Summit 2018 begins in Argentina
- The 2018 G20 Summit began on November 28, 2018 in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Nineteen leaders of the world’s biggest economies and a representative of the European Union will be holding a meeting on November 30 as part of the G20 summit.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be representing India at the Summit and is scheduled to meet US President Donald Trump, Chinese President Xi Jinping, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Argentina President Mauricio Macri, Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, on the sidelines of the summit.
- US President Donald Trump is expected to hold a trilateral meeting with Prime Minister Modi and Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe on the sidelines of the G-20 Summit.
Donald Trump to hold trilateral meeting with PM Narendra Modi, Japan’s Shinzo Abe
- The White House said in a statement on November 28, 2018 that US President Donald Trump will hold a trilateral meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe this week on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Argentina.
- The trilateral meet, which would be an expansion of the bilateral meeting between Trump and Abe, is a part of the series of meetings Trump would have on the sidelines of the summit in Buenos Aires on November 30 and December 1. Trump will first meet with Abe and then the two leaders jointly will meet with Modi.
- The annual G-20 summit will be attended by leaders of the top 20 economies of the world.
A section of stairs from Eiffel Tower sold for 170,000 euros
- A section of stairs from the Eiffel Tower in Paris was sold for almost 170,000 euros, around three times the pre-sale estimate.
- The auctioneers announced that more than two dozen wrought-iron steps from the original spiral structure, from between the second and third floors of the Paris landmark, were sold to a Middle East collector.
- The auction house, Artcurial originally estimated the sale price to be between 40,000 and 60,000 euros.
Current Affairs related to Sports
BCCI announces two-year ban for age fraud
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India on November 27, 2018 announced that a cricketer guilty of age fraud will be barred from all its recognised tournaments for a period of two years.
- The cricketing body said in a statement, “The BCCI has a zero-tolerance policy for age fraud in sport and has taken strict action against cricketers found guilty of manipulating their date of birth certificates while registering for BCCI tournaments.”
- The BCCI statement relayed that from the 2018-19 season, any cricketer who is found guilty of tampering his or her date of birth will be disqualified and barred from participating in any BCCI tournament for a period of 2 years i.e. 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons.
- Under the new rules, the board will clamp down on cricketers found guilty of tampering with their date of birth certificates
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 28 November 2018