Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs Today 9th August 2019. These are important for the upcoming Exams. Candidates those who were preparing for the examination can use these current affairs and also you can download the same as PDF.
Current Affairs Today – 9th August 2019
IMPORTANT DAYS AND THEMES
9th August: International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples observed on 9th August every year.
- The date marks the day of the first meeting, in 1982, of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations of the Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights.
- This year’s theme is ‘Indigenous Languages’
- It will focus on the current situation of indigenous languages around the world within the framework of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages.
United Nations: It is an International Organization. Its Objective of UN is to not only maintain International Peace and Security but also to develop Friendly relations among nations.
- Founded – 24th October, 1945
- Headquarter- New York,United States
- Secretary General- Antonio Guterres (9th SG OF UN)
- He is from PORTUGAL
- Portugal (Capital/Currency) – Lisbon/ Euro
- United States (Capital/Currency) – Washington, D.C/ US Dollar
9th August: Nagasaki Day
- 9th August is also observed as Nagasaki Day.
- United States on 9 August, 1945 dropped a second bomb on Japan at Nagasaki and the bomb is also known as ‘Fat Man’.
- It was dropped three days after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.
BANKING AND FINANCE CURRENT AFFAIRS
Indian Bank and Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance ink pact
- Public sector Indian Bank inked a pact with private sector insurer Aditya Birla Sun Life to offer life insurance products to the bank’s customers.
- Aditya Birla Sun Life insurance would work with the bank for sales training, product support and ensuring smooth operational processes.
- The documents were exchanged between Indian Bank Managing Director and CEO, Padmaja Chunduru, Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance Company, MD and CEO Ajay Srinivasan.
- Founded: 15 August 1907
- Headquarters: Chennai, India
- Managing Director and CEO: Ms. Padmaja Chunduru
- Tagline: Your Own Bank
SBI Life Insurance, Indian Bank ink Bancassurance pact
- SBI Life Insurance and Indian Bank entered into a bancassurance pact to offer holistic financial planning solutions to the latter’s customers.
- SBI Life will work with Indian Bank to ensure sales training, product support and smooth operational processes in order to offer life insurance policies to its customers.
- The bancassurance agreement was signed in the presence of Padmaja Chunduru and Sanjeev Nautiyal.
- Founded: 15 August 1907
- Headquarters: Chennai, India
- Managing Director and CEO: Ms. Padmaja Chunduru
- Tagline: Your Own Bank
SBI Life Insurance is a joint venture life insurance company between State Bank of India, the largest state-owned banking and financial services company in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Sanjeev Nautiyal
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Max Life Insurance launches ‘Speed Dial – your partner for life’ initiative on fourth ‘Protection Day’
- Max Life Insurance Co Ltd announced the launch of the one-of-its-kind initiative, ‘Speed Dial Max Life Insurance – Your Partner for Life’ further reinforcing its customer obsession.
- Max Life Insurance Company will endeavour to assign every customer a dedicated relationship manager, known as the ‘Partner for Life’ for all their policy-related service needs.
- ‘Partners for Life’ will act as enablers to provide a one stop solution on call, shortening the average wait time a customer has to go through, to get their queries answered. They will also educate customers on the company’s digital service solutions and new products offerings, if inquired.
- The ‘Speed Dial’ initiative is introduced to further protect the promises we have made to our customers through dedicated relationship managers on call.
Max Life Insurance Company Limited is a leading life insurance company in India.
- Founded: 2000
- Headquarters: New Delhi
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Govt sanctions over 5,000 electric buses under second phase of FAME India scheme
- Government has sanctioned five thousand 595 electric buses in 64 cities for intracity and intercity operations under the second phase of FAME India scheme.
- OBJECTIVE: to encourage faster adoption of electric and hybrid vehicle by way of offering upfront incentives on purchase of electric vehicles.
Skill Development Ministry to give training to youths of J&K
- Skill Development Minister Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey informed that the ministry will do its best to give training to youths of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Skill Development ministry is working tirelessly to make the youth of country skilled.
- He launched nominations of National Entrepreneurship Awards for 2019. All entrepreneurs in different categories can apply in neas.gov.in.
- The award function will be held on 9th November, the foundation day of the Ministry.
India’s first underwater train project will soon be operational
- India’s first underwater train project in Kolkata under the Hugli river is about to be completed. Union Railways Minister, Piyush Goyal announced that the metro will soon be operational.
- This train will be an example for the proof of the progress made by Indian Railways.
- This train aims to bring ease to the people of Kolkata and pride to the people of India.
- The Kolkata Metro project is a 16-kilometre long will connect Salt Sector 5 with Howrah Maidan. The phase-one of the project connecting Salt Lake Sector-5 to Salt Lake Stadium will soon be ready for its operation.
- It has been provided with four-layers of protection to shield the tunnel from the water of Hubli river.
Union HRD Minister to launch ‘Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ Drive
- Union HRD Minister to launch ‘Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ Drive to create awareness about water conservation among all school students in the country.
- This mega drive will be launched at Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Auditorium, Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 2 in Delhi Cantt.
- This concept of water conservation is essential for students so that they can understand the importance of water and how it is shaping their lives meaningfully, thereby enabling them to participate in water conservation activities in their day to day lives.
STATE CURRENT AFFAIRS
Odisha govt launched Odisha Small Savings Incentive Scheme
- The Odisha government launched Odisha Small Savings Incentive Scheme, a small savings scheme, for 2019.
- Objective: to prevent people from transacting with suspicious non-banking private financial institutions, in the greed of high returns.
Odisha: Capital City(Bhubaneshwar) CM(Naveen Patnaik) Governor(Ganeshi Lal)
Virasat-e-Khalsa museum in Punjab sets record
- The Virasat-e-Khalsa museum in Punjab’s Anandpur Sahib town is all set to find a place in the Asia Book of Records for becoming the most visited museum in the Indian sub-continent on a single day.
- The Asia Book of Records has confirmed the record of ‘maximum footfall in a museum in a day’ in the name of Virasat-e-Khalsa.
- The museum had witnessed a record footfall of 20,569 visitors on a single day on March 20, becoming the most visited museum in the Indian sub-continent on a single day.
- Punjab: Capital City(Chandigarh) CM(Amarinder Singh) Governor(V P Singh Badnore)
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Papua New Guinea has highest number of living indigenous languages
- United Nations report said that the Papua New Guinea has the highest number of living indigenous languages in the world with 840.
- India stands fourth with 453.
- UN observes the year 2019 as its International Year of Indigenous Languages.
- UN’s Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues reported that nearly 40% of the estimated 6,700 languages spoken around the world were in danger of disappearing and endangered.
Papua New Guinea (Capital/Currency): Port Moresby/Papua New Guinean kina (PGK)
- Monarch: Elizabeth II
- Governor-General: Bob Dadae
- Prime Minister: James Marape
Rohingya refugees receive identity documents, most for the first time
- More than 500,000 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar have been registered in a joint registration exercise by the Bangladesh authorities and UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
- For many of these refugees, it is the first time they have an identity card. The biometric, fraud-proof cards are being issued jointly by Bangladeshi authorities and UNHCR to all verified refugees over the age of 12.
- These cards will help in establishing and safeguarding the right of Rohingya refugees to return to their homes in Myanmar.
UNHRC: The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is a United Nations programme with the mandate to protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people, and assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country.
- Founded: 14 December 1950
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founder: United Nations
- High commissioner: Filippo Grandi
SUMMITS AND CONFERENCES
22nd National Conference on E-Governance inaugurated in Meghalaya
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma inaugurated the two-day-long 22nd National Conference on E-Governance in Shillong.
- The Union Minster congratulated Meghalaya State Government for organizing an elaborate and successful National Conference on e-Governance.
- Altogether 28 states and all Union Territories participated in the conference.
- The Conference is being attended by senior government officers from across India, researchers and eminent personalities from the IT industry.
- The conference is jointly organized by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India; Government of Meghalaya; NASSCOM and Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology, Government of India.
Meghalaya: Capital City(Shillong) CM(Conrad K Sangma) Governor(Tathagata Roy)
AGREEMENTS AND MOU SIGNED
ADB approved USD 200 millions to improve road infrastructure in 34 districts of Maharashtra
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a loan of $200 million.
- OBJECTIVE: to upgrade rural roads to all-weather standards in 34 districts of India’s Maharashtra State to better connect rural areas with markets and services.
- Maharashtra accounted for almost 15% of India’s gross domestic product in fiscal year (FY) 2017, the biggest share among India’s states.
- About 20 million people, or 17% of the state’s population, still live below the national poverty line.
- Agriculture accounts for about 47% of employment, engages as much as 79% of the rural labor force, and contributes 11% to the state gross domestic product.
ADB: The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank aimed to promote social and economic development in Asia.
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Membership: 68 countries
- Purpose: Economic development
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Takehiko Nakao
Maharashtra: Capital City(Mumbai) CM(Devendra Fadnavis) Governor(C. Vidyasagar Rao)
BJP appoints Javadekar, Tomar as poll incharge for Delhi, Haryana
- BJP has appointed Union Ministers Prakash Javadekar and Narendra Singh Tomar as its incharge for elections in Delhi and Haryana respectively.
- The Bharatiya Janata Party also appointed its senior leaders O.P. Mathur and Bhupinder Yadav as poll incharges for Jharkhand and Maharashtra respectively.
- Union Ministers Hardeep Singh Puri and Nityanand Rai wil be co-incharges for Delhi polls while Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Karnataka leader Laxman Sevadi will be co-incharges for Maharashtra polls.
SPORTS CURRENT AFFAIRS
Amla retires from international cricket
- South African batsman Hashim Amla has retired from all international cricket with immediate effect.
- Amla played 124 Tests, 181 ODIs and 44 T20Is between in his 15-year-long cricketing career.
- He went on to make 18,000 runs including 55 centuries and 88 fifty-plus scores across all formats of the game. He is the only South African to have scored a triple century in the Test format.
Mary Kom, Lovlina Borgohain selected for world boxing C’ships
- Six-time world champion M C Mary Kom and Lovlina Borgohain have been selected for the upcoming women’s world boxing championships based on their recent performances.
- The 36-year-old Mary Kom, who has already claimed two gold medals this year India Open and a recent tournament in Indonesia, has been selected in the 51kg category.
- World and Asian bronze-medallist Borgohain will be competing in the 69kg category.
- The world championships are scheduled from October 3 to 13 in Russia.
Serena Williams Tops Forbes List Of Highest-Paid Sports Women
- US tennis superstar Serena Williams topped Forbes magazine’s list of the highest-paid women in sports for the fourth straight year.
- The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion earned $29.2 million in the 12-month period.
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka is on 2nd place with total earning $24.3 million.
- Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber is third on the list with total earnings $11.8 million.
- The highest placed athlete from a different sport was US footballer Alex Morgan, who clocked in at 12th. Morgan earned $5.8 million, most of it in endorsements.
- Indian badminton star PV Sindhu and Thai golfer Ariya Jutanugarn were the other non-tennis players in the top 15.
Cricket Australia unveil new transgender inclusive policy
- Cricket Australia announced a new guideline which enables transgender players to play the game of cricket at the highest levels.
- The decision aligns in accordance with the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) gender recognition policy and gender diversity guidelines.
- The policy sets out a testosterone limit for transgender and gender-diverse players who want to play for state and national women’s teams.
Australia (Capital/Currency): Canberra/ Australian dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
DEFENCE CURRENT AFFAIRS
IAF Sukhoi fighter jet crashes in Assam’s Tezpur
- A Sukhoi fighter jet of the Indian Air Force crashed near Tezpur in Assam.
- The Su-30 aircraft was on a routine training mission when it crashed in the local flying area in Sonitpur district.
Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh, Bhupen Hazarika conferred Bharat Ratna
- Former President of India Pranab Mukherjee, late Bharatiya Jana Sangh ideologue Nanaji Deshmukh and late singer Bhupen Hazarika were conferred the Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian award.
- President Ram Nath Kovind gave the award to his predecessor Mr. Mukherjee, Mr. Hazarika’s son Tej, and to Virenderjeet Singh, a close relative of Mr. Deshmukh, at a brief ceremony at the Durbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
NITI Aayog to launch the 4th Edition of Women Transforming India Awards
- The NITI Aayog will launch the Fourth Edition of Women Transforming India (WTI) award.
- TheWomen Transforming India (WTI) Awards is being organized in collaboration with the United Nations to recognize women entrepreneurs from across India.
- This year’s theme is‘Women and Entrepreneurship’, in continuation of the theme for WTI Awards 2018.
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) is a Government of India initiative by NITI Aayog to promote and support aspiring as well as established women entrepreneurs in India, assist and handhold them in their journey from starting to scaling up and expanding their ventures.
NITI Aayog: The NITI Aayog is a policy think tank of the Government of India, established with the aim to achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairman: PM Narendra Modi
- Vice-Chairman: Rajiv Kumar
WWE’s ‘King of the Ring’ Harley Race dies at 76
- Harley Race, the longtime wrestler and promoter best known for playing the arrogant known as “King of the Ring,” passed away at an age of 76.
Download the Daily Current Affairs 9th August 2019 – Click Here
For More Daily Current Affairs – Click Here
Note: We have launched separate webiste for Free PDF which has All Free PDF Materials, Topic wise questions on Reasoning, Aptitude, English, General Awareness, Current Affairs, Insurance Awareness, Banking Awareness, Previous Year Question Paper and more. Visit: pdf.exampundit.in
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?