Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 20 December 2018. These are important for the upcoming NIACL AO and IBPS Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 20 December 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Banking and Finance
Govt to infuse Rs 83,000 crore in PSBs in next few months
- The government will infuse 83000 crore in Public Sector Banks in next few months in the current fiscal.
- Briefing media in New Delhi on Thursday evening, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said the recapitalisation will enhance the lending capacity of state-owned banks and help them come out of the RBI’s Prompt Corrective Action, PCA framework.
- He further said recognition of non-performing assets in the public sector banks is complete, and the downslide in bad loans has begun.
- The government on Thursday moved proposal in Parliament for enhanced bank recapitalisation outlay from Rs 65 thousand crore rupees to one lakh six thousand crore rupees in the current financial year to propel economic growth.
States’ Startup Ranking 2018 released: Gujarat ranked Best Performer
- The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) on December 20, 2018 announced the results of the first ever States’ Start-up Ranking 2018. DIPP began the exercise to review the Start-up ecosystem of the states from January 2016.
- Gujarat was ranked as the “Best Performer” in the States’ Start-up Ranking 2018. Gujarat allocated Rs 100 Crore budget for Startups and provided assistance to 200 projects.
- A total of 27 States and 3 Union Territories participated in the exercise.
|States’ Startup Ranking 2018|
|Top Performers||Karnataka, Kerala, Odisha, and Rajasthan|
|Leaders||Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, and Telangana|
|Aspiring Leaders||Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal|
|Emerging States||Assam, Delhi, Goa, Jammu & Kashmir, Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and Uttarakhand|
|Beginners||Chandigarh, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Puducherry, Sikkim, and Tripura|
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates projects worth Rs 9533 Crore in Arunachal Pradesh
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated projects worth Rs 9533 crore at separate events in Roing and Ziro in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The infrastructure projects will transform the picture of states in the North Eastern region of the country by way of development, job creation, tourism and employment for the youth.
- In Roing, Gadkari inaugurated bridges across Dibang and Lohit River System, including approach road between Chowkham-Digaru. The total length of this project is 30.95 km and cost Rs 1508.30 Crore.
- The Minister also inaugurated the recently two-laned, 25.14 km Mahadevpur to Buri Dihing section of NH-52 B, constructed at a cost of Rs 136.60 Crore and 22.23 km Bordumsa- Namchik section of NH-52 B constructed at a cost of Rs 189.91 Crore.
India and states
Maruti Suzuki India, Ministry of Rural Development sign MoU for training rural youth under DDU-GKY
- The Union Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) on December 19, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd for training rural youth for skill development under the flagship Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY).
- The Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY) is the flagship placement linked skill-training scheme of the Ministry of Rural Development.
- Considering the challenges faced by India’s rural youth in getting employment such as the lack of formal education and employability skills, the Ministry decided to partner with Maruti Suzuki India, the leading industry from the automotive sector, under the DDU-GKY.
- DDU-GKY will bridge this gap by funding training projects with an emphasis on placement, retention, career progression and foreign placement of rural youth.
- Maruti Suzuki will provide training to atleast 5000 candidates in two years with assured placement to the rural youth of our country.
India’s largest cancer institute ‘National Cancer Institute’ launched
- India’s largest cancer hospital, National Cancer Institute (NCI) began the trial run of its Outpatient Department on December 18, 2018.
- Located in Jhajjar District, NCI is a project under AIIMS, Delhi.
- It will be headed by GK Rath who is also the chief of Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital at AIIMS.
- It will be the nodal institution for all cancer related activities in India.
Commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla released
- The Department of Posts recently released the commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla, who was associated with Champaran Satyagraha of 1917.
- Rajkumar Shukla made a seminal contribution in drawing the attention of Mahatma Gandhi to the plight of peasants suffering under an oppressive system established by European indigo planters in Champaran (Bihar).
- This struggle was a turning point in India’s fight for independence.
- With this stamp, the Department has released 43 issues in the current calendar year.
NFAI and FTII sign MoU for transfer of land for construction of film storage facility
- National Film Archive of India (NFAI) and Film & Television Institute of India (FTII) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for transfer of three acres of land for the construction of storage facility for films and film material.
- The land belonging to FTII at their Kothrud campus in Pune will be transferred to NFAI for this purpose.
- For decades now, NFAI has been doing remarkable national service by conserving India’s cinematic legacy.
Harsh Vardhan Shringla appointed as Indian ambassador to United States
- India appointed Harsh Vardhan Shringla as the next Ambassador of India to the United States on December 20, 2018.
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla, a 1984-batch Indian Foreign Service diplomat, will succeed Navtej Sarna.
- At present, Shringla is serving as Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
- Senior diplomat Riva Ganguly Das was appointed as new High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
Pranab Kumar Das appointed as Chairman of CBIC
- Pranab Kumar Das was appointed as the Chairman of CBIC with effect from January 2019.
- He will succeed Chairman S Ramesh, who retires on December 31, 2018.
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) is the apex indirect tax policy-making body under the Finance Ministry.
- The CBIC is headed by the Chairman and consists of six members.
LinkedIn appoints Mahesh Narayanan as country manager for India wef Jan 7
- Global professional networking company LinkedIn on Thursday announced the appointment of Mahesh Narayanan, as Country Manager for India, effective January 7, 2019.
- The Microsoft-owned company had been seeking a new head since their India head and vice-president of international products Akshay Kothari, quit in August.
- Narayanan is an entrepreneurial business leader with more than two decades of experience in building and growing digital businesses in South Asia, the company said in a statement.
Nilanjan Roy was appointed as Infosys CFO
- Nilanjan Roy was appointed as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of IT major Infosys with effect from March 1-2019.
- Infosys CEO and MD Salil Parekh, commenting on the appointment, said, “We are delighted to announce that Nilanjan will join Infosys as our CFO.
- Nilanjan Roy joins Infosys from Bharti Airtel where he holds the position of Global Chief Financial Officer.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 20 December 2018