Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 15 October 2018. These are important for the upcoming Indian Bank PO, IBPS PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 15 October 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Current Affairs related to Finance and Economy
India gets its first cryptocurrency ATM amidst the central bank’s crackdown
- A new ATM in Bengaluru’s Kemp Fort Mall has become the latest face of the stand-off between India’s crypto-community and its banking regulator.
- The cryptocurrency ATM, India’s first, was launched by the virtual currency exchange Unocoin on Oct. 14. Meant exclusively for Unocoin customers, this ATM can be used to deposit or withdraw money, which can then be used to buy cryptocurrencies from Unocoin’s website or mobile app.
- This week, the exchange plans to put up one such ATM machine each in Mumbai and New Delhi.
- The introduction of virtual currency ATMs comes amidst turbulence in the country’s cryptocurrency ecosystem, involving legal battles, low volumes, and tighter regulations.
- For Unocoin, however, these machines are a way to circumvent the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) crackdown. It says its ATMs have nothing to do with India’s banking system and, hence, do not violate any RBI norms.
NSE signs agreement with Uttarakhand to prompt MSMEs growth
- Leading stock exchange NSE signed a pact with the Uttarakhand government to provide access to capital to MSMEs.
- This agreement will prompt the growth of MSMEs entities in the state.
- It will play an active role in nurturing the SMEs and start-ups by increasing awareness.
- NSE’s SME Platform has currently 182 companies listed, which together have raised over Rs 2850 crore.
First India-Israel Innovation Centre opened in Bengaluru
- India’s first India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, was launched in Bengaluru.
- The IIIC is a significant step towards facilitating penetration of Israeli companies in India.
- It aims to forge local partnerships and joint ventures between companies from the two countries.
- It will provide an ecosystem to support entrepreneurship in both the countries.
Current Affairs related to India and states
Pune selected as India’s first lighthouse city for Urban Mobility Lab
- Pune has been selected as India’s first Lighthouse City for an urban mobility lab, in a program led by the Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) and NITI Aayog.
- Eight solutions providers from across India and four multi-stakeholder working groups will work to develop innovative mobility solutions for Pune city through the Urban Mobility Lab, led by RMI in partnership with the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC).
- The eight solutions providers participating in this are: Ashok Leyland, Lithium Urban Technologies, Mahindra & Mahindra, Ola Cabs, Ridlr, SUN Mobility, Tata Motors, and Transit Intelligence.
- Pune was selected in NITI Aayog and RMI’s ‘Grand Challenge’ as India’s first Lighthouse City for mobility solutions. The lab will be a platform to support a replicable process for identifying, integrating, implementing, and scaling innovative mobility solutions in Indian cities.
India & Korea ink MoU to promote Medical Devices Sector
- Indian & Korean Medical Device Industry, The Association of Indian Medical Device Industry (AiMeD) has inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with BUSAN TECHNOPARK from Republic of Korea to jointly work to promote medical devices industry in both the countries.
- The agreement was signed by Rajiv Nath, Forum Coordinator, AiMeD and Soo-Hoo Shin Chief of Healthcare Technique Division from BUSAN TECHNOPARK.
- The objective of the MoU signed between the two Countries is to promote the development of business relation between India and Republic of Korea, promoting bilateral trade, investment in both countries and the development and exchange of technology.
India, China launch their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats
- India and China launched their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats.
- Ambassador to Afghanistan, Vinay Kumar hosted 10 Afghan Diplomats who will be travelling to India for the 1st India-China joint training programme for Afghan diplomats under the aegis of the Trilateral Cooperation between India, China and Afghanistan.
- An understanding to launch a joint programme was reached during an informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping held in April 2018 at China’s Wuhan city.
Government launches air quality warning system in Delhi to combat air pollution
- The Union Environment Minister Harshvardhan on October 15, 2018 unveiled an air quality early warning system for the Delhi region. The system has been designed with the help of American and Finnish models to predict extreme air pollution levels.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Environment Minister said that with the early information on bad air quality, people can be educated to get well prepared in advance. Talking about stubble burning, the Minister said that there has been a decrease in detection of fire incidents as per satellite mapping in Haryana and Punjab. He said that instructions have been issued to monitor stubble burning in these areas on priority.
Andhra Pradesh announces Rs 5 lakh relief for deaths caused by Cyclone Titli
- The Andhra Pradesh Government announced a relief of Rs 5 lakh each in the case of deaths caused by ‘Titli’ cyclone in Srikakulam district.
- It also sanctioned the distribution of 25 kilos of rice (additional 25 kilos for fishermen), one-kilo dal, one-litre palm oil, one-kilo potato, one-kilo onion and 1/2 kilo sugar per family.
- This assistance is made applicable to those affected by the floods caused by Vamsadhara river.
- A compensation of Rs 30000 per hectare was announced for banana, Rs 25000 per ha for cashew and Rs 20,000 per ha for agricultural crops and assistance of Rs 40,000 per ha for replantation for small and marginal farmers in three years time under MGNREGS.
- For big farmers who lost cashew and coconuts, the subsidy available under the Union Government schemes and the balance will be borne by the State government for a total assistance of Rs 40,000 per ha.
PM Modi to visit Japan for 13th India-Japan Annual Summit
- PM Narendra Modi will visit Japan on October 28-29, 2018 for the 13th India-Japan Annual Summit.
- This will be the fifth Annual Summit meeting between Modi and the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and their twelfth meeting overall since 2014.
- Prime Minister’s visit will reaffirm the traditional bonds of friendship between the two countries and strengthen their multifaceted cooperation in diverse fields.
Current Affairs related to Appointments
BankBazaar appoints former RBI Deputy Governor S S Mundra as advisor
- Online financial services marketplace BankBazaar Monday said former RBI Deputy Governor (DG) S S Mundra has been appointed as an advisor to the company.
- In a statement BankBazaar said Mundra’s expertise will help in driving 100 per cent paperless and presence-less financing by the company in India.
- BankBazaar Co-Founder & CEO Adhil Shetty said as digital mode is increasingly becoming the preferred way to transact, there is a greater need for collaboration between fin-tech, regulators, and financial institutions.
Current Affairs related to Days
International Day of Rural Women observed globally
- The International Day of Rural Women was observed globally on October 15, 2018 with the theme, “Sustainable infrastructure, services and social protection for gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls”.
- The theme places empowerment of rural women at the heart of fulfilling the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Mahila Kisan Diwas being celebrated to increase active participation of women in agriculture
- Mahila Kisan Diwas was celebrated on October 15, 2018 to increase the active participation of women in agriculture.
- Women farmers, entrepreneurs, farming organizations, agricultural scientists and researchers from different states participated in the event.
- In 2016, the Union Government decided to observe 15 October every year as Rashtriya Mahila Kisan Diwas considering that women are contributing in various aspects of agriculture including sowing, planting, fertilising, plant protection, harvesting, weeding, and storage.
Current Affairs related to Reports
Union Government releases Analytical Report of National Health Profile 2018
- Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, on October 13, 2018 released an Analytical Report of the National Health Profile 2018. This is the 12th edition of the health profile.
- The report was prepared by the Central Bureau of Health Intelligence (CBHI), under the aegis of the Directorate General of Health Services. CBHI has been publishing National Health Profile every year since 2005.
- The National Health Profile 2018 covers demographic, socio-economic, health status and health finance indicators, along with comprehensive information on health infrastructure and human resources in health.
National Health Resource Repository (NHRR)
- The National Health Resource Repository is the country’s first ever national healthcare facility registry of authentic, standardised and updated geo-spatial data of all public and private healthcare establishments.
- It provides understanding the health indicators of the country and an opportunity to monitor the situation. It indicates that significant progress has been made in the country for various health outcomes.
- The vision of the NHRR project is to strengthen evidence-based decision making and develop a platform for citizen and provider-centric services by creating a robust and secured IT-enabled repository.
Current Affairs related to Sports
Asian Para Games 2018: India records best-ever show with 72 medals
- India on October 13, 2018 concluded its campaign at the 2018 Asian Para Games in Jakarta, Indonesia with a record medal haul, winning a total of 72 medals that included 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals. India was placed ninth in the overall tally.
- In the last edition in 2014, India had won 33 medals including 3 gold, 14 silver, 16 bronze medals.
- India recorded its best-ever show in the Asian Para Games by bagging 72 medals, including 15 gold. On the concluding day of the competition, Indian shuttlers added two gold and 3 bronze medals.
- With a total of 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, India was placed ninth in the overall tally. This was India’s best-ever performance at the Asian Para Games, as in the last edition at Incheon it had won 33 medals including 3 gold, 14 silver, 16 bronze medals.
- China finished at the top with 319 medals including 172 gold, 88 silver and 59 bronze, followed by South Korea at the second place with 53 gold, 25 silver and 47 bronze and then Iran with 51 gold, 42 silver and 43 bronze.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 15 October 2018