Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 12-13 December 2018. These are important for the upcoming Canara Bank PO and Clerk 2018 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 12-13 December 2018 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
Banking and Finance
ICICI Bank launches first-ever account exclusively for working women in India
- ICICI Bank today announced the launch of the first ever account exclusively for working women in India. Christened, ‘Advantage Woman Aura Savings Account’, it offers a slew of benefits across categories like ‘banking’, ‘lifestyle’, ‘convenience’, ‘investment & tax planning’, ‘child education’ and ‘protection’.
- The comprehensive bouquet of benefits includes a cashback of Rs. 750 per month on usage of debit cards across key segments, 50% discount on locker rentals and processing fees on home, auto and personal loans. It also offers unlimited free transactions on ICICI Bank as well as Non – ICICI Bank ATMs in India, thereby providing exceptional flexibility.
- ‘Advantage Woman Aura Savings Account’ comes in five variants- regular, silver, gold, magnum and titanium that offers various privileges and benefits to the account holder. The Bank has introduced ‘Magnum’ as a variant for the first time in its suite of savings account offerings.
CBIC notifes ‘Korean Won’, ‘Turkish Lira’ in List of Currencies for Exchange Rate
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) included two currencies – Korean Won and Turkish Lira in the list of currencies for which it notifies the exchange rate.
- Currently, the CBIC notifies exchange rates for 20 currencies for the purpose of valuation of imported and exported goods and now with the inclusion of Lira and Won, the total number is now 22.
- Bilateral trade between India-South Korea grew to USD 16.36 billion during 2017-18 from USD 12.59 billion in 2016-17, while, the bilateral trade between India and Turkey stood at USD 7.2 billion during 2017-18.
- The move will facilitate trade and business by easing the process of conversion of these currencies into INR and vice versa.
Amazon India inks pact with FISME to educate MSMEs about online selling
- Amazon India Thursday said it has partnered with FISME to help micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) tap into opportunities in the e-commerce sector.
- According to the pact, Amazon.in will collaborate with The Federation of Indian Micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (FISME) to conduct various events and workshops across the country that will enable MSMEs sell their products online.
- in, which is locked in a bruising battle with Walmart-backed Flipkart, has been partnering with a number of government bodies and non-profit organisations to bring SMEs on board. These include National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD), UP and Telangana governments, among others.
- Amazon India is also organising a ‘Small Business Day’ on December 16 that will offer customers the opportunity to discover unique and hard-to-find products from MSMEs under its various programmes such as Kala Haat, Amazon Saheli, Amazon Select, and Amazon Launchpad.
President Kovind inaugurates 5th Enterprise India show in Myanmar
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 5th Enterprise India show in Yangon, Myanmar today which was hosted by Confederation of Indian Industry and the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce. The focus of the conference was Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Addressing the gathering of business leaders from both the countries, President said that India has established itself as the fastest growing major economy in the world, the two countries can do much to learn and leverage from each other’s competencies.
- “Through our infrastructure projects, we are enhancing connectivity between our countries. And through Understandings and Agreements, we are facilitating land-border crossing for enhancing trade and tourism.
Ashok Leyland inks MoU with Israel’s Elbit Systems for high mobility vehicles
- Hinduja Group firm Ashok Leyland Wednesday said it has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Israel’s Elbit Systems for high mobility vehicles.
- As part of this agreement, Ashok Leyland will provide high mobility vehicles (HMV) for mounting Elbit Systems’ artillery guns and systems. The integrated systems are targeted for worldwide export markets,” Ashok Leyland said in a regulatory filing.
- Elbit Systems, is engaged in a range of defense areas including land systems, artillery systems and platforms, howitzers, mortars and ammunition.
India and states
Delhi HC bans online sale of medicines across India
- The Delhi High Court on December 12, 2018 ordered a ban on the sale of online medicines by e-pharmacists across the country. The court directed both Central and state government to ensure immediate implementation of the order.
- The HC bench comprising Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice V K Rao passed the judgement while hearing a PIL filed by Delhi-based dermatologist Zaheer Ahmed who complained that lakhs of medicines were being sold on the internet every day without much regulation, posing a huge risk to patients and doctors alike.
- The PIL contested that lakhs of medicines were being sold on the internet every day in an unbridled manner and without any regulation posing a huge risk to people.
- In her plea, Ahmed pointed out that online sale of medicines is not permitted under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Pharmacy Act, 1948.
- The petitioner highlighted that even though the Drug Controller General of India had in 2015 clearly directed all state drug controllers to protect the interest of public health by restraining such sale online, lakhs of medicines continue to be sold online, often even without prescription.
- The PIL stated that the government has failed in its responsibility to protect public health which is its constitutional obligation under Article 21.
UP to establish Umbrella University named after former PM late Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- The Uttar Pradesh Government has decided to establish an umbrella university to control all the medical and dental colleges and nursing institutions in the state. The university will be named after former Prime Minister, late Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The decision was taken in a cabinet meeting headed by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath at Lucknow on December 11.
- The decision of the umbrella university will be quite helpful in controlling the quality of medical education by one syllabus and one education session. It will also help in transparency in entrance and examination system.
Govt approves auction of 683 private FM Radio channels
- The government has approved the auction of 683 private FM Radio channels in 236 cities, some of them in remote areas.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister stated this in a written reply to the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
- Answering a specific question, he said an FM Relay station at Godda in Jharkhand has been approved. The Minister said , a transmitter is being procured for this purpose.
CAG Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Vice-Chair of UN Panel of External Auditors
- Rajiv Mehrishi, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, was elected as the Vice-Chair of United Nations Panel of External Auditors on December 12, 2018.
- His appointment was made during the annual meeting of the panel in New York from December 3 to 4, 2018. The panel discussed various issues concerning audit of United Nations and the agencies under the United Nations System.
- The United Nations Panel of External Auditors is a unique forum for the exchange of information and methodologies to further develop and improve the value and quality of the external assurance process.
- The panel was formed through a resolution by the United Nations General Assembly in 1959.
Uday Shankar appointed as chairman of merged Disney and Star India entity
- As part of the integration planning for the pending acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment of The Walt Disney Company announced plans for the strategic alignment of its consolidated international business units under three key leaders.
- Uday Shankar, who currently serves as President, 21st Century Fox, Asia, and Chairman and CEO of Star India, will become Chairman, Star and Disney India, and President, The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific.
Zoramthanga to be sworn in as Mizoram CM
- Mizo National Front (MNF) President Zoramthanga would be sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Mizoram on December 15, 2018 at Raj Bhavan in Aizawl.
- The Governor also dissolved the seventh state legislative assembly during the day to pave the way for the constitution of the eighth assembly. Outgoing Congress Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla had submitted his resignation an hour before Zoramthanga had staked the claim.
K Chandrasekhar Rao sworn in as Telangana CM
- The President of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), K Chandrasekhar Rao, who led his party to a massive win in the Telangana Legislative Assembly Elections 2018, was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of the state for a second straight term on December 13, 2018.
- All the MLAs-elect unanimously elected Rao as the leader during their meet at the Telangana Bhavan, the TRS headquarters. The oath-taking ceremony took place on the lawns of the Raj Bhavan in Hyderabad at 1.30 pm. Governor ESL Narasimhan administered the oath to the chief minister.
- Along with Rao, party MLC Mohammed Mehmood Ali, who was deputy chief minister in the previous TRS government, took oath as a minister. The full-fledged cabinet will, however, be formed in the next few days.
Bharat Bhushan Vyas took oath as Member of UPSC
- Bharat Bhushan Vyas took the Oath of Office and Secrecy as Member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- The Oath was administered by Arvind Saxena, Chairman of UPSC.
- Vyas is a retired Indian Administrative Service officer of Jammu & Kashmir cadre.
- Vyas joined Indian Administrative Service in 1986.
- He served in State & Centre in various capacities and retired as Chief Secretary of Jammu & Kashmir.
SC Collegium recommends Justice Ravindra Bhat as Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court
- The Supreme Court collegium recommended the appointment of Justice Ravindra Bhat as the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
- Justice Bhat is currently a judge of the Delhi High Court.
- The present Chief Justice of Rajasthan HC, Justice Pradeep Nandrajog, has been recommended to be elevated as SC judge.
- Justice Bhat was appointed as an additional judge of Delhi HC in 2004 and was made a permanent judge in 2006.
International Day of Neutrality observed
- International Day of Neutrality was observed across the world on 12 December, 2018.
- In Neutrality Day across the Central Asian republic are mass festivities and holiday concerts. Ashgabat hosts international conference.
International Universal Health Coverage Day observed
- International Universal Health Coverage Day was observed across the world on 12 December, 2018.
- The theme for the 2018 UHC Day is: “Unite for Universal Health Coverage: Now is the Time for Collective Action.”
Awards & Honors
Mary Kom honoured with Meethoileima title
- The Manipur Government on December 11, 2018 honoured AIBA World Women Boxing Gold medallist MC Mary Kom with the title “Meethoileima” (par excellent queen) at a function in
- The state government conferred the title ‘Meethoileima’ in recognition of her unprecedented feat of winning the sixth gold medal in the recently concluded World Boxing Championship and her illustrious career in the field.
- On the occasion, the state’s Chief Minister N Biren Singh handed over a cheque worth Rs ten lakh to the world renowned boxer.The Chief Minister also declared that the Imphal West DC Road towards Game Village will be named as MC Mary Kom Road.
Japan chooses Chinese character for ‘disaster’ to define year 2018
- Japan selected the Chinese character for ‘disaster’ as its defining symbol for 2018, a year that saw the country hit by deadly floods, earthquakes and storms.
- At the end of every year, the people of Japan vote for the Chinese character they think embodies the key events of the previous 12 months. 20858 people out of 193,214 chose the character ‘disaster’.
- Floods across Japan in July 2018 caused more than 200 deaths and nearly evacuation of 9 million people.
- In the same month, 150 people died due to heat wave and 80000 people were hospitalized.
- The series of disasters had hit the GDP, with the country’s economy shrinking in 3 months.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?