Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 15 March 2019. These are important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2019, NHB Assistant Manager, CWC 2019 and SBI PO 2019 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 15 March 2019
RBI Categorises IDBI Bank as Private Sector Lender
- IDBI Bank has been categorised as a private sector lender following acquisition of majority stake by Life Insurance Corporation, RBI said.
- In January, LIC completed the process of picking up a controlling 51 per cent stake in the nearly crippled IDBI Bank.
- “IDBI Bank has been categorised as a ‘private sector bank’ for regulatory purposes by Reserve Bank of India with effect from January 21, 2019 consequent upon LIC acquiring 51 per cent of the total paid-up equity share capital of the bank,” RBI said in a statement.
- IDBI Bank has been under the prompt corrective action framework of RBI that bans it from corporate lending and branch expansions, salary hikes and other regular activities.
Paytm Payments Bank launches mobile banking app
- Paytm Payments Bank Limited (PPB) has today announced the launch of its mobile banking app that offers users quick, effortless & secured access to their bank account on the go. The new app is presently available for download on Google Play store and shall shortly be available on the Apple app store as well.
- With a simple, & intuitive navigation, the mobile app will enable customers to check their balances, raise a request for physical debits cards, access digital debit cards, etc. Customers will also be able to receive 24×7 help and support through this mobile banking app.
- The new app is the latest addition to PPB’s list of efforts to bring millions of under-banked Indians to the economic mainstream. Launched in May 2017, currently, the bank has enrolled over 43 Million saving bank customers.
India and states
New Delhi, Islamabad agree to work on operationalizing Kartapur corridor
- India and Pakistan have agreed to work expeditiously on operationalizing the Kartapur corridor.
- The corridor will facilitate Indian pilgrims to visit the holy shrine of Gurdwara Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur in Pakistan.
- The agreement was reached during the first meeting between the representatives of the two countries held at Attari in Punjab on Thursday.
- The External Affairs Ministry, in a release, said, the two sides agreed to hold the next meeting at Wagah on 2nd of next month.
NTPC signs pact with Indian Railways for fly ash transportation
- State-run NTPC on Thursday said it has teamed up with the Indian Railways for fly ash transportation, a move that will help enhance ash utilisation at Rihand and Vindhyachal Super Thermal Power plants.
- NTPC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Hazipur-based East Central Railway Zone for transportation of fly ash under Indian Railways’ Special Freight Train Operator (SFTO) scheme.
- According to the company statement, NTPC has become the first entity in the country to sign an SFTO agreement with Indian Railways.
M R Kumar appointed LIC chairman
- M R Kumar was on Wednesday appointed the Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- Kumar was Zonal Manager (in-charge) of North Zone and will hold the post of the LIC Chairman for five years, it said.
- T C Suseel Kumar and Vipin Anand have been appointed as Managing Directors of the LIC for five years.
- Suseel Kumar is Zonal Manager (in-charge), LIC South Central Zone. Anand is Zonal Manager (in-charge), Western Zone.
S S Mundra appointed as chairman of Acuite Ratings
- Acuité Ratings and Research Thursday said that former deputy RBI governor S S Mundra has been appointed as non-executive chairman to its board with immediate effect.
- In high four-decade long banking career, Mundra has served as Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India and as Chairman and Managing Director of Bank of Baroda. He was also RBI’s nominee on the Financial Stability Board (G20 Forum) and its various committees.
- He also served as RBI’s nominee on the Financial Stability Board (G20 Forum) and its various committees.
Sourav Ganguly appointed Delhi Captials advisor for IPL 2019
- Delhi Capitals, formerly known as Delhi Daredevils, appointed former India captain Sourav Ganguly as an advisor for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL), 2019 season, starting on March 23.
- Defending champions Chennai Super Kings will host Royal Challengers Bangalore in the season opener at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
- Ganguly was the captain of Kolkata Knight Riders in the inaugural edition of the IPL in 2008. He played for the Kolkata-based franchise until 2012, following which Gautam Gambhir led them to the title twice.
SC appoints PS Narasimha as mediator to resolve disputes of cricket administration within BCCI
- The Supreme Court on March 14, 2019 appointed senior advocate PS Narasimha as mediator for resolving various disputes related to cricket administration within the cricket body, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- Narasimha will hear the BCCI’s position, and then make recommendations to Committee of Administrators (CoA).
- Narasimha is assisting the apex court as amicus curiae in the BCCI matter.
- The apex court restrained all other courts in India from entertaining any matter pertaining to BCCI and state cricket associations.
Special Olympics World Games 2019 begin in Abu Dhabi
- Special Olympics World Games 2019 began at Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates on March 14, 2019.
- Held in West Asia for the first time, 7,500 athletes will take part in 24 Olympic-style sports over seven days.
- The event is expected to see more than 2,500 women participants, with almost half of them performing in athletics competitions. Saudi Arabia would be sending female athletes for the very first time. It will be represented by 14 women participants.
- Hosts UAE would also be fielding its largest-ever squad of athletes at a World Games, followed by India and the United States.
World Consumer Rights Day observed
- World Consumer Rights Day 2019 was observed on 15 March, 2019.
- The theme of 2019 World Consumer Rights Day is ‘Trusted Smart Products’.
World Speech Day observed
- World Speech Day 2019 was observed on 15 March, 2019.
- The theme of 2019 World Speech Day was “World Citizen: It’s a state of mind”.
China blocks bid to designate JeM Chief Masood Azhar as global terrorist in UNSC
- India will continue to pursue all available avenues to ensure that terrorist leaders who are involved in heinous attacks on Indian citizens are brought to justice.
- New Delhi expressed its disappointment last night over the non-listing of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar as global terrorist under the UN Sanctions regime, as China put technical hold on the proposal.
- The Ministry of External Affairs in a release said this move prevented action by the international community to designate the leader of Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), a proscribed and active terrorist organization which has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack in Jammu and Kashmir on 14 February.
Lingayat pontiff Maate Mahadevi passes away
- Basava Dharma Peetha president Maate Mahadevi passed away at a private hospital in Bengaluru on March 14, 2019. She was suffering from respiratory issues and was undergoing treatment for the past few days in Manipal hospital.
- Maate Mahadevi’s final rites will be conducted on March 15 and before that, her mortal remains will be kept for public viewing at Basava Mantap in Rajajinagar.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 15 March 2019
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?