Hello and welcome to exampundit. Here are the important Daily Current Affairs 22 February 2019. These are important for the upcoming CWC 2019 and SBI PO 2019 Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 22 February 2019 for Bank, SSC and Competitive Exams
PM Modi’s visit to Korea: India Korea startup hub launched in Seoul
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the India-Korea Startup Hub in Seoul during his visit to South Korea on February 21, 2019 while addressing the India-Korea Business Symposium.
- As part of the global celebrations of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Prime Minister unveiled a bust of Mahatma Gandhi at the Seoul Campus of Yonsei University.
- During his two-day visit to South Korea, Modi will hold bilateral talks with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and will receive the Seoul Peace Prize in recognition of his dedication to international cooperation, global growth and human development.
4TH India-Asean Expo Summit on 21 – 23 February 2019 in New Delhi
- The 4th India-ASEAN Expo and Summit will be held on February 21-23, 2019 in New Delhi.
- This is a flagship event of Department of Commerce, being organised with FICCI to carry forward the momentum and to further strengthen India-ASEAN relations under the Act-East Policy.
- The 4th India-ASEAN Expo and Summit will build upon the success of the previous edition of ASEAN-India Business and Investment Meet and Expo which was held in 2018 as a precursor to India-ASEAN Commemorative Summit.
- The Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) comprises of Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Myanmar, Malaysia, Lao PDR, Indonesia, Cambodia and Brunei. India’s relationship with ASEAN is a key pillar of our foreign policy and the foundation of our Act-East Policy.
India, Sri Lanka ink MoU to establish business centre for ICT incubators in Jaffna
- India and Sri Lanka today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish a business centre for ICT incubators in Jaffna through grant of 25 crore Sri Lankan rupees from India.
- The MoU was signed by High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka Mr. Taranjit Singh Sandhu, and Secretary, Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade Mr. S. T. Kodikara in Colombo in presence of Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe.
- The centre would provide opportunities and enhance the enabling environment for Information Communication Technology (ICT) and other professional services in the Northern region inhabited by minority Tamils.
- The ongoing development projects in the province under India’s grant assistance include construction of Cultural Centre in Jaffna, school buildings to 27 schools, 3000 rainwater harvesting units and 25 model villages among others.
- It is part of Government of India’s continued efforts to assist and cooperate with Government of Sri Lanka in people-oriented development projects.
India and states
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman’s India visit
- The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, who is also the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence of Saudi Arabia, visited India on February 19-20, 2019.
- This first ever visit by his Royal Highness followed the official visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in April 2016 at the invitation of King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud; the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques (Head of State & Government).
- Prime Minister Modi and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) held delegation level talks at Hyderabad House on February 20, 2019 and released the India-Saudi Arabia Joint Statement.
List of MoUs/Agreements signed
- MoU on investing in the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Tourism between the Union Ministry of Tourism, and the Saudi Commission for tourism and national heritage of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- MoU for Cooperation in the field of housing
- Framework Cooperation Program between Invest India and Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA) on enhancing bilateral investment relations
- MoU for Cooperation on Broadcasting between Prasar Bharati and Saudi Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) for exchange of audio visual programme
- Another agreement was signed by Saudi Arabia to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA), launched by Prime Minister Modi
India’s fighter jet ‘LCA Tejas’ now fully combat-ready; gets Final Operational Clearance
- Landmark day for India’s defence sector, India’s first self-made fighter jet, Light Combat Aircraft Tejas MK I (LCA Tejas) on February 20, 2019 received the Final Operational Clearance for induction into the Indian Air Force (IAF) as a fully-weaponised fighter jet.
- The formal declaration of Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of the aircraft was made by Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Secretary of Defence (R&D).
- The military aviation regulator CEMILAC handed over the FOC Certificate and other release-to-service documents to Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa during the ongoing ‘Aero India 2019’ event.
MHA announces to conduct ‘All India Citizens Survey of Police Services’ to test public perception of police
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on February 21, 2019 announced to conduct a pan-India survey called ‘All India Citizens Survey of Police Services’ to gauge public perception of police.
- The survey will be conducted by the Bureau of Police Research and Development with the help of the National Council of Applied Economic Research in a period of nine months.
- The Ministry approved to conduct the survey with an aim to strengthen the model of good governance by acting as a link between the people and the government, considering that a globally accepted way to assess the impact of government initiatives is through public perception surveys.
- The survey will commence in mid March 2019 and will cover a representative sample of 1.2 lakh households spread over 173 districts across the country, based on the National Sample Survey framework.
MHA approves entitlement of air travel to all personnel of CAPFs
- In a significant decision, the Ministry of Home Affairs approved the entitlement of air travel on Delhi-Srinagar, Srinagar-Delhi, Jammu-Srinagar and Srinagar-Jammu sectors to all the personnel of Central Armed Paramilitary Forces (CAPFs).
- The decision will immediately benefit approximately 7,80,000 personnel of the CAPFs in the ranks of Constable, Head Constable and ASI who were otherwise not eligible earlier.
- This includes journey on duty and journey on leave, i.e; while going on leave from Jammu and Kashmir to home and return.
- This facility is in addition to the existing air courier services for CAPFs that have been steadily extended in all sectors by the MHA to help the jawans cut down on travel time during their journey.
Mahatma Gandhi Scholarships awarded to 150 Sri Lankan students
- Sri Lanka’s 150 students from all 25 districts were awarded the prestigious Mahatma Gandhi scholarships for study in India.
- Sri Lankan Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam and Indian High Commissioner Taranjit Singh Sandhu gave the scholarships at a special ceremony in Colombo.
- This is the twelfth year in which India has provided Mahatma Gandhi scholarships to bright students across Sri Lanka.
- India recently opened up new trilingual school in Polonnaruwa and Saraswathy College in Kandy.
Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated VIVID 2019
- The ‘VIVID-Vision Insight and Voices as India goes Digital’- the District Informatics Officer (DIO) meet was inaugurated by National Informatics Centre (NIC) on February 21, 2019.
- VIVID started in 2017, as an annual event, with the objective to empower NIC officials in the field of technology.
- VIVID 2019 will be a landmark event for NIC, it would provide a cohesive and extensive platform for interaction and knowledge sharing.
- The meet will be attended by other Senior Government officials from NIC and Central and State Governments.
Union Minister of State Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti inaugurates 1st Mega Food Park of Tripura
- Union Minister of State for Food Processing Industries Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti inaugurated Sikaria Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd at Village Tulakona in Agartala.
- This is the first Mega Food Park in the state of Tripura.
- The Mega Food Park has been set up in 50 acre of land at the cost of Rs. 87.45 crore.
- The food park is having facilities of fully operational Dry warehouse and material handling of 5000 MT, Pineapple canning and Pulping line of 2 MT/Hr each, Packing Unit, Ripening Chambers of 40 TPD, Cold Storage of 5000 MT with Frozen Storage of 1000 MT, Quality Control, etc.
- It also has fully developed Industrial plots for setting up processing units and Standard Design Factory (SDF) Sheds to provide ready to move in facility for micro and small enterprises.
Environment Ministry, University of British Columbia sign MoU on forestry science
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and University of British Columbia (UBC), Canada signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for next 10 years in New Delhi.
- Both the institutions shall explore opportunities for future collaborations in the field of forestry science through their respective organizations namely Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education, Wildlife Institute of India, Forest Survey of India, Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy and Directorate of Forest Education and University of British Columbia, Canada.
- The MoU will help in exchange of students, researchers and faculty, developing research projects, livelihood opportunities and augment income of the forest based communities.
Justice Uma Nath Singh to take oath as First Lokayukta of Nagaland
- Justice Uma Nath Singh will take oath as the First Lokayukta of Nagaland today. Governor PB Acharya will administer the oath of office to Justice Singh at a ceremony at Raj Bhavan in Kohima at 6:30 in the evening.
- Justice Singh is a former Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court. He will hold the office of the Lokayukta of Nagaland for a term of five years or till he attains the age of 70.
National Informatics Centre to confer Digital India Awards
- The National Informatics Centre (NIC) will organize the fifth edition of Digital India Awards on February 22, 2019.
- The Digital India Awards have emerged over the years as a credible platform to recognize the digital presence and e-Governance efforts of various Government institutions across the country.
- The awards, instituted in 2009, have played a pivotal role in promoting the use of World Wide Web platform as an effective tool for e-Governance.
- Since its inception the Digital India Awards have seen four editions, beginning from 2010, and biennially being conferred in 2012, 2014, & 2016.
US President Donald Trump signs order to establish US Space Force
- US President Donald Trump signed an executive order to establish its Space Force as a new armed service within the Department of Air Force.
- The Space Force will include both combat and combat support functions to enable prompt and sustained offensive and defensive space operations in all domains.
- It will be organized, trained, and equipped to meet and protect the US national interests in the space, consistent with international laws.
- It will organize and train the next generation of warriors to deter aggression and defend the United States.
Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated ISSF Shooting World Cup
- Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) World Cup in New Delhi.
- Various events in the world cup will start from February 23 and will end on the February 27, 2019.
- The ISSF World Cup is crucial for Indian shooting as it has 16 quotas up for grabs for Tokyo 2020 Olympic qualification.
- India is fielding a 23-member squad with 11 shooters in the non-competition Minimum Qualification Score category.
Click below to download the PDF of Today’s Current Affairs 22 February 2019
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?