Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Current Affairs Today 12th August 2019. These are important for the upcoming Exams. Candidates those who were preparing for the examination can use these current affairs and also you can download the same as PDF.
Current Affairs Today – 12th August 2019
IMPORTANT DAYS AND THEMES
10th August: World Biofuel Day
- World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th of August.
- OBJECTIVE: to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and highlight the various efforts made by Government in the biofuel sector.
- THEME: “Production of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil (UCO)”
12th August: International Youth Day
- International Youth Day is being observed on 12th August every year across the world.
- 12 August was first designated International Youth Day by the UN General Assembly in 1999.
- OBJECTIVE: to raise awareness of challenges and problems facing the world’s youth.
- THEME: “Transforming education”
- International Youth Day 2019 will examine how Governments, young people and youth-led and youth-focused organizations, as well as other stakeholders, are transforming education so that it becomes a powerful tool to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
United Nations: It is an International Organization. Its Objective of UN is to not only maintain International Peace and Security but also to develop Friendly relations among nations.
- Founded – 24th October, 1945
- Headquarter- New York,United States
- Secretary General- Antonio Guterres (9th SG OF UN)
- He is from PORTUGAL
- Portugal (Capital/Currency) – Lisbon/ Euro
- United States (Capital/Currency) – Washington, D.C/ US Dollar
12th August: World Elephant Day
- World Elephant Day is observed on 12 August annually.
- OBJECTIVE: to make people understand to preserve and protect the giant animal elephant.
- On 12 August, 2012, the first international Elephant Day was celebrated.
- This day make people to understand the need for better protection for wild animals, elephants and also to improve the illegal poaching and trade of ivory, better treatment of captive elephants.
12th August 2019: Vikram Sarabhai’s 100th birth anniversary
- The country celebrated the 100th birth anniversary of scientist and innovator Vikram Sarabhai.
- Sarabhai is considered as the father of India’s space program.
- Sarabhai established the Indian National Committee for Space Research in 1962, which was later renamed the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- Apart from ISRO and PRL, he pioneered the setting up of several institutions, such as the Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad, Community Science Centre, and the Darpan Academy for Performing Arts.
BANKING AND FINANCE CURRENT AFFAIRS
RBL Bank launches India’s first health-focused credit card
- Private sector RBL Bank and digital healthcare platform Practo have partnered to launch an industry first co-branded health credit card.
- This credit card is powered by Mastercard and is available on both Practo and RBL mobile apps and websites.
- It offers benefits like unlimited and round-the-clock online consultations with experienced and qualified doctors, one free full body health check-up, while users can use the card to earn points.
RBL: RBL Bank is an Indian scheduled commercial bank.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1943
- Tagline: Apnoka Bank
- CEO: Vishwavir Ahuja
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India first corporate credit card for SMEs launched by B2B payments startup EnKash
- Country’s first corporate credit card for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) lunched by EnKash named ‘Freedom Card’.
- Objective: to avail credit facility for immediate needs and to manage their liquidity.
- EnKash has come up with a corporate card to cater to the varied billing cycles as per the working capital cycles of different businesses.
- The card offers a credit limit for companies to fulfil all business payments including supplier payments, travel & entertainment expenses, utility payments, digital and cloud payments and other business expenses in short duration.
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Shri Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates Mukhyamantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated a scheme Mukhyamantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana.
- This scheme is for the farmers having farmlands of less than 1 acre to 5 acres will be provided by Rs5,000-25,000.
- The launching ceremony was held in 23 districts apart from Ranchi. The benefit of the scheme is about 3000 crores will be sent to the account of 35 lakh farmers.
- The government has promised the farmers to double their income by 2020.
Union Government to launch Uber for tractors app to aid farmers
- India’s agriculture ministry developed a farm equipment rental app for Indian farmers let with hire tractors, rotavator.
- This app will be similar to Uber and this corresponding mobile app is expected to be launched by the end of August.
- The aim of uber tractors project is for the farmers who is not in a position to buy a tractor.
- The Mahindra Group’s start-up on launching Trringo service out of Karnataka where it will help farmers book tractors by the hour via a phone call for rental.
Indian Railways launches onboard shopping
- Indian Railways introduced onboard shopping in train for passengers traveling in the Ahmedabad-Mumbai Karnavati Express.
- The services will start from Thursday and passengers can enjoy it on both the directions of the train.
- This will give the opportunity to passengers to buy FMCG products of daily need while commuting.
- Apart from the cash payment mode, passengers traveling in the train and buying goods can make payment through credit cards, debit cards, Google Pay and Paytm.
Indian Railways: Indian Railways is India’s national railway system operated by the Ministry of Railways.
- Customer service: 139
- Headquarters: New Delhi
CBSE hikes exam fees for SC/ST by 24 times, general to pay double
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has increased the fees of Class 10 and 12 board examinations for SC and ST students from Rs 50 to Rs 1,200, while the amount has been doubled for those from the general category, who will now have to pay Rs 1,500.
- The students appearing for the Class 10 board exams are registered for it when in Class 9, and those appearing for Class 12 are registered when in Class 11.
CBSE: Central Board of Secondary Education
- Founded: 2011
- Chairperson: Anita Karwal, IAS
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
PM Modi to feature in Discovery channel’s show ‘Man Vs Wild’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will feature in a special episode of the iconic survival television series ‘Man Vs Wild’ on Discovery channel tonight.
- It will be broadcast at 9 PM.
- The show will be hosted by renowned adventurer Bear Grylls.
- Shot in a Jim Corbett National Park, the show will create awareness about environmental changes and wildlife conservation.
- The episode will be showcased in over 180 countries across the world on Discovery network of channels.
India cancels Samjhauta Express train after Pakistan suspends operations on its side
- Indian Railways has cancelled Samjhauta Express train after Pakistan suspended operations on its side.
- According to Northern Railway, Pakistan has cancelled the Samjhauta Express running between Lahore and Attari.
- The railways run the train on Sundays from Delhi to Attari and back, while Pakistan used to run the train between Lahore and Attari.
The Samjhauta Express commonly called the Friendship Express, is a bi-weekly train—Thursday and Monday—that runs between Delhi and Attari in India and Lahore in Pakistan.
STATE CURRENT AFFAIRS
Chhattisgarh: 15-km long national flag unfurled in Raipur
- In Chhattisgarh, thousands of students and members of several social organisations unfurled a 15-km long national flag by forming a human chain in Raipur.
- The event, organised by Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam Foundation, entered the Champions Book of World Records (for the longest tricolour).
Chhattisgarh: Capital City(Atal Nagar) CM(Bhupesh Baghel) Governor(Anusuiya Uikey)
Jharkhand govt launches direct money transfer scheme for small farmers
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the Jharkhand government’s ‘Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana’.
- Under this scheme, money will be directly transferred into the bank accounts of farmers in the state and beneficiaries having farm land of less than one acre to five acres, will get 5,000 to 25,000 rupees in their bank accounts.
- Under the Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana, approximately 35 lakh farmers will benefit and by October 3,000 crore rupees will be sent in the accounts of the beneficiaries.
- The launching ceremony was also held in other 23 districts, apart from Ranchi.
Jharkhand: Capital City(Ranchi) CM(Raghuvar Das) Governor(Draupadi Murmu)
Khelo India to be held in Assam from 10th to 22nd January 2019
- The Khelo India will be held in Assam from 10th to 22nd of January 2019.
- 10 thousand youths will participate in the event.
- The Assam government will build 22 thousand play grounds at village level.
Assam: Capital City(Dispur) CM(Sarbananda Sonowal) Governor(Jagdish Mukhi)
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
EAM S Jaishankar arrives in Beijing on 3-day visit to China
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar arrived in Beijing today on a key three-day visit to hold talks with the Chinese leadership.
- A host of issues is sought to be discussed, including finalisation of arrangements for President Xi Jinping’s visit to India later this year for the second informal summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
China (Capital/Currency): Beijing/ Renminbi
- President: Xi Jinping
SUMMITS AND CONFERENCES
MSDE organized the fourth edition of NEA
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) organized the fourth edition of the National Entrepreneurship Awards at New Delhi, India.
- The fourth National Entrepreneurship Awards (NEA) 2019 aims to honour outstanding young first generation entrepreneurs and ecosystem builders for their exceptional contribution in entrepreneurship development.
AGREEMENTS AND MOU SIGNED
Tripura’s Banned Insurgency Group NLFT (SD) signed agreement with Centre to Abjure Violence
- The National Liberation Front of Tripura (SD) agreed to join the mainstream and signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the central government, Tripura government and the NLFT (SD) is led by Sabir Kumar Debbarma.
Tripura: Capital City(Agartala) CM(Biplab Kumar Deb) Governor(Ramesh Bais)
Chandrima Shaha to be the first woman president of INSA
- Biologist Chandrima Shaha will become the first woman to head the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- Previously she was the vice-president of INSA and the director of the National Institute of Immunology in Delhi.
Indian National Science Academy (INSA): The Indian National Science Academy in New Delhi is the apex body of Indian scientists representing all branches of science and technology.
- Founded: 7 January 1935
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- President: Ajay K. Sood
Sonia Gandhi named interim Congress president
- Sonia Gandhi has been named as interim Congress President.
- It was decided that she will be interim party chief till AICC elects new President.
The Indian National Congress is a political party in India with widespread roots. Founded in 1885, it was the first modern nationalist movement to emerge in the British Empire in Asia and Africa.
- Founded: 28 December 1885, Mumbai
- Alliance: United Progressive Alliance
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founder: Allan Octavian Hume, Dadabhai Naoroji, Dinshaw Edulji Wacha
SPORTS CURRENT AFFAIRS
Indian junior shuttlers win 6 medals at Bulgarian Open
- In Badminton, Indian junior shuttlers won six medals at the Bulgarian Junior International Championships which concluded in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria .
- The medals comprised of three gold, a silver and two bronze.
- The gold medals were won by Samiya Imad Faruqui in women’s singles, the duo of Edvin Joy and Shruti Mishra in Mixed Doubles and pair of Tanisha Crasto and Aditi Bhatt in women’s doubles.
- Men’s doubles combination of Ishan Bhatnagar and Vishnuvardhan settled for the silver medal.
- Malvika Bansod and Meiraba Luwang won a bronze each in other singles events.
Bulgaria (Capital/Currency): Sofia/Bulgarian lev
- President: Rumen Radev
Sourabh Verma wins Hyderabad Open title
- In Badminton, reigning national champion, Sourabh Verma clinched the Men’s Singles title in the Hyderabad Open today.
- He beat Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew.
- Extra Shots:
- The 26-year-old Sourabh from Madhya Pradesh had won the Slovenian International in May this year.
- He had also won two Super 100 titles at the Dutch Open and Russian Open last year.
Wrestling: Bajrang Punia wins gold at Tbilisi Grand Prix
- India’s top two wrestlers continued their impressive run this season with Bajrang Punia defending his title at Tbilisi Grand Prix and Vinesh Phogat reaching her fourth final at Medved event.
DEFENCE CURRENT AFFAIRS
Army launches ‘Mission Reach Out’ in Jammu
- The Army has launched “Mission Reach Out” in Jammu to ensure basic necessities and essential services are available in the region post the abrogation of the provisions of Article 370 and reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir.
- A high level “Mission Reach Out” conference to review the prevalent situation in the region was held in the Nagrota Military Station.
- During the conference, the divisional commissioner assured of adequate availability of all basic necessities and essential services to meet the requirements of the people.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Vice President book Listening, Learning and Leading released
- Vice President Shri Venkaiah Naidu released a book titled “Listening, Learning and Leading” of his two years in office.
- The Book “Listening, Learning and Leading” released by Union Minister of Home Affairs Shri Amit Shah. Vice President Shri Venkaiah Naidu received the first copy.
BAFTA LA to honour Steve Coogan with Charlie Chaplin Award
- Actor Steve Coogan won with the Charlie Chaplin Award by the British Academy’s Los Angeles branch.
- He will receive the honor during the 2019 Britannia Awards.
- Britannia Awards are presented by BAFTA Los Angeles.
- It is a branch of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), as a bridge between the Hollywood and British production and entertainment business communities.
Twenty persons conferred with National Youth Award on International Youth day
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju today conferred the National Youth Awards for 2016-17 on twenty individuals and three organisations at a function in New Delhi today on the occasion of International Youth Day.
- The awards aim towards encouraging them to develop a sense of responsibility to the community and also to improve their own potential as a good citizen.
- During the award function, Mr Rijiju also inaugurated a Photo Exhibition on China through Eyes of Indian Youth – 2019.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Huawei launches its own Operating System Harmony OS
- Huawei Technologies launched its own Operating System (OS) named as HongMengOS in Chinese/ HarmonyOS in English. The first version of the OS launched later in 2019.
- It is a part of Huawei’s play in the Internet of Things (IoT).
- It is used across different devices from smartphones to smart speakers and even sensors.
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. is a Chinese multinational technology company that provides telecommunications equipment and sells consumer electronics, including smartphones.
- CEO: Ren Zhengfei
- Headquarters: Shenzhen, China
- Founder: Ren Zhengfei
- Founded: 15 September 1987, Shenzhen, China
Download the Daily Current Affairs 12th August 2019 – Click Here
For More Daily Current Affairs – Click Here
Note: We have launched separate webiste for Free PDF which has All Free PDF Materials, Topic wise questions on Reasoning, Aptitude, English, General Awareness, Current Affairs, Insurance Awareness, Banking Awareness, Previous Year Question Paper and more. Visit: pdf.exampundit.in
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!