Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs Today 20th July 2019. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO/ Clerk 2019 Exams. Candidates those who were preparing for the examination can use these current affairs and also you can download the same as PDF.
Current Affairs Today – 20th July 2019
BANKING and FINANCE Current Affairs
ICICI Bank launches digital banking platform ‘InstaBIZ’ for MSMEs
- ICICI Bank launched a new digital platform specially for MSMEs and self-employed customers to enable them to undertake their business banking transactions digitally and instantly named ‘‘InstaBIZ”.
- It allows customers to avail as many as over 115 products and services in a digital and secure manner on their mobile phone or internet banking platform.
- It is the first digital banking platform to enable instant payment of GST using the challan number in a single click payment.
ICICI: ICICI Bank Limited is an Indian multinational banking and financial services company.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na
Standard Chartered becomes first foreign bank to operate from GIFT City
- Standard Chartered will become first foreign bank to launch operations at International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) located at the Gujarat International Finance Tech City (GIFT City).
- Standard Chartered has received in-principle regulatory approvals to set up its IFSC Banking Unit (IBU) in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City)
- The bank is expected to start operations at IFSC by the end of this year.
Standard Chartered PLC is a British multinational banking and financial services company.
- Headquarters location: London, United Kingdom
- CEO: Bill Winters
NATIONAL Current Affairs
Culture Minister inaugurates architectural illumination of Safdarjung Tomb
- Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated the architectural illumination of the historic Safdarjung Tomb in New Delhi.
- A total of 213 technologically advanced LED lights have been used to highlight the 17th century monument.
- Archaeological Survey of India has taken up the project to illuminate the important monuments of Delhi.
STATE Current Affairs
Himachal Pradesh CM receives ‘Victory Flame’ at Mandi
- In Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur received the ‘Victory Flame’ at Mandi.
- The ‘Victory Flam’ that illuminated from the National War Memorial, New Delhi on July, 14 to mark the 20th anniversary of the Kargil Vijay Diwas.
- Objective: to remember the strong determination and courage of those Jawans who fought for the integrity and pride of the nation.
- Himachal Pradesh: Capital City (Shimla) CM (Jai Ram Thakur) Governor (Kalraj Mishra)
New e-challan system, e-payment gateway launched for use of Delhi Traffic Police
- Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik has launched the new e-challan system and the e-payment gateway for the use of Delhi Traffic Police.
- The E-challan devices are enabled with active GPS where the challaning officer and the violator, both can be logged and tracked to a particular geo-location.
- The payment gateway mainly the citizens with the flexibility to log in securely at their convenience and settle the pending violation notices with proof of payment.
- The citizen interface with police improves and becomes more transparent.
- Delhi: CM (Arvind Kejriwal) Lt. Governor (Anil Baijal)
Maharashtra sports dept seeks Rs one cr funds for shooter Rahi
- The Maharashtra sports department has sought funds of over Rs one crore for ace shooter Rahi Sarnobat.
- Sarnobat, who hails from Kolhapur district in western Maharashtra, has qualified for the next year’s Tokyo Olympics.
- Maharashtra: Capital City (Mumbai) CM (Devendra Fadnavis) Governor (C. Vidyasagar Rao)
- State’s Sports Commissioner: Omprakash Bakoria
India’s first garbage cafe in Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh
- The country’s first garbage cafe has been launched in Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh.
- Persons fetching 1 kg plastic waste will be offered a full meal while those collecting 500 grams waste will get a substantial breakfast.
- Ambikapur, which has been selected as the second cleanest city after Indore, plans to use the plastic for construction of roads.
- There is a plan to provide free shelter to the homeless who collect plastic waste. Ambikapur already has a road made with plastic granules and asphalt.
- Chhattisgarh: Capital City(Raipur) CM(Bhupesh Baghel) Governor(Anusuiya Uikey)
- The city of Ambikapur ranked second cleanest city in India after Indore.
Haryana to set up Sports University near Sonipat
- Haryana government approved the proposal to set up first full-fledged sports university in the state.
- The Sports University of Haryana will be the third sports university established by a state government in India after Swarnim Gujarat Sports University (Gandhinagar) and Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University (Chennai).
- The university will be setup at Sonipat.
- Haryana: Capital City (Chandighar) CM (Manohar Lal Kathar) Governor (Satyadev Narayan Arya)
SUMMITS and CONFERENCES
5th International Police Expo 2019
- The 5th edition of International Police Expo 2019 is inaugurated at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi from July 19 to July 20.
- Objective: to focus on everything about police forces even their welfare and fitness as well as all other necessities of Police and other armed forces for their day to day life and other operations.
- At the Expo, more than 25 countries are showcasing combat/armoured vehicles, advanced firearms and a plethora of disruptive technologies in cyber security etc.
RANKS and INDICES
Piyush Goyal to launch Global Innovation Index on July 24
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal will launch the Global Innovation Index, GII on 24th July in New Delhi.
- GII will reveal the innovation rankings of economies and the findings for this year.
- Theme: Evaluating the Medical Innovation Scenario of the Next Decade.
- Director General, World Intellectual Property Organization, Mr. Francis Gurry, will also be present during the event.
- Commerce and Industry Minister: Piyush Goyal
WIPO: The World Intellectual Property Organization is one of the 15 specialized agencies of the United Nations. WIPO was created in 1967 “to encourage creative activity, to promote the protection of intellectual property throughout the world”.
- Founded: 14 July 1967
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- CEO: Francis Gurry
APPOINTMENTS and RESIGNATIONS
Appointments of several Ministers
|Vivek Kumar||Private secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
|IFS Officer, currently working as Director in the Prime Minister’s Office.
|Bharat Lal||Additional secretary in the Jal Shakti Ministry’s Drinking Water and Sanitation department.||IFS Officer, at present additional secretary to the President.|
|Amita Prasad||Chairperson of the Inland Waterways Authority of India in the Ministry of Shipping.||IAS Officer of the 1985 batch|
|Jyoti Arora||Additional secretary and financial advisor in the Electronics and Information Technology Ministry.||IAS officer of the 1987 batch|
|Rajesh Verma||Additional secretary in the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare.||IAS officer of the 1987 batch|
|Indevar Pandey||Additional secretary in the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.||IAS officer of the 1988 batch|
Indian Ambassador to Israel and Republic of Panama
- Sanjeev Kumar Singla appointed as Indian Ambassador to Israel.
- Mr Singla who is a 1997-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, was serving as Private Secretary to Prime Minister.
- Upender Singh Rawat has been named as the Indian Ambassador to the Republic of Panama.
- Israel (Capital/Currency): Jerusalem/ Israeli new shekel
- 10th President: Reuven Rivlin
- 9th Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Republic of Panama (Capital/Currency): Panama City/ United States Dollar, Panamanian balboa
- President: Laurentino Cortizo
Appointment of New Governors of several states
|Madhya Pradesh||Lal Ji Tandon||Anandi Ben Patel|
|Uttar Pradesh||Anandi Ben Patel||Ram Naik|
|West Bengal||Jagdeep Dhankhar||Keshari Nath Tripathi|
|Bihar||Phagu Chauhan||Lal Ji Tandon|
|Tripura||Ramesh Bais||Kaptan Singh Solanki|
|Chhattisgarh||Anusuiya Uikey||Anandi Ben Patel|
|Andhra Pradesh||Biswa Bhusan Harichandan||E. S. L. Narasimhan.|
SPORTS Current Affairs
Aishwarya Pratap Singh clinches gold in rifle 3-position event at Shooting Junior World Cup
- In the Shooting Junior World Cup, Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar clinched gold with a junior world record in the final of rifle 3-position event in Suhl Germany.
- India finished the ISSF tournament on top of the table with 10 gold, nine silver and five bronze for a total of 24 medals.
ISSF: The International Shooting Sport Federation, also known with the acronym ISSF, is the governing body of the Olympic Shooting events in rifle, pistol and shotgun disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events.
- Founded: 1907
- Headquarters: Munich, Germany
- President: Vladimir Lisin
Indian Men & Women’s teams win Commonwealth Table Tennis title
- In Commonwealth Table Tennis Championship held in Cuttack today, India made a record by winning gold in both men’s and women’s category.
- The Indian men won the final match defeating England 3-2. The Indian women team defeated England 3-0 in final match.
- The Indian women team won the gold for the first time in the history in the commonwealth games.
DEFENCE Current Affairs
Indian Army successfully carries out summer user trials of third Generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile- NAG
- Indian Army has successfully carried out summer user trials of third Generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile- NAG at Pokhran Field Firing Ranges in Rajasthan.
- NAG missile has been developed to engage highly fortified enemy tanks in all weather conditions with day and night capabilities.
- Its minimum range is 500 metres and maximum range of four kilometres.
- NAG missile developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
DRDO: The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development.
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Motto: बलस्य मूलं विज्ञानम्; “Strength’s Origin is in Science” (Sanskrit)
- Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
BOOKS and AUTHORS
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launches AIFF Golden Baby Leagues handbook
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju today launched the All India Football Federation’s Golden Baby Leagues handbook 2019-20 on the sidelines of the Intercontinental Cup in Ahemadabad.
- The ‘AIFF Baby Leagues’ renamed as ‘AIFF Golden Baby Leagues’.
- The Leagues aim to provide access to football in localities irrespective of gender, religion, economic background, or ethnic origin.
- The handbook is a guide to help the stakeholder to organise the Golden Baby League.
AWARDS and RECOGNITIONS
Zakir Hussain, Sonal Mansingh among 4 selected for Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships
- Tabla Maestro Zakir Hussain and dancer Sonal Mansingh are among the four eminent personalities who have been selected for the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships in the field of performing arts.
- The two other personalities are dancer and choreographer Jatin Goswami and Bharatnatyam exponent K.Kalyanasundaram Pillai.
- Forty-four artistes were also selected from the field of Music, Dance, Theatre, Traditional, Folk, Tribal Music, Dance, Theatre, Puppetry and Overall contribution or scholarship in the Performing Arts for the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for the year 2018.
- The awards will be conferred by the President Ram Nath Kovind at a special investiture ceremony.
Former Delhi CM Sheila Dixit passes away at 81
- Former Delhi Chief Minister and State Congress President Shiela Dixit passed away in New Delhi at an age of 81.
- A three-time Chief Minister of Delhi, Shiela Dixit unsuccessfully contested the 2019 Lok Sabha election from North East Delhi.
Download the Daily Current Affairs 20th July 2019 – Click Here
For More Daily Current Affairs – Click Here
Note: We have launched separate webiste for Free PDF which has All Free PDF Materials, Topic wise questions on Reasoning, Aptitude, English, General Awareness, Current Affairs, Insurance Awareness, Banking Awareness, Previous Year Question Paper and more. Visit: pdf.exampundit.in
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!