Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 26 October 2018. These are important for the upcoming Indian Bank PO, IBPS PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 26 October 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to Banking and Finance
RBI to inject Rs 40000 crore liquidity into system via open market operations
- The Reserve Bank on Friday said it will inject Rs 400 billion into the system in November through a purchase of government securities as it looks to meet festive season demand for funds.
- For the month of October, the central bank has already injected Rs 360 billion into the system through Open Market Operations (OMO).
- “Based on an assessment of the durable liquidity needs going forward, RBI has decided to conduct the purchase of Government securities under OMOs for an aggregate amount of Rs 400 billion in the month of November 2018,” the central bank said in a release.
- It further said the auction dates and the government securities to be purchased in the respective auctions would be communicated in due course.
Amazon, Maharashtra Industry department sign MoU for separate small and micro entrepreneurship web page
- Maharashtra Industry department on Thursday signed an MoU with online retail giant Amazon for making available the products of small and micro entrepreneurs through a separate web portal.
- “Special efforts are being made by Amazon to provide a comprehensive platform for the sale of small business owners’ products in the state. An independent web page will be created for the entrepreneurs coming through the corporation,” Industries Minister Subhash Desai said.
- “Apart from this, ‘Amazon Saheli’, an independent sector, has been created for women entrepreneurs. Hand-made goods of women entrepreneurs is available through this for sale. So far 85,000 women have sold their products from Amazon,” he said.
Punjab signs MoUs with Israel for agri research, water management
- The Punjab government has signed four MoUs with Israeli institutions to address issues of farmers and depleting groundwater level in the state.
- The memorandums of understandings (MoUs) were signed here in the presence of Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Tuesday, the second day of his five-day visit to the Jewish nation. He had arrived on Sunday evening.
- The MoUs will help boost cooperation between Punjab and Israel in areas such as water conservation as well as agricultural research and education.
- The agreements will “help Punjab secure much needed technical expertise and know-how for strengthening its water management systems and improving its agricultural research and learning”, Chief Minister Singh said.
- To formulate a water conservation and management plan in Punjab, an MoU was signed between the Punjab Water Resources Management and Israel’s Mekorot Development and Enterprise Ltd.
India, Bangladesh sign agreements for enhancing waterways connectivity; Bangladesh opens Chattogram and Mongla Ports
- India and Bangladesh on October 25, 2018 signed several milestone agreements for enhancing inland and coastal waterways connectivity for trade and cruise movements. Bangladesh agreed to open its Chattogram and Mongla ports for trade with India.
- The decisions were taken during the 19th Standing Committee meeting under ‘Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade’ (PIWTT) held at New Delhi.
- An addendum to ‘Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade’ (PIWTT) between India and Bangladesh has been signed for inclusion of Dhubriin India and Pangaonin Bangladesh as new Ports of Call.
- Both the countries signed an agreement to use Chattogram and Mongla Ports in Bangladesh for movement of goods to and from India.
- The two sides also agreed to consider inclusion of Rupnarayan River (National Waterway-86) from Geonkhali to Kolaghat in the protocol route and to declare Kolaghatin West Bengal as new Port of Call. Chilmari was agreed to as a port of call in Bangladesh.
- The new arrangement will facilitate movement of flyash, cement, construction materials etc from India to Bangladesh through Inland Water Transport (IWT) on Rupnarayan River.
Current Affairs related to India and States
PM Modi inaugurates Krishi Kumbha 2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 26, 2018 inaugurated Krishi Kumbha 2018 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh through video conferencing.
- On the occasion, the Prime Minister expressed hope that there will be a record production of food grains during Kharif season and reiterated the government’s commitment to double farmers’ income by 2022.
- The Prime Minister said that events such as Krishi Kumbh greatly benefit the farmers. He said that the Kumbh is a commendable achievement of the Uttar Pradesh government and will open new avenues for farmers in coming days.
- He said that this time the farmers will get increased price for their crops since Minimum Support Price of 21 Rabi and Kharif crops has been increased which was a historic decision.
- The 3-day long Krishi Kumbh is having Haryana and Jharkhand as partner states and Japan and Israel as partner countries.
WCD Minister inaugurates 5th edition of Women of India National Organic Fest 2018
- Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi on October 26, 2018 inaugurated the 5th edition of Women of India National Organic Fest 2018 in New Delhi. The fest will continue till November 4, 2018.
- The event would witness participation from woman farmers and entrepreneurs from across the nation.
- For the first time in this edition of the festival, a vegan food and food court has been introduced.
Manali-Rohtang helicopter service inaugurated
- The Manali- Rohtang helicopter service was inaugurated by Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur on October 25, 2018.
- The service will ply between Manali-Rohtang-Manali. It was started by the state’s Tourism Department with the help of Aryan Aviation.
- It would enable the tourists to watch Solang, Hamta and other attractive places besides Rohtang pass.
HRD Ministry launches the web portal of SPARC scheme
- The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar on October 25, 2018 launched the web portal of the scheme – “Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC)” in New Delhi.
- The SPARC scheme aims at improving the research ecosystem of India’s higher educational institutions by facilitating academic and research collaborations between Indian Institutions and the best institutions in the world.
- The scheme was sanctioned by the Indian Government in August 2018 at a total cost of Rs 418 crore.
- It will be implemented up to March 31, 2020 and the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur has been chosen as the National Coordinating Institute to implement the programme.
- Under the scheme, 600 joint research proposals will be awarded for 2 years to facilitate strong research collaboration between Indian research groups with the best in class faculty and renowned research groups in the leading universities of the world, in areas that are at the cutting edge of science or with direct social relevance to the mankind, specifically India.
Delhi’s air quality deteriorates, slides towards ‘severe’
- The air quality in the national capital deteriorated on October 26, 2018, gradually inching towards the ‘severe’ category, as parts of the massive Bhalswa landfill site continued to smoulder.
- The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) recorded the overall Air Quality Index of Delhi at 358 on 25th morning, which falls in the ‘very poor’ category.
- An AQI between 0 and 50 is considered “good”, 51 and 100 “satisfactory”, 101 and 200 “moderate”, 201 and 300 “poor”, 301 and 400 “very poor”, and 401 and 500 “severe”.
- The Centre-run System of Air Quality Forecasting and Research also reported an AQI in the ‘very poor’ category.
- Fire had raged at the landfill site on October 20. However, by 23rd evening, the flames were somewhat brought under control, as per Delhi Fire Service officials.
Current Affairs related to Sports
Government to set up National Sports Stadium for differently-abled in Meghalaya
- The Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot, announced on October 25, 2018 that a stadium of international standard for differently-abled persons will be set up in Meghalaya.
- The stadium will be constructed at an estimated cost of over Rs 200 crore. The announcement was made by the Minister while speaking at the Samajik Adhikarita Shivir, aids and assistive devices distribution camp, for differently-abled persons.
- The Union Social Justice Ministry intends to set up national sports stadium for differently-abled persons in five states across the country and Meghalaya is one of the states.
- The decision was taken after Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma came forward with the proposal and also provided 50 acres of land for the same.
Pooja Dhanda wins Bronze in World Wrestling Championships
- Indian wrestler Pooja Dhanda on October 25, 2018 won a bronze medal in the women’s freestyle 57kg weight class at the Wrestling World Championships, held in Budapest, Hungary. Dhanda defeated Grace Bullen of Norway 10-7.
- This was India’s second medal at the 2018 Championships. Earlier on October 22, Bajrang Punia had to settle for silver after losing to Japan’s Takuto Otoguro in the 65kg category.
Current Affairs related to Appointments
YB Khurania appointed BSF IG
- Former Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Twin City Police Commissioner YB Khurania was on Thursday appointed Inspector General (IG) of Border Security Force (BSF) on deputation basis for a period of five years.
- Khurania, a 1990-batch IPS officer of Odisha cadre, is presently posted as ADG (Provisioning), Cuttack.
- Additional DGP (Modernisation) Vinaytosh Mishra has been given additional charge of ADG (Provisioning) till posting of a regular incumbent.
M Nageshwar Rao appointed CBI interim director
- The 1986 batch Odisha cadre IPS officer M Nageswar Rao, who has been made interim director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), is known for his acumen in handling disasters in the state as well as neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
- The selection of Rao to head CBI was lauded by many as the country’s premier investigation agency is, for the first time in its history, hit by a situation akin to a disaster.
- Describing Rao as a competent officer, former Odisha DGP Gopal Nanda said the former’s experience will help in proper functioning of the agency.
Current Affairs related to World
Russia successfully launches first Soyuz Rocket since failed space launch
- Russia has successfully launched a Soyuz rocket for the first time since the failure of a similar rocket aborted a manned take-off to the International Space Station (ISS) on October 11, 2018.
- The Russian defence ministry said in a statement on October 25 that a Soyuz-2.1B rocket was successfully launched carrying a satellite for the Russian military.
- According to the ministry, the satellite reached its orbit at the set time. This was the first launch of a rocket from the Soyuz family since the October 11 accident.
Philippine Island once called ‘Cesspool’ reopens to visitors
- The Philippine island- Boracay, which was once called ‘cesspool’ due to overcrowding, partying and neglect, was opened for visitors on October 26, 2018 after a six-month closure to clean waters.
- The officials at the island in central Aklan province have imposed new rules to regulate the influx of visitors and beach parties, decongest resorts and prevent sewage from being discharged directly into the turquoise waters.
- Under the new rules, the visitors will be kept to about 6,000 daily and they will be required to sign an oath agreeing to follow certain strict regulations including proper waste disposal and a ban on bonfires.
Current Affairs related to Awards
India wins CAPAM International Innovations Awards 2018
- India on October 23, 2018 won the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management Award (CAPAM) 2018 for an initiative that envisages quality education for all.
- The initiative entitled ‘Unnayan Banka- Reinventing Education Using Technology of Banka District’, state of Bihar has been awarded under the category ‘Innovation Incubation’.
- Besides this, another initiative entitled ‘Unified Agriculture Markets’ of Co-operation Department of Government of Karnataka was selected under the category of ‘Innovation in Public Service Management’. The initiative has also been awarded the overall Gold Award at CAPAM Awards, 2018.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 26 October 2018