Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs Today 1st August 2019. These are important for the upcoming Exams. Candidates those who were preparing for the examination can use these current affairs and also you can download the same as PDF.
Current Affairs Today – 1st August 2019
IMPORTANT DAYS AND THEMES
1st August: National Mountain Climbing Day
- Every year on 1st August National Mountain Climbing Day is observed.
- It was established in honour of the author’s son, Bobby Mathews and his friend Josh Madigan, for successfully climbing the 46 High Peaks of New York State’s Adirondack Mountains.
BANKING AND FINANCE CURRENT AFFAIRS
RBI allows Bank of China to offer regular banking services in India
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allowed Bank of China to offer regular banking services in the country.
- RBI included ‘Jana Small Finance Bank Limited’ in the Second Schedule.
- The name of ‘The Royal Bank of Scotland plc’ has been changed to ‘NatWest Markets Plc’ in the Second Schedule.
- ‘National Australia Bank’ has ceased to be a banking company within the meaning of the Banking Regulation Act.
RBI: The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central banking institution, which controls the issuance and supply of the Indian rupee.
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: B P Kanungo, M K Jain, N S Vishwanathan
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
India became fifth largest investor in Africa: President Kovind
- President Ramnath Kovind said that trade and investment ties between India and Africa are growing.
- India has become the fifth largest investor in Africa with cumulative investment at over 54 billion US dollars.
- After South Asia, the African Continent is the largest recipient of Indian overseas assistance.
- India is opening 18 new missions, of which seven will be in West Africa.
India needs exports of 1 trillion to become 5 trillion dollar economy: Piyush Goyal
- A/c to Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal, India’s exports will have to contribute at least one trillion dollars to achieve the target of 5 trillion dollar economy.
- The Ministry is working on making India’s export products competitive and simplifying rules and regulations for easy availability of export credit.
- The Minister urged the export and import community to flag issues regarding availability of land, labour and logistics support required in ports, airports and customs to the Ministry.
Kaleshwaram project secures Hyderabad’s water supply for the future
- Telangana government’s massive Rs 80,190-crore Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project was launched in June.
- Kaleshwaram project is expected to provide 56 TMC of drinking water and supply another 10 TMC for industrial purposes.
- Currently the Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWSSB) has supplies 462 million gallons per day (MGD) to the capital city from the Krishna (phase 1, 2 and 3) and Godavari (phase-1) projects, and the Osmansagar, and Himayathsagar reservoirs.
Telangana: Capital City(Hyderabad) CM(K Chandrashekar Rao) Governor(E. S. L. Narasimhan)
STATE CURRENT AFFAIRS
BIS to set up Pashmina testing centre in Leh
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) would set up a Pashmina testing centre in Leh.
- It was announced by BIS Director General Ms. Surina Rajan.
- It will be opened in partnership with the lab of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC).
- ‘Drive for Pashmina’, a Motor bike expedition to create awareness and promote Pashmina is flagged by the Hill council CEC Gyal P Wangyal and BIS DG Surina Rajan.
BIS: The Bureau of Indian Standards is the national Standards Body of India working under the aegis of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India.
- Founded: 23 December 1986
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
Arvind Kejriwal says Delhiites to get free electricity up to 200 units
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today announced that Delhiites will get cheapest electricity in the country.
- Consumers consuming up to 200 units of electricity will not need to pay their power bills.
- Delhi government will continue to give 50 percent power subsidy to those consuming 201 to 401 units of electricity.
- For 250 units people in the Delhi used to pay 800 rupees but now they will pay 252 rupees.
- For 300 units, they used to pay 971 rupees but now it will be 526 rupees.
- For 400 units, it will be 1075 rupees instead of 1320 rupees.
Delhi: CM(Arvind Kejriwal) Lt. Governor(Anil Baijal)
J&K govt determined to boost Agriculture, Horticulture sectors
- Jammu and Kashmir Government is determined to give thrust to the Agriculture and Horticulture sectors to boost production and improve the socio-economic status of farmers of the state.
- This was announced by Farooq Khan, the Advisor to Governor Satya Pal Malik.
- He directed to organize mass awareness camps in far-flung areas of the State in collaboration with state Agriculture Universities and allied departments.
- Objective: to create awareness regarding various technological interventions and farmer welfare schemes to give results in the field through the increase of production and productivity of agricultural crops.
J&K: Capital City(Jammu(Winter) Srinagar(Summer)) CM(Vacant) Governor(Satya Pal Malik)
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Nepal: Yogesh Bhattarai becomes Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation
- Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has inducted Yogesh Kumar Bhattarai as a new Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation.
- President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to newly appointed minister in Kathmandu.
- Vice President Nanda Bahadur Pun, Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli and other dignitaries were also present at the swearing-in ceremony.
- After the death of previous Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister, Rabindra Adhikari the post was vacant.
Nepal (Capital/Currency): Kathmandu/ Nepalese rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
RANKS AND INDICES
London named world’s best student city in new rankings
- London named the world’s best city for students.
- According to the rankings, India’s best student city is Bangalore at 81st.
- It is followed by Mumbai (85th) and Delhi at 113 and Chennai at 115.
- There are a total of 120 cities in the list.
- This report is released for the second consecutive year.
- London beat Tokyo and Melbourne and came second and third respectively on new worldwide rankings.
- The QS Best Student Cities ranking was done by global education consultancy QSQuacquarelli Symonds.
AGREEMENTS AND MOU SIGNED
India signed an MoU with Gambia
- India and Gambia signed an MoU on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy.
- India has also offered a grant of 5 lakh dollar to the Gambia for skill development and cottage industry project.
- The decision was taken during the delegation-level talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Gambian counterpart Mr Adama Barrow in the Gambia’s capital, Banjul.
Gambia (Capital/Currency): Banjul/ Gambian dalasi
- President: Adama Barrow
India signs deal to acquire R-27 Missiles from Russia
- India signed a deal worth Rs 1500 crore to buy R-27 air-to-air missiles from Russia.
- The main objective of this deal is to boost the capabilities of Indian Air Force (IAF) R-27 air-to-air missiles will be equipped on the Su-30MKI fighter jets.
- R-27 Missile is a medium-range air-to-air missile. It is initially developed for MiG and Sukhoi fighter jets.
Russia (Capital/Currency): Moscow/Ruble
- Prime Minister: Dmitry Medvedev
- President: Vladimir Putin
Rakesh Asthana given additional charge of Narcotics Control Bureau
- IPS officer Rakesh Asthana has been given the additional charge of Narcotics Control Bureau for six months.
- Mr Asthana, a 1984-batch Indian Police Service officer of Gujarat cadre, is presently serving as Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
RN Ravi sworn in as Nagaland Governor
- RN Ravi was sworn in as the Governor of Nagaland today at a function at Raj Bhawan in Kohima.
- Prior to his new appointment, 67-year-old R.N Ravi served as a former Intelligence Bureau officer and an interlocutor for the Naga peace talks.
- Acting Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court, Arup Kumar Goswami, administered him the oath of office and secrecy in the presence of Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio.
Nagaland: Capital City(Kohima) CM(Neiphiu Rio) Governor (RN Ravi)
CCD appoints SV Ranganath as interim chairman
- Cafe Coffee Day Enterprises Ltd appointed SV Ranganath as interim chairman after the sudden death of its founder VG Siddhartha.
- Coffee Day also named Nitin Bagmane as interim chief operating officer (COO) approval by the board.
Dinesh Bhatia accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Paraguay
- Shri Dinesh Bhatia (IFS batch 1992) ambassador of India to the Republic of Argentina appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Paraguay in Buenos Aires.
- Present India’s envoy to Argentina Sanjiv Ranjan appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia.
Paraguay (Capital/Currency): Asunción/ Paraguayan guaraní
- President: Mario Abdo Benítez
SPORTS CURRENT AFFAIRS
Australia Ellyse Perry becomes first cricketer to reach 1000 runs, 100 wickets in T20
- Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry became the first cricketer to reach the rare milestone of scoring 1000 runs.
- She took 100 wickets in the T20 format.
Australia (Capital/Currency): Canberra/ Australian dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
COMMITTEE IN NEWS
Gujarat: 10 Task Forces formed to formulate New Industrial Policy
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has formed 10 Task Forces to examine, review and suggest inputs for formulating New Industrial Policy of the state.
- The Task Force Committee will be headed by Chief Secretary JN Singh.
- The task force has been formed under the senior officials of Forest and Environment for controlling pollution and sustainable industrial development.
- Another task force has been formed under GIDC for matters related to infrastructural development in industries and matters related to land.
Gujarat: Capital City(Gandhinagar) CM(Vijay Rupani) Governor(Acharya Dev Vrat)
Ruhan Rajput honoured with Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2019
- Ruhan Rajput co-founder and Director of Einfolge Technologies Pvt Ltd was awarded the prestigious Entrepreneur Award 2019. The event was held at the JW Marriot Hotel, New Delhi.
- He won the award on 18 July in the category of ‘Entrepreneur of the Year in Service Business. Ruhan was acknowledged for his contributions and achievements in the business industry.
East Bengal to confer Kapil Dev with Bharat Gaurav award
- East Bengal has confered their highest honour, Bharat Gaurav, on India”s first World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev on their foundation day on August 1.
- Kapil had signed for East Bengal on June 22, 1992, and played for 27 minutes six days later as a substitute forward in an exhibition match.
One Nation-one Ration Card scheme implemented on pilot basis in four States
- One Nation-One Ration Card scheme has launched on a pilot basis in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharastra and Gujarat.
- Families who have food security cards can buy subsidized rice and wheat from any ration shop in these states. Their ration cards should be linked with Aadhar Number to avail this service.
- The Centre is intended to extend the programme to all states by August next year so that the portability of the food security card implemented.
Postal department decides to convert India Post Payments Bank to a SFB
- The postal department decided to convert the India Post Payments Bank into a small finance bank.
- Aim: to provide micro credit at the doorsteps to individuals and SME’s. Targeting the milestone of one crore accounts for IPPB in 100 days.
- The decisions were taken at the annual Heads of Circles Conference held at Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir from July 29-31, 2019.
- Objective: to adopt a 100-day action plan and a five-year vision to align the Department of Posts with the Prime Minister’s “New India” initiative.
- The decision included “Converting the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) into a Small Finance Bank (SFB).
IPPB: India Post Payments Bank is a 100% government owned payments bank operating under the Department of Posts.
- Founded: 1 September 2018
- Parent organization: India Post
- CEO: Suresh Sethi
- Headquarter: New Delhi
Government aims to enrol 150 million workers under PM pension scheme
- Union government has enrolled around 150 million workers over the next three years under the scheme Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM).
- The pension scheme will benefit a large pool of people who earn less but form a large part of the labour market.
- The government is likely to achieve the 150 million numbers over the next two to three years. The total enrolment, 50-60 million workers will be from the construction sector.
Cafe Coffee Day owner VG Siddhartha died
- Siddhartha, owner of Cafe Coffee Day was found on the banks of the Nethravathi river near Mangalore. His body was found after a massive 36-hour search operation.
- The reason for his death was stated as tremendous pressure from lenders and some private equity players.
Former Glamorgan Pacer Malcolm Nash Died
- Former Glamorgan pacer Malcolm Nash died at the age of 74.
- He collapsed while attending a sports dinner in London.
- In a career spanning close to 20 years, Nash took 993 wickets in 336 first-class games at 25.87. He also featured in 271 List A games in which he took scalps at an average of 21.27.
Download the Daily Current Affairs 1st August 2019 – Click Here
For More Daily Current Affairs – Click Here
Note: We have launched separate webiste for Free PDF which has All Free PDF Materials, Topic wise questions on Reasoning, Aptitude, English, General Awareness, Current Affairs, Insurance Awareness, Banking Awareness, Previous Year Question Paper and more. Visit: pdf.exampundit.in
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?