Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 2-3 October 2018. These are important for the upcoming Indian Bank PO, NIACL Assistant and IBPS PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 2-3 October 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to India
Maharashtra signs MoU with US university on artificial intelligence
Maharashtra government and University of Southern California on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to work together on projects related to artificial intelligence.
- The University of Southern California’s Centre for Artificial Intelligence In Society will assist the Maharashtra’s Information and Technology Department to work on various social welfare projects. Milind Tambe of the university and state Information and Technology Secretary S V R Shrinivas signed the MoU in Mumbai.
Third highest national flag installed in Guwahati
Assam on October 2, 2018 joined the rest of the country in celebrating the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi by unfurling India’s third highest national flag and tallest from the average city elevation.
- The 319.5 feet flag pole is the highest in the country with respect to the average elevation of the city.
- Considering only the height of the flag pole, it is ranked the third highest in the country after the one on Indo-Pakistan border at Attari (360 ft) and Pimpri Chinchwad Bhakti Shakti Chawk, Pune (351 ft).
Twitter India unveils ‘Gandhi Emoji’
Twitter has unveiled a ‘Gandhi Emoji’ which users around the world can use in their tweets to celebrate Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birthday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi officially launched the emoji of Mahatma Gandhi on the social media platform. The emoji will be available till October 8, 2018.
- The new emoji, featuring a caricature of Mahatma Gandhi, can be used with hashtags like #GandhiJayanti, #MKGandhi, #BapuAt150, #MahatmaGandhi, #MyGandhigiri, #MahatmaAt150 and #NexusOfGood, among others.
Rajasthan CM inaugurates Dravyavati rejuvenation project
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated Dravyavati River Rejuvenation Project in Jaipur on October 2, 2018.
- The project, which has been executed by Tata Projects Limited, is spread across a 47.5-km-long rain fed riverfront.
- It aims to reduce pollution, create green spaces and treat 170 million litres of sewerage water every day. Dravyavati river was a source of water in the city in the past but with time, it turned into a sewage drain.
- The encroachments were removed from the Nallah which helped restore the river and a 16-km of the riverfront has been completed and dedicated to the public while works for the rest are on.
- More than 17,000 trees, shrubs, and ornamental plants have been planted along the banks of the river.
Odisha launches food security scheme to cover those left out from NFSA
The state government of Odisha on October 2, 2018 launched its own food security scheme to benefit the 25 lakh poor people who were left out of the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
- The State Food Security Scheme (SFSS) was launched by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik through video conferencing on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- While the CM launched the scheme in four districts – Bolangir, Balasore, Sundergarh and Mayurbhanj, the state’s MPs and MLAs launched the programme in the rest of the parts.
National Khadi Festival 2018 held in Mumbai
The National Khadi Festival 2018 is being organised by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to promote Khadi products. The festival was inaugurated by Union Minister for Micro Small & Medium Enterprises, Giriraj Singh in Mumbai on October 2, 2018, on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti 2018.
- The main objective of the festival is to promote the products of cottage industry and create awareness regarding the art of states.
- It is also aimed at providing employment to weavers and workers who are involved in the cottage industry.
Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates ‘IndiaSkills Nationals 2018’
IndiaSkills Nationals Competition 2018, the biggest skills competition of the country, got off to a spectacular start in New Delhi on Gandhi Jayanti.
- Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Minister for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the Competition that will witness over 400 participants from across 27 states and union territories showcasing their talent and competing in 45 skills, 10 traditional skills and four demo skills.
- The audience was regaled to an enthralling fusion dance performance by a troupe including differently-abled dancers, reflecting the spirit of passion and grit.
Current Affairs related to Lists, Reports and Indexes
Infosys, Tata Motors among 12 Indian firms in Forbes’ best-regarded companies list
Infosys, TCS and Tata Motors are among the 12 Indian companies which feature in a list of the world’s best-regarded firms compiled by Forbes.
- Entertainment giant Walt Disney, with a market cap of USD 165 billion topped the list, followed by hospitality major Hilton and Italian carmaker Ferrari at the second and third spots respectively.
- Rounding out the top ten in 2018 are financial services companies Visa at the 4th place, digital payment company PayPal (5th), media company Netflix (6th), Siemens (7th), internet retailer Amazon. com (8th) Marriott International (9th) and Mastercard (10th).
- Housing finance major HDFC was the only company from India’s banking and finance sector to figure in the list and was placed 217th.
- Other Indian companies that made it to the coveted list include Infosys at the 31st place, Tata Consultancy Services (35), Tata Motors (70), Tata Steel (131), Larsen & Toubro (135), Grasim Industries (154), General Insurance Corporation Of India (156), Mahindra & Mahindra (164), Asian Paints (203), Steel Authority of India (227) and ITC (239).
Days observed on October 2, 2018
International Day of Non-Violence observed globally
The International Day of Non-Violence was observed across the world on October 2, 2018, on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the leader of Indian independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
- The day is commemorated every year to disseminate the message of non-violence, including through education and public awareness. The UN resolution, which established the commemoration, reaffirms that the universal relevance of the principle of non-violence and the desire to secure a culture of peace, tolerance, understanding and non-violence.
Current Affairs related to Appointments
Vikram Misri appointed India’s next ambassador to China
Ambassador of India to Myanmar, Vikram Misri has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to China.
- The information was shared by the Ministry of External Affairs in an official release on September 28, 2018.
Iraq Parliament elects Barham Salih as new president
Iraq’s Parliament has elected a veteran Kurdish Politician Barham Salih as the country’s new President. He has named Shiite Adel Abdul Mahdi as Prime Minister of the country. The move will pave the way to form a new government, nearly five months after national elections.
- The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan leader Salih won 220 votes out of the 273 lawmakers who attended the parliamentary session, held on October 2, 2018. Salih was among 20 candidates for the post, including one from the rival Kurdistan Democratic Party.
Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad elected as President of Hockey India
Hockey Bihar’s Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad has now been elected as the President of Hockey India following the 8th Hockey India Congress and Elections held on October 1, 2018.
- Ahmad who formerly held the Secretary-General post will now take over from outgoing President Rajinder Singh after being elected unopposed.
- While Gyanendro Ningombam of Manipur Hockey will take over as the Senior Vice President, Asima Ali of Hockey Jammu & Kashmir and Bhola Nath Singh of Hockey Jharkhand will take over each as Vice Presidents.
Current Affairs related to Awards & Honors
PM Modi receives UN’s Champions of the Earth award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the UN Champions of the Earth award, the highest environmental honour of the United Nations on October 3, 2018. The award was presented by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres at a special ceremony in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that Prime Minister Modi is a leader who realises the issue of climate change and understands the benefits of climate action. He said that PM Modi knows the problems and also works to solve them. He said that a green economy is a good economy and the technology is on the side of those who believe in a green economy.
- The award was announced on September 26, 2018, on the sidelines of 73rd UN General Assembly in New York.
South Sudanese surgeon honoured at 2018 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award ceremony
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, today honoured Dr. Evan Atar Adaha (Dr. Atar), a surgeon from South Sudan, with the 2018 Nansen Refugee Award at a ceremony in Geneva.
- Atar received the award for his outstanding 20-year commitment in providing medical services to people forced to flee conflict and persecution in Sudan and South Sudan, as well as to the communities that welcome them.
- Presenting the award in Geneva’s Bâtiment des Forces Motrices, Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, said he could think of “three or four reasons” why Dr. Atar was chosen to receive the award.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 2-3 October 2018